• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 50-500 too good to be true? (1 Viewer)

I thought maybe you were offering to explain your own techniques for "learning how to get closer"?

Obviously not. :)

Pete

Techniques vary according to what I'm trying photograph. For instance, if I'm trying to photograph waders or waterfowl I use a portable hide but for hedgerow-type birds just picking a likely spot and sitting quietly works for me.

Techniques vary according to what I'm trying photograph. For instance, if I'm trying to photograph waders or waterfowl I use a portable hide but for hedgerow-type birds just picking a likely spot and sitting quietly works for me.

Thanks, I'll have a go.

You don't seem to have any pictures on the gallery here, do you have a flickr/web page of your results?

Pete

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll have a go.

You don't seem to have any pictures on the gallery here, do you have a flickr/web page of your results?

Pete

I have no interest in putting photos on here. I assume most people here know what a bird looks like anyway. I deleted all my flickr images some while ago when the yanks flaunted international law and legalised copyright theft.

well my friend i did not want to participate in this thread until i give it enough time of trial.

now i got it for about 2 months, i can tell you honestly compared with Zuiko 70-300 mm, it is fantastic, if you can afford it go for it and don't hesitate. it is in England about 1000 pounds but i got it from the states for about 1000$, which makes it about 2/3 of the price (i guess).

i will start with the cons:

1- it is heavy, but not 100% impossible to be used hand held, this goes for me, for you gays you will cope with it much easier than i do, but still a tripod is a must.

i got photo 1 and 2 shots i use it hand held, but you have to keep in mind that over here it is very bright and sunny most of the time so with ASA 400 or 620 you are fine specially if you are shooting against a bright BG.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...3/ppuser/71763

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...5/ppuser/71763

2- slow focus, yes to some extent but on the other hand you can control the focus manually and the MF ring is placed just in the right place that makes reaching to it very easy and convenient and it works without the need to turn its button on.

3- It works with the 1.4 TC well but don't go all the way to 500 mm stop at 470mm, go for as low ASA as possible and once again light BG.the attached shot is with the 1.4 TC i know it is not the best in sharpness but you have to consider that this pirina is hyper active and this was 45 mints after sun rise the light was not strong enough for smaller exposure time.

other than these three point all are pors, very fine optics great accurate focus, use the multi points one for distance moving images like flying terns, and the single focusing point for small close subjects, does not need the IS of the camera, i have not used it with this lens, but have to use it all the time with the Zuiko 70-300mm, btw never also used it with the other Zuiko lense like the 45-150 mm and the macro 50 mm.

i hope this make sense to you, i am not a professional , so what i am saying is what i know by experience only..

Attachments

• gp1.jpg
    gp1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
I use a Canon 450d myself but have nothing but praise for the 50-500mm.It is a little heavy but all the quality lenses are.To be honest I find it easier to handhold with it being heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back