• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poss Sib Chiff @Whitburn 22/10/09 (1 Viewer)

Ade George

I caught these two Chiffs and they certainly have an eastern look to them but wouldnt mind peoples opinions on whether they could be tristis or fulvescens race.

Note: the camera flash makes the bird look slightly darker than in natural light but without the flash the picture give a more cold look to the bird

Attachments

• Bird 1 (1).jpg
    Bird 1 (1).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Bird 1 (2).jpg
    Bird 1 (2).jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 166
  • Bird 1 (3).jpg
    Bird 1 (3).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Bird 2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 147
  • Bird 2 (1).jpg
    Bird 2 (1).jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 134
Hi Ade,
For a start, which pics refer to which birds? The second image, in particular, does seem to have appeal for tristis, with its rusty-toned ear coverts and brown upperparts with an apparent lack of green. However, according to a paper by van den Berg in a recent Dutch Birding, variation within tristis trapped on migration in eastern Kazakhstan is greater than commonly believed, with some birds resembling these paler Chiffchaffs that were formerly classed as pro-tristis, and calls and song are of paramount importance in the confident identification. That said, the bird in pic 2 surely isn't an abietinus on plumage tones alone.
Regards,
Harry

Agree with Harrys comments, and would recommend anyone interested in tristis (or birding generally) to see Arnouds article in Dutch Birding
Cheers
James

cant remember where i heard this but i thought Sib chiffchaff had all black feet, Yellow feet suggest Abientus. Always an intresting subject these birds.

Cheers for the comments. The first three photos are bird 1 and the last two are of bird 2. I will try and track down the paper in question, is it on the net anywhere?

Hi Ade,

I had brief views of a bird at Muckleburgh Hill, Norfolk on 26th Oct that looked very similar to the bird in shots 1-3, so would be interested to hear what conclusions you come to.

Thanks and best wishes

Dave

Hi Ade (and Harry)

The chiffchaff situation is even more complex than is often suggested. There's a good overview article here (I don't know how it compares to the Dutch Birding article):

http://www.btinternet.com/~deanar/tristis/tristis.htm

I recall a talk given by Greg Conway recently, who's doing a PhD on over-wintering chiffchaffs in the UK. He suggested occasional individuals have little or no yellow or olive and in this respect match tristis, but also lack the distinctive grey-brown or drab-brown hue to the upperparts of ‘classic’ tristis and have little or no warm buff/rusty buff in the underparts, supercilium and cheeks. If memory serves me correctly (which I'm not sure it does), these were also genetically matched to tristis. Also, a much higher proportion than was expected were actually tristis as opposed to abietinus.

In short, bird 2 looks good for tristis, but the others may also be (but as Harry says, best clinched on call).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back