• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings (1 Viewer)

CrimsonTopaz

Aves, The Stars, And Beyond...
Hi,

I wondered if anyone had seen any Waxwings in the UK yet?
Im not to sure about thier migration patterns, so i would appreciate any infomation on it.

I'll never forget the first time i saw them(which was earlier this year in Winter), i was on my way to the Post Office and there was a group eating berries in a nearby tree. I stood there nearly breathless, no photo can prepare you for how attractive and beautiful they are!

Thank you all in advance,

Sam:t:

I think there was one reported in Aberdeen a few weeks ago, but none since. If there are as many rowan berries in Scandinavia as there are in Scotland this year I don't think they will be in a hurry to come across.

They are the most enigmatic birds to grace our shores and they can be extremely photogenic.

Sightings so far -

Single on Shetland 11th Oct, N.Yorks 18th Oct, Aberdeen 19th Oct, Lothian (4) 19th Oct, Highland 20th Oct, Western Isles 26th Oct and Orkney 31st Oct.

c25 in cleveland on 6th Nov.
One in Norfolk on 11th Nov.
Two in S.Yorks today.

I'm sure there are more sightings than this tho. Still early in the winter for them anyway. If we get an influx it will probably start in December. Your area should get the first arrivals so good luck and keep your eyes on any likely feeding trees.

CB

Thanks everyone for your responses, im keeping an keen eye out here in the next few weeks and will let you all know.
Im just hoping that the rowan crop on Scandinavia is poor;)
Thanks folks:t::t::t:

Very small numbers moving as yet over here in the Baltics, I would predict no major arrival into the UK this year (big UK infuxes usually preceded by major movements here) ...but still early.

The rowan trees here in Sweden are absolutely laden with berries, I've rarely seen so many... no Waxwings where I live yet though. I miss them! Hope they come soon.

Thanks Jos, Enji:t:

Jos--i have a feeling you could be right. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but the awful weather we have been having recently, will that effect a possible influx? or maybe the berry growth?

Enji, i sure hope they return to you soon, they are such gorgeous birds and thoses berrys must be tempting :t:

... the awful weather we have been having recently, will that effect a possible influx? or maybe the berry growth?

In all likelyhood, the weather or berry crop in the UK is going to be of little importance - the more important is the berry crop in Scandanavia and northern Europe, along with the success of the breeding season and thus number of birds.

And picture below, a familiar sillouette back - yesterday bird.

Attachments

• Waxwing Sil voke.jpg
    Waxwing Sil voke.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 61
i remember finding my first waxwings on 31/01/09,found a superb flock of 20,they shown brilliantly,down to a couple of metres,but that day i forgot to pick up my camera,typicle,and the funny thing was i was going to twich a flock of 170 and found these on the way there,

I made up a whole load of colour rings for Waxwings a few weeks ago and expected them to be here in Aberdeen by 1st week of November. Talk about tempting fate ! I am now putting away all my colour rings as I don't think I will need them..................until December now anyway, possibly the New Year.

Jos, you lucky thing, ive gone green;) Thanks for clearing up my berry confusion, i still have a lot to learn about these beautys:t:

midlands birder, that sounds like something id do;) bombycilla--keep your rings out, you never know!

Good luck with your sightings everyone:smoke:

Hi,

I wondered if anyone had seen any Waxwings in the UK yet?
Im not to sure about thier migration patterns, so i would appreciate any infomation on it.

I'll never forget the first time i saw them(which was earlier this year in Winter), i was on my way to the Post Office and there was a group eating berries in a nearby tree. I stood there nearly breathless, no photo can prepare you for how attractive and beautiful they are!

Thank you all in advance,

Sam:t:

Hiya!

Didn't somebody post a link to his/her film of Waxwings set to music on this forum last year? It was truly beautiful!
If anybody knows how to find the link I am sure that we would love to see it again! And again!
All the very best,
Reg

Last edited:
We have several dogwood trees and 5 crabapple trees, which they love, and I recall the first time I saw them about 15 years ago! A flock of them came in with a flock of robins and I was stunned at how beautiful they were. Then in 2008 a flock of them graced us with a visit to our courtyard fountain. I hoped they would come to the fountain again this year, but instead I caught a flock of them while riding thru the woods on our 'jacked up' golf cart!! :) Stunning birds!! I don't know migration patterns where you're located, but I hope you see them soon!

Attachments

• Various 5420 (Medium) (2).jpg
    Various 5420 (Medium) (2).jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Cedar Waxwing at fountain_fall 2008.jpg
    Cedar Waxwing at fountain_fall 2008.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 101
ceejay

I am in Sheffield. I saw a little flock of birds that I was unable to ID this afternoon, flying north...maybe, just maybe...

I haven't seen any for years, maybe 11-12 yrs, and that was the only I time I saw them, in a big sycamore a couple of gardens away. We got the binoculars on them and they were just gorgeous.

Would love to see some again.

Great piccies, JMomOhio, I didn't know you got them over the pond!

I didn't know you got them over the pond either!!! :):t:

The birds in America are a different species, Cedar Waxwing. Although oddly enough there was a Cedar Waxwing in Ireland this autumn. On Inishbofin island Co. Galway. I dipped it too. ;) Very rare vagrant though.
Regards
Tom

My mistake. Apparently our Waxwings (Bohemian) also occur in North America. You learn something new every day. Your birds do look like Cedars though JMomOhio. Appear to have pale rather than red undertail coverts

Last edited:
Hi there,

No Waxwings yet in Copenhagen (last year we had flocks roaming the city centre). As others have said, there seems to be a bumper berry crop in Scandinavia this year which, coupled with the relatively warm weather so far, has meant that these birds have not moved south in any great numbers. We are still missing good numbers of several traditional winter birds (eg Smew, Redwing, Fieldfare etc)

Will let you know if I see any movements..

Best wishes,

Terry

ceejay

I am in Sheffield. I saw a little flock of birds that I was unable to ID this afternoon, flying north...maybe, just maybe...

I haven't seen any for years, maybe 11-12 yrs, and that was the only I time I saw them, in a big sycamore a couple of gardens away. We got the binoculars on them and they were just gorgeous.

Would love to see some again.

Great piccies, JMomOhio, I didn't know you got them over the pond!

One of the newsstand bird mags had an article on Sheffy's waxwings - may be worth a glance!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back