• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

There have been odd records this week, and with a bit of a NW up north and decent winds tomorrow I'd say that there's a chance both tomorrow and Saturday - although its a shame the winds don't look set to stay as a prolonged blow increases the chances.

Tides are not great if you have to work Friday. High tide is 11:52 for North Wirral on Saturday... see you there :D

dan pointon said:
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp

Conditions look like they could produce the odd bird on Saturday morning, 30mph W overnight, and the winds been south for a while so probably hindering the petrels progress south... Does anyone who's more experienced with the best conditions know if these are likely to bring any birds in to the bay?

Cheers

Jane Turner is the member that knows all about Leache's movements as she has them outside her house and knows what the right conditions are for these movements.

John

20 or so off North Wirral today, but the wind is getting to the point where it has too much North in it for Wirral. The Orme and Point Lynas looking best for tomorrow.

shipping forecast said:
Northerly 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in Irish Sea, decreasing 3 or 4 in north Fitzroy, Sole and Fastnet later. Rough or very rough. Squally showers. Good.

Wind: West or northwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 at first in Liverpool bay.

Ceartainly felt like 9 this morning. There isn't much activity at sea just yet, but the wind is more than enough to feed birds into the Irish sea. I'm thinking by tonight or tomorrow morning there should be some petrels on offer. The long term forecast looks good too. Could be a bumper year .

Just Terns, Gannets and a few Kittiwakes moving now - I had 17 Common Terns heading over Upton this morning!.

Wind: West or northwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 at first in Liverpool bay.

Ceartainly felt like 9 this morning. There isn't much activity at sea just yet, but the wind is more than enough to feed birds into the Irish sea. I'm thinking by tonight or tomorrow morning there should be some petrels on offer.....

Thanks for that Jane. When you say they might be on offer tonight, it will obviously be low tide at about 6pm. Are there chances of seeing them at low tide? If so, where would you recommend? I'll be on Wirral later, so I might call in somewhere.

The long term forecast looks good too. Could be a bumper year .

Just Terns, Gannets and a few Kittiwakes moving now - I had 17 Common Terns heading over Upton this morning!.

I'll almost certainly be heading out to Hilbre on Saturday for the tide (no real surprise I suppose!). I've got high hopes for the weekend.

At low tide you'll need to be closer to New Brighton. Still nothing out there except terns and Gannets. Sat on Hilbre should be good. It usually takes three days of wind to get them into Liverpool bay - but I am expecting a few tonight from home.

There's been a Balearic Shearwater on Hilbre - still a rare bird in Cheshire!

Last edited:
At low tide you'll need to be closer to New Brighton. Still nothing out there except terns and Gannets. Sat on Hilbre should be good. It usually takes three days of wind to get them into Liverpool bay - but I am expecting a few tonight from home.

There's been a Balearic Shearwater on Hilbre - still a rare bird in Cheshire![/QUOTE]

Still not seen one either!
2 Bonxies just gone though as well.

Looks good for Saturday. I am off out on Friday night so wondered do the Leaches normally linger all day? I remember seeing a lot in '95 from Seaforth and can't remember day time being an issue.

Looks good for Saturday. I am off out on Friday night so wondered do the Leaches normally linger all day? I remember seeing a lot in '95 from Seaforth and can't remember day time being an issue.

I don't think that time of day is an issue, though Jane will know a lot better than me. I've seen them all times of day, including evening.

High tide at Liverpool is 12:39 on Saturday, so about 12:25 on the north Wirral coast. If you wanted to be on Hilbre for the tide, you need to start walking from West Kirby at 9:30am latest. I'll be on the island anytime after 8am.

There is still nothing obvious out there that wouldn't have been there in calm weather, though a promising sign was that two of my 4 Arctic Skuas were having trouble and sitting on the beach, I've been checking for 5-10 mins every hour or so. Not seen a Tubenose of any descritpion yet.

Earlt morning can be very good at New Brighton as bird that went upriver at dark come out - otherwise the only effect is where the water is in.

Wind West or northwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8.

I didn't manage to get to New Brighton yesterday. I might get chance tonight though. I see that there was a Balearic Shearwater off New Brighton at 8:15 this morning, (which is about four hours before high tide, so closer to low tide).

The winds look like they might be easing a bit for tomorrow, so if any Leach's Petrels do get seen this evening, perhaps an early morning visit would be best tomorrow to catch the birds as they leave the river.

I've only had a knackered Manxie today so far, but at least its a tubenose!

Sole Lundy Fastnet Irish Sea Shannon Rockall Malin west or northwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 in Irish Sea. Moderate or rough, occasionally very rough except in Irish Sea. Squally showers. Good.

and the wind is pretty constant

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/crosby_latest_weather_graphs.html

I think that should be enough to bring stuff into Liverpool Bay today. Its early for big numbers of Leach's and a little late for Stormies... but a good chance of seeing them side by side. Off to look for Balearics once I've cleaned my windows!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back