• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
Still not seeing anything like enough wind Dan looking for a sustained greater than 30 knot Westerly or North Westerly... I'd go to Cornwall if I wanted to see seabirds!

Cornwall it is, at least it looks good for this weekend. I've got a day off next week, mon or tue, so fingers crossed for then.

Nick

I reckon its getting windy enough out there now to bring in any Leach's already in the Irish Sea (which of course might not be that many).

I'm off for a few days alas so I can't bring you live updates

Hi all, I'm thinking of coming up to New Brighton, tomorrow to look for some Leach's, what is the weather forecast for tomorrow?
I look forward to your replies,
Dave Gray.

I saw one trying to leave the mouth of the Mersey at Crosby this afternoon (at low tide). I'll be back at Crosby tomorrow morning. Looks a good forecast to me.

Colin

Is anywhere on the Irish Sea coast looking good for Leach's on Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning?

Any opinions much appreciated.

James

dwayne950 said:
New Brighton and Crosby that sort of area's looking good at the moment.

Dan

The mouth of the Mersey opposite the big warehouse looked good at 10-30 this morning. Sure enough, there was one there. Wow

James Blake said:
Is anywhere on the Irish Sea coast looking good for Leach's on Saturday afternoon/Sunday morning?

Any opinions much appreciated.

James

Looking at the forecast, I would say that Saturday afternoon would be the best bet over the weekend, and that more northerly sites would be best, i.e. Heysham, Blackpool etc.

However, I've only ever looked for Leach's Petrel on the Merseyside coast, (i.e. Hilbre, Leasowe, New Brighton, Hoylake, Formby, Crosby or Seaforth etc.) so I can't offer any advice on the more northerly locations. Personally, I'm off to take my chances at Crosby tomorrow, because it's only a 30 minute drive for me, and I saw one there today.

I don't think that the forecast could be described as good for Leach's, I would rate it as moderate. You may be lucky, but equally you may not. However, since we've hardly had a breath of wind this September, and since the Leach's season in nearly over, it's got to be worth a try if you can make it.

Good luck

Colin

I'm off to try either Saturday or Sunday morning in the hope there'll be a few lingering, as Colin says, the winds are as good as they're goin to get at Leach's time this year.

Dan

ColinD said:
Looking at the forecast, I would say that Saturday afternoon would be the best bet over the weekend, and that more northerly sites would be best, i.e. Heysham, Blackpool etc.

However, I've only ever looked for Leach's Petrel on the Merseyside coast, (i.e. Hilbre, Leasowe, New Brighton, Hoylake, Formby, Crosby or Seaforth etc.) so I can't offer any advice on the more northerly locations. Personally, I'm off to take my chances at Crosby tomorrow, because it's only a 30 minute drive for me, and I saw one there today.

I don't think that the forecast could be described as good for Leach's, I would rate it as moderate. You may be lucky, but equally you may not. However, since we've hardly had a breath of wind this September, and since the Leach's season in nearly over, it's got to be worth a try if you can make it.

Good luck

Colin

Thanks for the comprehensive answer Colin. Conditions probably not favourable enough to tempt me up from Cambridge!
James

Having just watched the BBC weather forecast I'd say that Saturday looks reasonable and Sunday odds on for Leach's off Wirral, Lancashire and North Wales coasts.

Good luck.

Rob Smallwood said:
Having just watched the BBC weather forecast I'd say that Saturday looks reasonable and Sunday odds on for Leach's off Wirral, Lancashire and North Wales coasts.

I wouldn't like to say that any day is odds on for Leach's Petrel. Some years they don't come (or hardly come), even when the weather looks ideal. Also, for good numbers you really need a few days of wind.

Sitting here in Merseyside as I type, no more than 10 miles from the mouth of the Mersey as the crow flies, there is not a breath of wind. The trees outside are completely still. I had a walk around Eccleston Mere first thing, and it was exactly the same story. Drizzly and still. Eccleston Mere was like a mirror. It will be breezier on the coast, but I suspect breeze is the word rather than gale.

They were seen yesterday, they may be seen today, but I've decided not to go. That's easy for me to say of course, I saw one yesterday and usually see them annually in varying numbers, but if I lived 100 miles away I'd have to think carefully about whether or not it was worth it at 93p a litre.

Anyway, good luck if anybody does go

Colin

Colin,

I agree that you can't predict Leach's - but with two days of strong North-westerlies forecast there will be some in the Irish Sea, and some of them should be seen.

That's the beauty of sea-watching - you never know what might be out there!

I'll bet a pound to your favourite charity that there will be at least one reported on Sunday off either Heysham, Blackpool, New Brighton or "Gunsite" to Hilbre!

Rob Smallwood said:
I'll bet a pound to your favourite charity that there will be at least one reported on Sunday off either Heysham, Blackpool, New Brighton or "Gunsite" to Hilbre!

Nope, don't think I'll take you up on that because you're almost certainly correct. However, Heysham to Hilbre is a large percentage of the coastline of England and one Leach's Petrel is little more than a large hirundine a mile out to sea!

Colin

I'm hoping for better than that!

I'm at a big wedding on Saturday and am planning to blow the cobwebs away with a stint of petrel watching on Sunday morning.

If the forecast stays at it is I plan to do Dove Point or Leasowe on the rising tide then New Brighton as it starts to fall.

Knowing my luck the winds will change!

I'm giving it a try tomorrow morning, hopefully the winds over night will have left a few Leach's lingering in the mouth of the Mersey. I'll post what i see to help anyone thinking of coming on Sunday.

Dan

dwayne950 said:
I'm giving it a try tomorrow morning, hopefully the winds over night will have left a few Leach's lingering in the mouth of the Mersey. I'll post what i see to help anyone thinking of coming on Sunday.

Dan

Good luck if you go for them Dan.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back