• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with binoculars (1 Viewer)

Peter Fox

I see that there are a few devices on the market for attaching an Iphone to one of the eyepieces on a binocular. Has anyone any experience in using these and whether acceptable images can be achieved.

Peter,

I have the Carson Hookupz adapter and initially tried it on a few binoculars before using it on my scopes. Inexpensive and easy to use. I don't have any pics handy but will see what I can do over the next few days.

Peter,

My apologies. It wasn't my intention to show my Youtube channel in reply to your post. It is actually part of my signature line that appears after every post I make.

However, to answer your question, I think you could easily achieve that quality in binoculars. The issue will be in the comparisons of magnification. Those videos are shot at 18x. Most binoculars are 7-10x so you would need to be a good deal closer to the subject in order to get that type of detail...assuming we are talking video and not still shots. The latter could easily be obtained through, depending on the resolution of your camera, by cropping and "blowing up" the image afterwards.

Last edited:
I've seen some good pictures from binos. One thing that helps with the aforementioned blowing up
is the extra brightness from the binoculars. If post-processing, you shrink slightly, sharpen once,
and then re-inflate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back