• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30E11 (1 Viewer)

However, due to racking up thousands of dollars in vet bills (which are still ongoing) at a time when my income shrank due to austerity measures by a new publisher, some "luxuries" had to go.

Brock,

I literally feel your pain. We just had to have our cat (my very best pal) euthanized yesterday after 5 months and thousands of dollars spent in a losing effort against congestive heart failure. I could hardly feel any worse if he had been a close human friend. Had we been presented with the total bill at the beginning we would never have gone down that path, but it came gradually in the form of a dozen interventions, each one until recently bringing with it some hope of stabilizing the situation.

Henry

Last edited:
............realized the truth that porro's are dead.................

If the porro is dead, then it is going to take a hundred years to bury 'em.

Long live the porro and the E II!

Ps. Brock ---- if your 10×35 EII needs a new home ..... let me know ;)

Too late. It already has a new home in Arizona with Bruce H. ...........

Brock

Sorry CJ and thanks Brock. Yes, that wide FOV of the 10X would give a great view of a bounding 'roo. :t:

Hello Bencw,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the EII Nikon. I have been advised that the 10x35 EII is an even better binocular, but I would not know from any personal experience.
Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

That is the opposite of what I would have expected. Both the 8X and 10X are excellent, but it appears to me that the 8X does a better job in showcasing the attributes of this porro. Specifically the wide field of view (462 ft vs 368 ft) and the greater depth of field realistically displayed by a porro. This is just a function of the differences in magnification, not the optical qualities. The wide FOV and the realistic depth of field are just more obvious to me with the 8X.

Authur, do you recall any of the specifics that were told to you by the person advising that the 10X is better?

Edit - Henry, I am sorry to read about the loss of your pet. They do become members of the family and it is difficult to lose them.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your cat, Henry. I went through a similar scenario with my first two cats at the end of their lives. Fortunately, they were otherwise healthy until the last few months, and they both lived long lives - 18, almost 19 for the male, 16 for the female.

Now I've got four cats, the youngest is 9, and they have/have had a number of health problems including a near fatal reaction to a new long-acting antibiotic called Convenia. My total vet bill for the past year was close to $3,000. In part, it's due to a vet who represents the worst of "fee-for-service." The local clinic is part of a larger corporation, so they need to keep their shareholders happy by doing unnecessary tests. I've since switched vets and found one who is a much smarter diagnostician (appropriately, her name is Dr. Smart), and she's a lot cheaper in her fees/prices ($15 vs. $50 for the same antibiotic).

I'm not anti-roof. I really liked the 8x30 M7, the 8x32 EL WB, and the 10x42 SLC-HD. But out of those, only the M7 delivers the kind of "bang for the buck" that Porros do. In my experience, you usually have to pay much more to get a similar level of image quality/wide FOV in roofs than you do in Porros.

Even the cheap 9.3* FOV 7x35 Aculon ($75) beats the more expensive Nikon roofs I've tried (M3, M5 and Prostaff 7) in terms of centerfield clarity/sharpness. I'm hoping that someday buyers will realize this and increased demand will cause companies to revive the premium Porro, but I'm not holding my breath (except after the cats take a dump in the litter box). :cat:

Brock

Last edited:
Hello Bencw,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the EII Nikon. I have been advised that the 10x35 EII is an even better binocular, but I would not know from any personal experience.

In my experience, the Nikon 8x30 EII was the high water mark for Porro glasses, even if it was a little shy of eye relief. If I were not so clumsy, I would have kept mine. Is there an 8x32 roof binocular which exceeds the basic optical qualities, excepting close focus, of this Nikon?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Arthur,

I have both of them and have used both extensively over the last 14 years and they look it.

I wouldn't say that the 10x35 EII was any better than the 8x30 EII except for the types of usage based on personal preference.

The 8x30 is better for overall daily use but on my trips to Hawk Mountain and Cape May I took my 10x35 and brought the 8x30 along as a back up or for my wife to use. It's pretty hard to miss a bird with that big FOV after it has been pointed out to you!:king:

Never the less both would have been satisfactory for me for either type of use if I was limited to just one of them.

Bob

Sorry to hear about your cat, Henry. I went through a similar scenario with my first two cats at the end of their lives. Fortunately, they were otherwise healthy until the last few months, and they both lived long lives - 18, almost 19 for the male, 16 for the female.

Now I've got four cats, the youngest is 9, and they have/have had a number of health problems including a near fatal reaction to a new long-acting antibiotic called Convenia. My total vet bill for the past year was close to $3,000. In part, it's due to a vet who represents the worst of "fee-for-service." The local clinic is part of a larger corporation, so they need to keep their shareholders happy by doing unnecessary tests. I've since switched vets and found one who is a much smarter diagnostician (appropriately, her name is Dr. Smart), and she's a lot cheaper in her fees/prices ($15 vs. $50 for the same antibiotic).

I'm not anti-roof. I really liked the 8x30 M7, the 8x32 EL WB, and the 10x42 SLC-HD. But out of those, only the M7 delivers the kind of "bang for the buck" that Porros do. In my experience, you usually have to pay much more to get a similar level of image quality/wide FOV in roofs than you do in Porros.

Even the cheap 9.3* FOV 7x35 Aculon ($75) beats the more expensive Nikon roofs I've tried (M3, M5 and Prostaff 7) in terms of centerfield clarity/sharpness. I'm hoping that someday buyers will realize this and increased demand will cause companies to revive the premium Porro, but I'm not holding my breath (except after the cats take a dump in the litter box). :cat:

Brock
"Even the cheap 9.3* FOV 7x35 Aculon ($75) beats the more expensive Nikon roofs I've tried (M3, M5 and Prostaff 7) in terms of centerfield clarity/sharpness. I'm hoping that someday buyers will realize this and increased demand will cause companies to revive the premium Porro, but I'm not holding my breath (except after the cats take a dump in the litter box). "

I guess the meditation did no good.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
"The porro is dead, then it is going to take a hundred years to bury 'em.

Long live the porro and the E II!"

OH REST IN PIECE OH MIGHTY NIKON EII. YOU HAVE SERVED THE BIRDERS ON A BUDGET WELL BUT YOUR TECHNOLOGY IS FADING AND NEWCOMERS CALLED SV AND SF ARE CLEARLY SUPERIOR SO IT HAS COME TIME FOR YOU TO PASS INTO BINOCULAR HEAVEN. WE WILL DEARLY MISS YOU BUT YOUR FATE HAS BEEN DECIDED BY TECHNOLOGY AND THE CONSUMER HAS SPOKEN. ROOFS ARE THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE. REST IN PIECE.

There they are buried.

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 541
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
.....Now I've got four cats, the youngest is 9, and they have/have had a number of health problems including a near fatal reaction to a new long-acting antibiotic called Convenia. My total vet bill for the past year was close to $3,000......

Well Brock, that right there is your brand new SF ..... no need for any EII fire sale . :smoke: you could have had your cake and eaten it too ! :eat:

I've heard of weird cat lady's before, but cat men?! :cat:

At least should you ever unexpectedly kark it at home, your pride of cats will be well fed for several weeks before they are forced to turn on each other ! :eek!: :gn: , and it will make an interesting story on the local news ...... :news:

Just think, instead of reading about feline ailments and vet bills, we could be reading your extensive :scribe: report of your new SF ...... for 3G I'd be letting them play 'tag' with "GOLIATH" ...... that way you'd save on those expensive chicken wings too ! o:)

Chosun :gh:

Sorry to read about your cat Brock, I went through the same 2 years ago with my old golden retriever Kate, she racked up £4k in vet bills in a month before the inevitable.

Good Porro's never die, just like with cars, when you want to find driving purity you don't buy the latest techno modern front drive overweight motor, you buy a Caterham, therein lies the path to driving Nirvana.

:cat:
"The porro is dead, then it is going to take a hundred years to bury 'em.

Long live the porro and the E II!"

OH REST IN PIECE OH MIGHTY NIKON EII. YOU HAVE SERVED THE BIRDERS ON A BUDGET WELL BUT YOUR TECHNOLOGY IS FADING AND NEWCOMERS CALLED SV AND SF ARE CLEARLY SUPERIOR SO IT HAS COME TIME FOR YOU TO PASS INTO BINOCULAR HEAVEN. WE WILL DEARLY MISS YOU BUT YOUR FATE HAS BEEN DECIDED BY TECHNOLOGY AND THE CONSUMER HAS SPOKEN. ROOFS ARE THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE. REST IN PIECE.

There they are buried.

My EII isn't dead yet, and it still has a long life to go. SE or SF are good glasses, but with their price tags - nope, then rather invest into cats :cat:

Cheers,
Holger

Holger, I've had my SE next to both SF & SV all three side by side this week, outdoors in dull Winter light looking at Birds on feeders 30m distance.

As my view is as valid or useless as most on here I can tell you not a single detail was lost to the SE, I don't know if anyone else on here has been able to try these three alongside, but it was quite a revelation to see just how good a late 550*** SE really is.

There's a load of life in good Porro's yet.

Holger, I've had my SE next to both SF & SV all three side by side this week, outdoors in dull Winter light looking at Birds on feeders 30m distance.

As my view is as valid or useless as most on here I can tell you not a single detail was lost to the SE, I don't know if anyone else on here has been able to try these three alongside, but it was quite a revelation to see just how good a late 550*** SE really is.

Let's have a review of the three. Everybody is waiting. The three best binoculars in the world. Even coming from a porro-maniac it would be interesting.

Last edited:

There they are buried.

|=)|

As Mark "Porro" Twain said after his obituary had been mistakenly published by Dennis in the Bird Forum:

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated

Let's have a review of the three. Everybody is waiting. The three best binoculars in the world. Even coming from a porro-maniac it would be interesting.

I "ain't" biting. I've seen this movie before at the Bird Forum theater and think I know what the ending will be from this particular director/producer.

|8.|

The earlier 8X32 SE's are just as good as the newer models. The term, "feather detail" was once commonly used to measure (however crudely) the quality of a binocular. I've looked at every alpha in production except the SF and my SE's show as much or more feather detail than any 8X binocular. Sometimes it's down right scary what that little bin can deliver to the human eye. |8.|

Brock,

I literally feel your pain. We just had to have our cat (my very best pal) euthanized yesterday after 5 months and thousands of dollars spent in a losing effort against congestive heart failure. I could hardly feel any worse if he had been a close human friend. Had we been presented with the total bill at the beginning we would never have gone down that path, but it came gradually in the form of a dozen interventions, each one until recently bringing with it some hope of stabilizing the situation.

Henry

Henry

So sorry to hear about your loss.
Best wishes indeed.

Lee

Henry, like Lee I'm sorry to hear about your cat, many people believe you can just replace a beloved pet with a new one, how little they know.

Dennis I'm not interested in trying to bore people with my point of view, anyway I like the updated Leica.

There is no need for a competition. The SF and the SV are excellent binoculars. Only thing is that their performance has to be related to their price, unless you have unlimited financial resources to fund your investments.

You mentioned that the market has decided. That is a good point: I have bought my Nikon 8x30 EII more than 10 years ago. That time I believed that they offered a good performance for their money, and I was planning to use them temporarily until I would find the right high end glass for me. Since then, I have tried all of them, and though they were somewhat better here and there, I haven't yet felt the need to replace the EII. So I still keep on using them.

Perhaps this is one key point: People as me, who buy in this price class, are often satisfied with what they got. Then, there are others who always want the "best" (or, sometimes, just the newest and most expensive gadget there is on the market), who continuously change from Leica Trino to Zeiss FL to Swaro SV and now to Zeiss SF.

The manufacturers cannot make the big money with customers who are too satisfied with their products and who are using them over many years. The real money is made with those who remain restless and jump onto every bandwagon that passes by. So there exists little drive to produce good, but moderately priced Porros, which would anyway remain unattractive to the high end buyers (regardless of performance), but which find their satisfied group of customers who stay with them. To the manufacturer, it is more beneficial to continue making items with minor improvements that nonetheless keep the prices growing up, which generate thousands of entries on the discussion boards even prior to their introduction :)

Cheers,
Holger

Well Brock, that right there is your brand new SF ..... no need for any EII fire sale . :smoke: you could have had your cake and eaten it too ! :eat:

I've heard of weird cat lady's before, but cat men?! :cat:

At least should you ever unexpectedly kark it at home, your pride of cats will be well fed for several weeks before they are forced to turn on each other ! :eek!: :gn: , and it will make an interesting story on the local news ...... :news:

Just think, instead of reading about feline ailments and vet bills, we could be reading your extensive :scribe: report of your new SF ...... for 3G I'd be letting them play 'tag' with "GOLIATH" ...... that way you'd save on those expensive chicken wings too ! o:)

Chosun :gh:

Maybe the dingo ate your baby.

Henry, like Lee I'm sorry to hear about your cat, many people believe you can just replace a beloved pet with a new one, how little they know.

Dennis I'm not interested in trying to bore people with my point of view, anyway I like the updated Leica.
"I like the updated Leica."

You like a roof! What model? It must be good.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back