• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Maven C1 8x42 (1 Viewer)

To me, if you cannot get to a retail location to check them out first hand, find a vendor that will allow you to check them out and return them if you don't like them. There are many (Cabelas, CLand NY, Tract, etc) that will do that. Yes, you'll be out shipping cost, but it's a small price to pay to make sure they work for you.
That is a good idea. You know how binoculars are. You really have to try them yourself to know if they suit you. Tract has their trial program also which is a good idea and I think they even pay for the return shipping with an included shipping label.

Last edited:
To me, if you cannot get to a retail location to check them out first hand, find a vendor that will allow you to check them out and return them if you don't like them. There are many (Cabelas, CLand NY, Tract, etc) that will do that. Yes, you'll be out shipping cost, but it's a small price to pay to make sure they work for you.

Dead right JG.

Lee

Maven or Tract will be no further away from most customers in terms of shipping days than a large enough dealer with a dedicated return policy, like CameralandNY, Cabela's, SWFA, B&H, Optics Planet etc. The same small return shipping fee is small enough price to pay for a 15- 30 day hands on trial. Not much difference in buying direct from the Maven or Tract or one of the big dealers.

Steve .... Do you have any preference between the Maven C1 8X42 and the GPO 8X42 ED?

Normally I will find something about a binocular that makes it special or unique compared to others in the same class. For example, the GPO is exceptional in the wide field of view, a more natural color balance and what looks to be high end construction in this class. Are there any attributes about the C1 that seem special compared to others in this class? Value is one item that comes to mind after factoring in the current 15% off promotion along with the smaller and lighter weight and also the screw in eye cups.

The same small return shipping fee is small enough price to pay for a 15- 30 day hands on trial. Not much difference in buying direct from the Maven or Tract or one of the big dealers.

Right on Steve! The 30 day or so trial periods are really a great benefit. One can generally find the show stopper issues in the store examination but it really takes some time in the field to discover those small items that turn out to be big items. Even if a binocular can be checked out in a store, it is best to go with a vendor that has a trial period where the buyer has a reasonable time frame to get to learn about the binocular.

Thanks for putting together another informative review! :t:

Steve .... Do you have any preference between the Maven C1 8X42 and the GPO 8X42 ED?

Normally I will find something about a binocular that makes it special or unique compared to others in the same class. For example, the GPO is exceptional in the wide field of view, a more natural color balance and what looks to be high end construction in this class. Are there any attributes about the C1 that seem special compared to others in this class? Value is one item that comes to mind after factoring in the current 15% off promotion along with the smaller and lighter weight and also the screw in eye cups.

Right on Steve! The 30 day or so trial periods are really a great benefit. One can generally find the show stopper issues in the store examination but it really takes some time in the field to discover those small items that turn out to be big items. Even if a binocular can be checked out in a store, it is best to go with a vendor that has a trial period where the buyer has a reasonable time frame to get to learn about the binocular.

Thanks for putting together another informative review! :t:

Yes I do. I am writing the GPO ED review now will comment on that later.

However the C1 has a view in image quality to equal the likes of the Tract Toric.

Maven or Tract will be no further away from most customers in terms of shipping days than a large enough dealer with a dedicated return policy, like CameralandNY, Cabela's, SWFA, B&H, Optics Planet etc. The same small return shipping fee is small enough price to pay for a 15- 30 day hands on trial. Not much difference in buying direct from the Maven or Tract or one of the big dealers.

Yep, which is why I put Tract in there in the first place. I'm not familiar with how Maven does it.

Yes I do. I am writing the GPO ED review now will comment on that later.

However the C1 has a view in image quality to equal the likes of the Tract Toric.

Sounds good. I am looking forward to reading it!

My GPO ED 8X42 has good contrast but I think contrast shown in the Toric 10X42 that I have is a little bit better. That is expected considering the price difference. With the Maven C1 and the Toric having equivalent image qualities, then I suspect the contrast may be a little bit better in the C1 compared to the GPO ED and that would be one of those unique attributes that I look for. I shall wait for the review to find out. :t:

I wish Nikon would have had a by mail demo unit to try so I didn't have to purchase my EDG sight unseen AND I wish Leica would have had a by mail demo unit to try so I didn't have to purchase my UVHD+ sight unseen.

My B3 wasn't a whole butt-load of money so I didn't mind trying it sight unseen even though there was a by mail demo unit available.

Too bad this isn't a standard offered by all the binocular companies.

My .02,
CG

I put zero faith level in an Outdoor Life review. The reasons should be self evident. There is no way to assign an objective test ranking based on subjective evaluations.

Zero Steve-O?

Whilst I tend to agree, from being skeptical meself, they did at least drag out a motley gaggle, seemingly almost at random, of glass outside apparently alternately viewing them all under similar conditions.

At least, unlike moi, they do not compare one to another peering south through double pane glass door. 3:)

I found a review/comparison, from several years past, of over twenty bins online as I snooped about. A gent along w/young man from across the street evaluated from forty-three feet an electronics full page ad under various light.

He decided not to submit this review as, according to him, "I thought it might be too techincal {sic} for the average Texan". I enjoyed a chuckle

I guess I'll answer Bruce here instead of the GPO review. ;) Overall I like the GPO, but the Maven has a superior overall image presentation. Put a wider fov and less tension in the C1 focus and likely I’d do the Maven. Best image goes Maven, best ergonomics , focus (aside from some slack) and construction is GPO.

Another way to look at the two is the GPO due to wider fov is a likely better all around choice for a birding glass. For a car or truck glass, backyard feeders the C1 may well be better.

Last edited:
I wish Nikon would have had a by mail demo unit to try so I didn't have to purchase my EDG sight unseen AND I wish Leica would have had a by mail demo unit to try so I didn't have to purchase my UVHD+ sight unseen.

My B3 wasn't a whole butt-load of money so I didn't mind trying it sight unseen even though there was a by mail demo unit available.

Too bad this isn't a standard offered by all the binocular companies.

My .02,
CG

The way I look at this is for the cost of a return shipping label at most, you get a 15 day minimum free field trial. From either Maven, Tract or large dealer. You are not really buying the binocular until you decide to keep it. Might tie up some $$ for a few days, but to me the opportunity for a decent field test opportunity is worth some inconvenience. The companies and dealers who do this look at the practice as an integral component of their business model. That model for some may balk somewhat at sending out a very expensive glass.

Store evaluations are at best an indicator of whether or not a binocular is worth your further consideration.

Last edited:
Just placed an order for a pair of C1 10x42's. Should be here in a week or so. Will report back when I have run them through their paces. I sure hope they are as good as advertised.

I guess I'll answer Bruce here instead of the GPO review. ;) Overall I like the GPO, but the Maven has a superior overall image presentation. ............

Thanks Steve! You explanation about the two makes sense to me. That was about what I was expecting based on my experience with the GPO and your review of the C1.

While not the C1, I did just acquire the C2. Ordered on Monday and they were in my hands on Wednesday. Pretty good turnaround! I’m pretty dang impressed with what they can shove in a $200 bino. To me it looked as good and better as Zeiss Terra’s and even vortex vipers in the same size category. I got the 7x28..... they will be great truck binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back