• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (3 Viewers)

Hi Rich,

Yes the Finch flocks seemed to form in distinct groups today with the Siskins with the Goldfinches & the Polls tending to go solo. Still hoping that the flocks might attract the attentions of an interesting passing raptor as there was a large flock of Goldfinches favouring the meadow. Congrats on the Hawfinch & Crane, I've seen Hawfinches at Bookham in previous Winters, were they still behind the Railway Station?

Cheers,

John.

John,

best seen from Little Bookham Common Car Park. They seem to prefer the hawthorn bushes in front of where you view!

Between ten or fifteen waxwings in Jacobs Well nr. Guildford just now. Heard them calling from an oak tree, then they flew over towards Clay Lane and were joined by a few more. I went to get my bins but they'd gone five minutes later, not sure in which direction.

Tices this morning - 3 Snipe, 7 Lesser Redpoll, 4 Siskin, Reed Bunting, Kingfisher, 20+ Redwing, 10+ Fieldfare. Not much at Cutt Mill, 1 Grey Wag on the frozen pond.

John.

Early start at Tices this morning produced a decent selection of birds. First was Kingfisher by the bridge at Lower Farnham Road, then found the wintering Green Sandpiper along the River. Lots of Redwings around & a flock of at least 20 Lesser Redpoll & 4 Siskin with the Goldfinches. Reed Bunting heard in the reedbeds & 3 Skylark over, workings still frozen but 117 lapwing present on the ice who were spooked by 2 passing Sparrowhawks. Saving the best for last I managed to see the Water Rail at last in the stream near the entrance gate.

John.

Saving the best for last I managed to see the Water Rail at last in the stream near the entrance gate.

John.

Hi John,

It's the third winter for the Water Rail in the same place along the same stream. Today's record is a first for the early winter period, most sightings have been in March.

Kevin

I do Kev cos I found em:t: 13 in Holder Road nr the junction with North Lane just round the corner from my house B :)

Cheers,

John.

I do Kev cos I found em:t: 13 in Holder Road nr the junction with North Lane just round the corner from my house B :)

Cheers,

John.

John,

well done; you're making a habit of this! Might try and get out and see them tomorrow. I walked the BWV Path from North Camp to Farnborough in the vain hope of seeing some. Not much at all bar a couple of Siskin. Plenty of berry bushes though.

Rich

Last edited:
Cheers Rich, they weren't there when I looked again on the way back from Ivy Road. I'll check again in the morning. Also had 3 Snipe along the River no sign of the Water Rail though.

John.

A cold (-6) start at Tice's. Surprisingly there is still open water in the workings but no wildfowl. Highlights were 167 Lapwing, 1 Snipe, 11 Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 1 Herring Gull and 2 Black Headed Gulls. On the other side of the embankment 1 female Sparrowhawk chased by a mixed flock (60+) of Goldfinch and Lesser Redpoll which eventually landed in Silver Birch near the entrance. I had a good look at these birds and there were no Mealies. Plenty of winter Thrushes with both Fieldfare and Redwing much in evidence. 2 Bullfinches were my final sight as I got into the car to drive to Farnham (no Wawings but a welcome americano in Costas).

This was a wonderful visit to Tice's in almost virgin snow. There was much evidence of Roe Deer and Fox tracks around the meadow.

Rich

Last edited:
Slightly warmer today (0 degrees). The mixed finch flock continues to be seen with both Lesser Redpoll and Siskin along with Goldfinch and Bullfinch. A party of three Yellowhammers were at the entrance gate. Gulls are hanging on with the addition of one Common Gull and the Lapwings and one Snipe have now moved onto the meadow itself.

Rich

A whopping 44 Common Snipe at Tice's this morning along with a lone Golden Plover amongst the Lapwings. The mixed finch flock is still present although there was only 1 Yellowhammer today. Some stunning male Lesser Redpolls within the flock and the now daily Bullfinches were showing well.

Winter Thrushes were omni present with Redwings following the finches. Three Teals were finally back on the settling ponds

Rich

Last edited:
Only 14 Snipe this morning but with the addition of a single Jack Snipe on the meadow. 50+ Waxwings at nearby Eggars Hill and a further 50 at Lidls in Farnham.

Merry Christmas.

Rich

Popped down to Eggars Hill in Aldershot after work, at least 70 Waxwings very mobile between two gardens containing Rowans & the railway line.

Merry Xmas to all local birders,

John.

I saw the Eggars Hill birds today too. There were attempting to feed on the two white Rowans outside 23/24/25 Eggars Hill, but flushed everytime a car went by (which was often!). I attempted to get some shots, but they were never on the bush I was focusing on! In fact, once they came and landed on the bush I was under!

Pic one was taken by pointing the camera straight up, whilst 50 Waxwings fed around me!

You can just see the birds in the bush behind me in the second pic (but as you can see, I don't have the camera!).

Attachments

• waxwings.jpg
    waxwings.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 54
  • mwandwax.jpg
    mwandwax.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Popped down to Eggars Hill in Aldershot after work, at least 70 Waxwings very mobile between two gardens containing Rowans & the railway line.

Merry Xmas to all local birders,

John.

An amazing day for Waxwings. Went back again this afternoon to see a minimum of 70. Rich H has a dead female which sadly flew into a window of the house with the White Rohan.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back