• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

any alternatives? (1 Viewer)

fisi7chella

i am thinking of buying a swarovski ats 65mm with 30x eyepiece.it seems to be
well reviewed,but should i be looking at other options for the same money?
also what tripod would be best at the £140 category.thanks

Welcombe to Birdforum i use the ATS80 with 30x eyepiece and think this a far better eyepiece than the zoom,ive also used this on the 65mm and it work very well. you may also like to consider scopes from Zeiss,Leica and Nikon.All are of a similar quality.If you can spend a day at your local Bird reserve and see what other birdwatchers are using most will let you have a look through there scopes.Some dealers do field days at some reserves where you can compare the different scopes side by side.

thanks graham
here in northern ireland there is no field days on bird reserves and the opportunity to meet other birders are rare,any advice would have to be from this forum or web articles,
thanks again
adrian

Hello Adrian

Like Graham I have used the 65mm and 80mm versions of this scope and in my opinion the 65 represents a good combination of portability, optical quality and robust construction, but at a price. I would also agree with Graham's alternatives but if you are considering the HD version, there are larger scopes on offer by the other manufacturers at a similar or even lower price.
I have used the Leica APO 77 and would have no hesitation in recommending it and there is a big following of the Zeiss 85 in this forum, both of which when fitted with a 30/32mm eyepiece will cost roughly the same as the Swarovski 65 HD.
Don't get me wrong, I consider the combination of qualities offered by the Swarovski hard to beat but you know what they say about a good big un!
Regarding the tripod, I have used the Manfrotto 190 Nat with both scopes and it offers a stable platform with fairly smooth operation and in your price range.

Tony.

Last edited:
As far as I am aware, the Swarovski tripods are just re-badged Manfrotto models. Ace Optics are doing a decent deal on the Manfrotto 190 and 055 units. They are also offerering a deal on the scope you are considering together with a Manfrotto 290 tripod. My advice is though, don't consider this tripod for this scope.

Tony.

I use both the Manfrotto 055 and 290,the 055 is an excellent tripod if a bit heavey my 290 has a very poor leglock system which regularly slips and i wish i had got the 190 instead.

Anthony mentions a strong following for the 85mm Zeiss - and there is - but you'll probably find an even higher level of enthusiasm for it's "little brother" the 65 (God knows, I continue to be gobsmacked by mine every time I use it and the zoom EP).

If you can get onto one of the regular offers Warehouse Express have for on that scope (£599 for scope body + 23x), you won't regret it: you almost get the Zeiss and both fixed EPs, or the "offer" EP and the zoom EP, for the price of the Swaro 65 + 30x.

And if you mean the ATS rather than the ATS HD, you're not getting ED/fluorite glass - but you do with the Zeiss... and the HD Swaro is hugely more expensive.

Last edited:
blythkeith said:
Anthony mentions a strong following for the 85mm Zeiss - and there is - but you'll probably find an even higher level of enthusiasm for it's "little brother" the 65 (God knows, I continue to be gobsmacked by mine every time I use it and the zoom EP).

If you can get onto one of the regular offers Warehouse Express have for on that scope (£599 for scope body + 23x), you won't regret it: you almost get the Zeiss and both fixed EPs, or the "offer" EP and the zoom EP, for the price of the Swaro 65 + 30x.

And if you mean the ATS rather than the ATS HD, you're not getting ED/fluorite glass - but you do with the Zeiss... and the HD Swaro is hugely more expensive.
thanks for the info
cheers adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back