• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring in the Lower Waveney Valley Suffolk (2 Viewers)

cjay

At last, a fine Spring morning had arrived, so much so I was up at dawn getting prepared for a day out. As is typical of early spring the wind was blowing a strong west but as I was going to explore woodland I did not mind too much. My first stop was a little unknown reserve in the Waveney Valley. Its an alder carr with a nice wet meadow & I go there to tick of various species. A good example of the flora, that is not found commonly elsewhere is Chyrysosplenium oppsitifolium L. Opposite leaved Golden Saxifrage & Adoxa moschatellina L. Moschatel. The latter however was only just beginning to flower.

By the old Decoy a fine disc fungi Sarcoscypha coccinea (Fr) Lamb, Scarlet Elf Cup was seen growing in abundance on dead alder branches. It is uncommon around here. Next up was the sometimes elusive ground beetle Timarcha tenebricosa Bloody nosed Beetle. Three adults were found this morning so it looks like another good year for them.

My next visit was to the nearby Grazing marshes & river wall here I was amazed to see that the county wildlife trust had cut down all the willows along the bank such devastation is beyond me, how do they get away with it all the time?

Who are they accountable too?

After lunch I visited Carlton Marshes where I saw two Small Tortoiseshell butterflies.
The first of the year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back