• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

JTB

I've just done the the laminating, but it's looking increasingly likely that I won't get the starter motor swapped out until tomorrow, which means that I'll be a no show for the work party, sorry mate.

JTB

I've just done the the laminating, but it's looking increasingly likely that I won't get the starter motor swapped out until tomorrow, which means that I'll be a no show for the work party, sorry mate.

No worries mate, save yourself for next week. Thanks for doing the postersB :)John

Corn Bunting ?

This dropped into the flashes around 11.30 Monday. It only stayed a minute or so, and as I had my camera in my hand took 3 quick shots. Only revisited the shots last night.

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1677.jpg
    IMG_1677.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 146
This dropped into the flashes around 11.30 Monday. It only stayed a minute or so, and as I had my camera in my hand took 3 quick shots. Only revisited the shots last night.

Hi Mark,

It's pretty difficult to say what that is based on those photos - but I'm pretty sure it isn't a Corn Bunting. The bill appears all-greyish and the general proportions suggest it's more likely to be a juvenile / 1st Winter Yellowhammer. These can be completely devoid of any yellow tones and can cause confusion.

BTW, I had a male Yellowhammer over the flashes just after you left this afternoon.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

It's pretty difficult to say what that is based on those photos - but I'm pretty sure it isn't a Corn Bunting. The bill appears all-greyish and the general proportions suggest it's more likely to be a juvenile / 1st Winter Yellowhammer. These can be completely devoid of any yellow tones and can cause confusion.

BTW, I had a male Yellowhammer over the flashes just after you left this afternoon.

Actually I beg to differ Dave. I have seen larger photos of this bird and the bill is actually a dull straw colour. The size and shape of the bill is also consistant with that of Corn Bunting. The so called 'bulkiness' doesnt always show when the bird is upright...so that isnt always a guide.

I agree the photos arent great so it is difficult to call and yes juv Yellowhammers can have no Yellow at all...although as a rule the the coverts are considerably more rufous

Having spent most days watching Corn Buntings and Yellowhammers around Shenstone I personally feel that this is an adult Corn Bunting that is going through a post breeding moult....although without seeing the bird myself its hard to be 100% sure

Like you say, Jase, the photos make it hard to be 100% but, to me, it looks more Yellowhammer. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's opinions. Not an easy one by any means.

I saw this bird too if you remember Mark. Initially we had it down as a Meadow Pipit due to the yellowish colour and streaking shown on the breast. From the photos I can clearly see that the bill shape is that of a bunting. Putting my own observations and the evidence shown on the photos together my thoughts lean more towards Yellowhammer than Corn Bunting.

Black Terns

Some record shots of the ten Black Terns at the Moors today.

Also noted: Common Snipe 1 Curlew 11 Pochard 3 Kingfisher 1 Water Rail 1 Green Woodpecker 1 Jay 1

Rob

Attachments

• Web Black Terns 3.jpg
    Web Black Terns 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Web Black Terns 4.jpg
    Web Black Terns 4.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Web Black Terns 5.jpg
    Web Black Terns 5.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Web Terns Ten.jpg
    Web Terns Ten.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Web Terns Ten 2.jpg
    Web Terns Ten 2.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 86
work party today at the Flashes

A really wet s****y day today but the 12 of us certainly made in-rounds into creating new islands in areas that are normally inaccessible, when we have some water in the 2nd flash that is! A great effort, just a pity we all got soaked in the process.
The work today involved us moving the piled up soil, from along the channel onto the 2 new islands.
The main channel was extended into the 2nd flash up to the 'crescent' island. The water flowed all the way through. In the future this channel will silt up slowly and provide ideal wader feeding in late summer (in theory).
A shallow side channel was taken off the main channel, along the line of an old drainage ditch.
The new 1st Flash island, was consolidated.
A large new 2nd Flash island was sighted behind the 'pipe' island, from the spoil of the channel extension. Slabs were placed around the back of it to hold in the soil. It will be left to dry out and then flattened, more shoring up at the front will take place next week and a membrane put on top ready for the shingle.(or at least that is the plan).
4 pics
1. 3 of the lads at work Dave, Graham and Gav.
2. The main central island
3. Gav and graham's channel
4. the new 2nd Flash island
Don't forget we do it all again next week, a few of the sick noters:-O will be back, so we have a good chance of completing this once in a life time opportunity to really make a difference to the flashes habitat.
B :)John

Attachments

• 1.3 of the boys.jpg
    1.3 of the boys.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.central channelr.jpg
    2.central channelr.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 3.gavs-grahs channel.jpg
    3.gavs-grahs channel.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 4.new 2nd flash Island.jpg
    4.new 2nd flash Island.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 85
Birds at the Flashes today
Black Tern 10, Green Sand, snipe 2, Curlew 28, Lapwing c20, Shoveler 14 came over from the Moors and flew around briefly before returning to the Moors, Little Grebe. Teal no count. Peregrine, kestrel, buzzard, sparrowhawk.
BHG c150, LBBG c25, herring gull 5, Stock Dove 40+
Vis mig 25 - 30 meadow pipits, Swallow 40+, Goldcrest 2, Redpoll, grey wag 3, yellow wag, pied wags c10, greenfinch,
Little egret flew east from the moors
B :)John
I think I got most of it Dave .

Monday 26th Sept

Excellent work on the Flashes lads; just a shame the birding was a bit quiet:

FLASHES
10 Teal, 11 Moorhen, 31 Curlew, 1 Green Sand, Little Grebe on the Third Flash.

MOORS
34 Teal, 23 Shoveler, 21 Tufted D, 3 GC Grebe, 2 Little Grebe, 5 Mute Swan, 6 Cormorant, 135 Canada Geese, 2 Grey Heron, 200 Coot, 8 Moorhen, 72 Lapwing, 3 Snipe, 2+ Kingfisher, 4 Buzzard, several parties of 1/2 Siskin over, regular Meadow pipit and Skylark calling overhead, Raven, Reed Warbler in subsong on the North Moors. Little Egret until 8:30am before flying over the Sailing Pool (as per Alan Giles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back