• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ardnamurchan/loch Shiel Question (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
We are thinking of staying close to Loch Shiel at the Ardnamurchan end and would like some advice from those in the 'know'.......

1. Is it 'too far' out of the way for everything (travel/birds/scenery etc)
2. Mull looks reachable via Kilchoan ferry (for the day).....am I correct ?

3. Assuming we stay there what/where should we be looking to see/do as 'must do/must see' places etc.

Thanks

It's a perfect place to stay! The Sunart oakwoods, Loch Shiel, Loch Sunart, easy trips to Mull, I'm jealous already. I worked in that part of the world for 3 years, and you're staying in the very best bit of it.

Mike

We are thinking of staying close to Loch Shiel at the Ardnamurchan end and would like some advice from those in the 'know'.......

1. Is it 'too far' out of the way for everything (travel/birds/scenery etc)
2. Mull looks reachable via Kilchoan ferry (for the day).....am I correct ?

3. Assuming we stay there what/where should we be looking to see/do as 'must do/must see' places etc.

Thanks

I enclose a copy of my report on the 'Kennels' cottage website Kilchoan.
I've got to say the birdwatching was great but the weather was the worst.It rained every day till about 3 to 4 pm!We were very unlucky.
Here is the report.
Bird Report (Guests Comments)

Kilchoan Ardnamurchan Scotland 23/05/09 - 30/05/09
Spent a pleasant week in Kilchoan a very small, peaceful village at western end of the Ardnamurchan Peninsula in Scotland opposite Mull. Completely unspoilt area with wonderful views of the Inner Hebrides. Great birdwatching opportunities as evidenced by the number of birdwatchers seen. Most likely they had come for the Sea Eagles, Golden Eagles and Sea watching from Ardnamurchan Lighthouse the most westerly point of mainland Britain.
The Tourist Information at Kilchoan is a useful starting point. All interesting sightings are posted each day. Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles were reported most days within a 6 mile radius of Kilchoan.
A word of warning.The road to Kilchoan from the Corran ferry is narrow and winding. If you travel this far you would be better staying at Kilchoan. All best birdwatching is then within the 6 mile radius.We only traveled 50 miles all week from Kilchoan.

Accommodation
Stayed in the Kennels a comfortable, warm cottage with fantastic views to Mull and out to sea. Gannets, Shearwaters, Auks, Skuas, Hen Harrier etc. all seen from the front porch.

Kilchoan
A throwback to a forgotten era. A variety of habitats from surrounding hills, the Sound of Mull, Marshland, rough pasture, woodland and rocky beaches. Birds were in evidence throughout the area all week at any time of day. Almost 60 birds were seen within the environs of the village alone.

The Mingary pier
Look out for any fishing boats. Attracted a following of Great Skuas, Gannets, Greater Black Backed Gulls, Herring Gulls and Lesser Black Backed Gulls.
Manx Shearwaters most days.
Blackhead Gull, Common Gull, Shag[common], Cormorant, Red Breasted Merganser, Mallard, Eider, Red Throated Diver, Razorbill, Guillemot and Shelduck seen.

Pier Road
Our cottage overlooked the fields and a lot of the birds were seen from the front window.
Hen Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Merlin, Kestrel, Buzzard, Common Snipe[common], Rock Pippet[very common], Meadow Pippet, Wheatear, Twite, Linnet, Lapwing[common], Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap, Spotted Flycatcher, Robin, Song Thrush[very common], Blackbird, Wren, Wheatear, Starling, House Sparrow, Skylark, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Goldfinch[very common], Greylag Goose, Common Sandpiper, Cuckoo, Hooded Crow, Carrion Crow, Raven, Wren, Woodpigeon, Collared Dove, Feral Pigeon.

Main Road to ‘Camping Site Road’
A great area to see low flying Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins in great numbers.
Spotted Flycatcher, Bullfinch, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting, Dunlin, Oystercatcher, Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, Gray Wagtail, Shelduck, Mallard.

Camping Site Road
Well worth the trudge up the hill to the end of the road.
A Corncrake was heard on the Saturday we arrived [next to the camp site].
The Cuckoo was very visible and audible most days. Yellowhammers were seen and heard along the road. Also Spotted Flycatcher, Linnet, Willow Warbler, Reed Bunting, Goldfinch.

Just Outside Kilchoan
A Golden Eagle was seen above the hills to the North West of Kilchoan.
Stonechats common on the edges of the village.

Seawatching
The prime site was clearly the Lighthouse which has a brilliant viewing platform. Great, Arctic and Pomeranian Skuas were seen on the Tuesday. A passing place for 100’s if not 1000’s of Manx Shearwaters either flying past or resting on the water close in. All common Auks and Gannets can be seen here too.
Fascadale Point is good too. Lots of Kittiwakes, Manx Shearwaters, Auks and Gannets passing. Black Guillemot seen as well.

Other Birds
Curlew and Redpoll near Kilmory

We have now booked from 11th June (just waiting confirmation). For a variety of reasons we have chosen accomodation at a place called Acharacle which is close to Loch Shiel.
Again-thanks to all for the help & advice.
Pratincol-I'm sure it won't rain from June 11th:-O
Mike-your comment helped make the decision, thanks.

Any suggestions of places to go/see will be much appreciated:t:

My first advice is that you should relax - the West of Scotland is not designed for people in a hurry. Additionally, most Scottish specialities are seen by simply hanging around in the right place or places, so the timetable is not under your control.

Secondly almost all the landbirds that you are likely to see can be seen within fifty miles of Acharacle. If I were intent on maximising my list of local bird species I would probably try the following list of localities:

Sanna and Ardnamurchan Point
Cruise on Loch Sheil
Strontian woodlands
Ben Nevis or Aonach Mor summit
Walk up some other hill at the east end of Loch Shiel
The back road to Inverness south of Loch Ness

Note that what you actually do should be determined by the weather.
Also the species that you might most obviously miss with this list is red grouse. They are present in Ardnamurchan but someone else could probably advise you of a better place to find them.

You may also find the local mammals interesting. Red squirrel and otters can be found around Acharacle,and red deer are an ever present danger on the roads - which should significantly limit the speed at which you drive.

Thirdly, if the weather is reasonable, Mull on its own merits at least a weeks holiday. If you decide to go find a cheap B & B for one night at least (but yes, technically you can do ferry, round Mull and back in a day).

Last edited:
We stayed at Strontian (Sea View Grazings) last year. We have stayed at Acharacle in past years too. We'd been on Mull for the whole of the previous week but still went back onto Mull for a day to show our son and we used the Lochaline-Fishnish ferry. Our trip report will be in 'Vacations - Scotland" for last September/October. It's a beautiful area to stay in and I'm sure it won't be your last visit there.

Sandra

I've stayed in the area a couple of times and it's certainly one of my favourite places.
Although my visits were made in autumn, you may be interested in my latest trip report.
http://wildlifewanderer.co.uk/2009scotland.aspx
Have a great trip.

Thanks skink1978.........I enjoyed reading that report.
A couple of questions for you please.

1. I have a saloon car (Rover 74). Obviously I will have to excercise care but in general will I be OK with that ?

2. We are planning 1 or 2 days on Mull. One of those days will be a planned wild life tour. Is it worth taking the car or best to leave it at the ferry (the tour people collect from Tobermory)

Thanks skink1978.........I enjoyed reading that report.
A couple of questions for you please.

1. I have a saloon car (Rover 74). Obviously I will have to excercise care but in general will I be OK with that ?

2. We are planning 1 or 2 days on Mull. One of those days will be a planned wild life tour. Is it worth taking the car or best to leave it at the ferry (the tour people collect from Tobermory)

A saloon car will be absolutely fine on Ardnamurchan and Mull. All the main roads are paved and in great condition (or at least they were). A 4x4 may be useful in the depth of winter, but certainly not necessary for most of the time.

Only take a car to Mull if you want to explore the island yourself. If a wildlife tour can pick you up in Tobermory then I would definitely leave the car back on the mainland. If you’re spending a second day on Mull then a car would be useful, although to be honest I’ve never looked into public transport options.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions

Evening meals at the Salen Hotel are pretty good though pricey.

For a night drive back to Acharacle through very interesting habitat dine at the inn in Kilchoan (after you come back off Mull: its round the corner from the ferry terminal) and wait for full dark before starting.

The car park at Camas nan Geall is a good place to scan for Golden Eagles and I've seen White-tailed Sea Eagle from there as well.

Ardnamurchan and Mull are amazing - carry your bags...?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back