• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Helgoland, end of april (1 Viewer)

Egretta

Belgium
Hey all,

I was thinking of going to Helgoland for 2 or 3 days at the end of april (probably between the 20th and the 25th), but I was wondering if all the seabird species are present at that time because I know the best time to go is actually late may/early june (but I can't go then because of exams).
And what are some species I should almost definately see when I'm there? I don't live near the sea so every typical seabird will probably be a new one to me...

Thanks, Niels

Hello,

I have never been there and do not know this area.
Unfortunetely I have only information in german language from Christoph Moning, which is the most known author in Germany for birding books.

http://www.birdinggermany.de/helgoland.htm

There is written, from April bird migration becomes more importance like Mornell and different Pipit.
Between Mai and August migration activities getting down and teher will be fewer rarities. Than breeding birdlife get more important.
Eventhough there are only 30 different bird an the main islands and 24 in the dunes, sea bird colonies are important.

There are adresses from ornitological society of Helgoland
http://www.oag-helgoland.de/

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
hi Niels, I used to go to Helgoland on a fairly regular basis back in the early 90`s. By the end of April all the breeding seabirds should be present i.e Fulmar, Gannet, Kittiwake & Guillemot + perhaps a non-breeding Black Guillemot as they seem to hang around sometimes. It should also be great for migration at that time as well. good luck, Rob.

I'm usually there in autumn but late April seems to be a good choice as well. As Rob said, all seabirds are present and some good stuff might be migrating through. Migration is highly weather dependend and needs some luck, but something rare is always around.
Here is the relevant Opus article: Helgoland

Enjoy your stay
André

Thanks for the kind answers... Are there some vagrants who are recorded regularly/yearly on Helgoland? In other words, birds with a fairly big chance of seeing?

Thanks, Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back