• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjars in Yucatan (Mexico) (1 Viewer)

steenl

Registered Member
Hello,

Every evening dozen of nightjars were flying above the village of Celestun in Yucatan.
The light-conditions were very bad but I manage to get some photo's.
What kind of species of Nightjars did I photografe.
Personally I think Lesser Nighthawk. But maybe it is Pauraque or an other species.

Thanks for your help.

Lennaert Steen from the Netherlands

Attachments

• Nightjar.jpg
    Nightjar.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Nightjar 2.jpg
    Nightjar 2.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 126
Agreed. Only nighthawks would be flying around high like that. You can tell its a Lesser Nighthawk because the white patch is nearer to the tip of the wing than it is to the 'elbow' of the wing. A common nighthawk would have the white patch about half way between the two.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back