• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED 50 digiscoping with Sony Nex5n! (1 Viewer)

quest786

I recently got the Nikon ED 50 with 13-30x,40x DS and 16x DS eye piece.Also was able to get SLR attachment very cheap from ebay($85) and tried it today in overcast weather with Sony Nex5 (with Nikon adapter, iso 1600).I was expecting much worse but am surprised with results, will try again on a better/sunny day.I preferred o attach nex5 rater then nikon D300 due to its light weight and equally good iso performance.

Wondering if anyone has compared SLR attachment vs DS eye pieces?

Attachments

• sssDSC00497.jpg
    sssDSC00497.jpg
    365.5 KB · Views: 174
Technically Nikon does not recommend using the slr adapter with the ED50 since the scope housing may not be robust enough to handle the weight/tork of dslr. However, a new mirrorless camera like NEX 5 is not our fathers SLR! Obiviously it does very well and your pic is quite nice.

The main difference between using the SLR attachment with a NEX 5 and traditional digiscoping with 16x Wide eyepiece and pocket cam like the Nikon P300 is the effective SYSTEM focal length and aperture. The SLR attachment delivers ~640mm @F9 while the 16x Wide DS on a P300 would deliver ~525mm-1600mm @ F2.5-5.6. So while your NEX5 has perhaps 3-4 stop High ISO image quality advantage, it gives most of it back with a slower shutter speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back