• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss 8/10x54 HT (1 Viewer)

I've seen this develop and waited to see what other feedback came from this thread. This information has been clearly communicated to the Product management team in Wetzlar and has been further pushed to the head of R&D to sample internal inventory to evaluate this situation. I can not comment on the details of the factory findings at this time since I have not been notified. However, I can say that the internal specs were defined to assure that the maximum CA allowed in the 54's was to not exceed the small amount of CA that could be detected in the 56mm FL's. I do know that the CA in the 56FL's is extremely minimal so this thread is surprising to us. We are evaluating this situation and more info to come as we clarify our findings.

Please also have them check for what appears to be massive spherical aberration, as per the information posted above. CA is the secondary problem at this point.

Henry,

What a typically clear and simple demonstration!
Perhaps you got the World Cup special edition for Italian fans. It does look like their flag out at the edges.

John

Thanks Henry for the great pictures! It really shows the large amount of CA in the 54. I assume that the 8x56 FL is your own--the CA on it is quite tolerable. You & Kimmo saved me from purchasing one of the new 8x54s--think I'll now wait & hope that the Swaro 8x56 SLC will make it to the States or consider a Europe purchase!

Sorry to hear that, we need more guinea pigs. It will make things interesting if someone finds a good 54HT.

I should add some caveats about the photos.

It was very difficult to center the tiny area that is free of lateral color in the HT. It's just as difficult to center it and keep it centered when you are actually looking through the binocular. I picked the photo I posted because the lateral color is nearly symmetrical along the horizontal axis, but it's a little off on the vertical axis, which causes the color fringes on the horizontal members of the central cross. For the best comparison with the FL image ignore those horizontal fringes and line up the center cross of the HT image with the first bar to the right of the cross in the FL image, which is the most color free FL bar. That gives a pretty accurate view along the horizontal axis of the difference that the eye really sees between the two.

Also remember that these are magnified images of 13º of apparent field. For my computer the image subtends about 13º when viewed from about 6' away.

Henry

Last edited:
Thanks Henry.

It appears that the color free zone of the FL is not well centered on the target, but is aimed couple of steps to the right. Not meaning to seem overly critical, but that was giving me a confused impression of the FL at first. The FL looks a lot better for sure!

Ron

Ron,

To my eyes it looks like the first bar to the right is a little better than the second one. The true center is certainly somewhere between them, but I think it's closer to the first one. I'll see if I can find an FL photo with better centering. I'm afraid these backyard methods don't have the finest tolerances. I just squeeze off a lot of photos and hope a few are close enough. Happily, in this case the difference between the FL and HT is stark.

Looks like I also got my arithmetic wrong (forgot to double) and was a little too generous with the distance between the bar centers (it's about 1º instead of 1.3º), so I went back and corrected those.

Henry

I would be curious to know how the 8x54 HT compares with the 8x56 FLs (Henry Link, Kimmo, Binomania?). As of now, the U.S. pricing puts the two Zeisses within $50 of one another, but the 8x54 HT is 8 oz. lighter overall. I've thought of a new 8x56 Swarov SLC, but Swarovski won't bring them to the U.S. The lighter 8x54 HT, if as bright as the 8x56 FL could be a winner!

Dear Karmantra, in the next weeks i am able to write about a comparison with these binoculars:
1) Swarovski SLC 8x56 (New)
2) Zeiss HT 8x54
3) Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56
4) Kowa BD8x56 Prominar
and others..

On 6-7 September i've organized a little meeting in Valtellina for the new Zeiss SF and the new APM 100 APO, but i think that me and the partecipants will find the time to do also this comparative.
http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=6511

Please, wait :)
Piergiovanni

Dear Karmantra, in the next weeks i am able to write about a comparison with these binoculars:
1) Swarovski SLC 8x56 (New)
2) Zeiss HT 8x54
3) Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56
4) Kowa BD8x56 Prominar
and others..

On 6-7 September i've organized a little meeting in Valtellina for the new Zeiss SF and the new APM 100 APO, but i think that me and the partecipants will find the time to do also this comparative.
http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=6511

Please, wait :)
Piergiovanni

Hi,
take also Nobilem 8x56 please, like in previous "King of twilight"
Like it much, quite old but still one of best /except the FOV/

Best regards Kestrel

Dear all,
I had the opportunity to compare the 8x54HT with the 8x56SLC-WB at the Dutch Birdfair last weekend.
Some observations: the HT is not brighter than the SLC. That is not so strange, since the SLC has a measured light transmission of 95% at 550 nm and it has a slightly larger exit pupil.
Color dispersion was very low in the SLC and I could only see it at the very edge of the image. Color dispersion was much more in the HT and already quickly visible not far from the centre of the image.
The SLC has only a small zone of unsharpness at the edge of the image, that unsharp zone is larger in the HT.
The focussing speed of the HT is about 1,3 rotations from close focus to infinity, while it is 1,75 rotations for the SLC. Both binoculars have a good handling comfort.
I hope to test both binoculars for a longer period of time in the near future.
Gijs

Gijs,

Thanks for sharing your observations. They closely match mine and those made by Henry. The phenomenon that you call color dispersion is what we have called lateral chromatic aberration. It is odd that it would be more prominent in the big HT than in the big Zeiss FL or the big SLC's, but that is what our observations show.

It will be interesting to hear what you find in your more extended testing.

Kimmo

I’ve now spent some considerable time with the 8x54 HT. Once I have things organized I’ll start another thread with the results of the tests I did, including photos of lateral chromatic aberration, star-tests, color bias, etc.

For folks who just want the skinny without the optogeeky details I’ll just say that the sample I saw was just as bad as the one Kimmo saw and in nearly identical ways.

The main problems I could identify are excessive lateral color, which appears close to the field center or even in the center with very slight pupil decentering, and excessive spherical aberration, which is still not well corrected even when the binocular is stopped down to 22mm. There are also other anomalies in the star test, which may play a role. Perhaps others will have some ideas about those when I post the star-test photos.

I’ll just add that this specimen’s failure to form a sharp image in the center of the field was not subtle. I think any but the most casual user would find it unacceptable in a binocular at any price.

Henry:

Your issues about the Zeiss HT 8x54 are now confirmed by Binomania.

The recent post on the site, Oct. 17th, has a comparison with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 and the Swarovski SLC HD 8x56.

The HT 8x54 was lacking in sharpness, resolution, and had much more
field curvature and distortion than the others.

Jerry

Henry:

The recent post on the site, Oct. 17th, has a comparison with the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 and the Swarovski SLC HD 8x56.

Jerry

Yep, it is flabbergasting for the $1000 cheaper Conquest to clearly perform at a higher level - flabbergasting and embarrassing for Zeiss.

Well past time to recall the entire 54 mm line and try again - this time aiming for a quality level a bit above that of a $100.00 Chinese knock-off. Zeiss has been talking the talk, when it comes to quality lately - let's see them walk the walk.

Henry:

Jerry

Thanks and no surprises there, Jerry.

Back in July one of the Zeiss reps posted that '' ... the VAST majority of these units [HT 54s] are sold to the the extreme low light European hunting community. This community has completely welcomed this product ... ''

^^^ in reality a community with which I am very closely associated with and in which virtually no-one has shown any interest in this product save as a curiosity to compare with the SLC.

Henry:

Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not at all surprised by that review. I think anyone who carefully compares a tripod mounted 8x54 HT to a low aberration reference will have to notice that something is wrong.

I realize now that my review didn't say much about off-axis performance. It just seemed pointless for a binocular that couldn't reach a truly sharp focus in the field center. So FWIW, I found the HT distortion profile followed the traditional Zeiss pattern of applying about enough pincushion distortion to counteract angular magnification distortion, so I think most people would find panning unobjectionable. I also noted the usual Zeiss style off-axis astigmatism. The astigmatism by itself is probably similar to the 8x56 FL, but aberrations are additive, so when a larger amount of spherical aberration and lateral color are added to the astigmatism of the HT its off-axis image quality winds up looking noticeably worse than the FL.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back