• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

St. Martins Press and Golden books (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
St. Martins has a paperback US Birds book, which I have discussed under Small guide books.

Their other books are good for a quick overview or for kids. They cover only US species typically.

Have not seen this yet:
Birds of Prey of the World
A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press Whittley, Sarah Golden Guides from St. Martin's Press 0-312-32239-9
$6.95 [I probably have all these birds in other books, but nice to compare the topic world wide in a small book]

Pond Life: A Guide to Common Plants and Animals of North American Ponds and Lakes (Golden Guide)

Mammals: A Guide to Familiar American Species

Insects: A Guide to Familiar American Insects (Golden Guide)

Butterflies and Moths: A Guide to the More Common American Species (Golden Guide)

There are a few on birds, I have not tracked them all down. One I have that I like is on Rain Forests. I left it somewhere, misplaced. I will give the author if anyone is interested.

Another is Bird Life, by Stephen Kress. Well worth the $6 price.

short Amazon Review:
Although small in size, this book covers all the aspects of the lives of birds. Everything from nesting to migration. There's more to birding than just identification, and this book is a good start for that step beyond. Also has good illustrations. Recommended.

Last edited:
Tero said:
There are a few on birds, I have not tracked them all down. One I have that I like is on Rain Forests. I left it somewhere, misplaced. I will give the author if anyone is interested.

Tropical Rainforests, Allen Young, 2001. St Martins/Golden guide. Pretty good bird section. For a six-seven dollar book.

"Tropical Rainforests
A Golden Guide from St. Martin's Press
230 Species in Full Color
by Allen M. Young, Ph.D.
Illustrated by Judith Huf"

birds on pp. 92-113 so, maybe 40-50 species. Not a lot, but it is a habitat book, not a bird book.

Last edited:
While my very first bird books (from the late 50s!) were from Golden, I haven't got familiar with their books today. I know they have a great range of things available.

Those first books were the Little Golden Books of Birds -- 4 in all, blue, green, red, and yellow. Unfortunately, all but the blue one have been lost in the intervening years. But I do treasure the one left!

Well, if you want to see the new ones, Bird Life, by Stephen Kress is the one to get. Small, but nice and readable, even for expert birders.

Comparable to the Golden Guides is one small book, Birds (Pockets series), by Barbara Taylor, Doring Kindersley press. OK for up to high school level, nice descriptions of habitats.

The Golden Guide called Birds is a slim volume for beginners, quite good guide of 129 common birds for $6.95. I got mine for $1.99. BUT, in the end there is a wonderful table of migration times for selected cities and nesting and feeding habits. The book is recommended just for the table. Useable quick summary.

AND, I have not seen all 129, as it has lots of Western birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back