• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HT Objective Covers (1 Viewer)

Dukat

Zeiss Conquest HD Objective Covers

Hi all,

Just got my first new bin's in 30 years, 8x32 Conquest HD.

Was tossed between Swarovski CL and Vortex Vipers, tried them in-store but neither wow'd me. Couldn't find a local store with the Conquests so took a risk ordering them based on everything I've read in the forums without having tried them.

The risk paid off. Everything just pops with clarity and color!
Love everything about them except the objective caps. They fall off with the slightest tap. Did no one in the company, from the designers to senior mgmt question them?

How do you all keep your covers on? Is there a trick? Did you get a 3rd party cap?
Does anyone know if these will fit? Looks like they should go on, but may be really tight due to the rubber padding on the side of barrels. I wouldn't want to pull the armor off forcing them on.

Your advice much appreciated. Thanks.

The only real answer (cheap) is a piece of black electrical tape. Its worked for three years on my Atlas Intrepids which have the same problem.
Steve

Hi all,

Just got my first new bin's in 30 years, 8x32 Conquest HD.

Was tossed between Swarovski CL and Vortex Vipers, tried them in-store but neither wow'd me. Couldn't find a local store with the Conquests so took a risk ordering them based on everything I've read in the forums without having tried them.

The risk paid off. Everything just pops with clarity and color!
Love everything about them except the objective caps. They fall off with the slightest tap. Did no one in the company, from the designers to senior mgmt question them?

How do you all keep your covers on? Is there a trick? Did you get a 3rd party cap?
Does anyone know if these will fit? Looks like they should go on, but may be really tight due to the rubber padding on the side of barrels. I wouldn't want to pull the armor off forcing them on.

Your advice much appreciated. Thanks.

As you have just found out, Zeiss's strengths lay elsewhere and not in 'on-product' accessories.

Take a look at your Conquests from the objective end and you will see that the rubber armour has two different thickness leaving a couple of 'steps' in the rubber. Any simple circular cover that you push on over the objectives will leave small gaps over these steps so blown sand and rain could get in.

But if you just want to protect your objectives from bumps or sharp thorns when pushing through brush then simple push-ons will do.

But do you really need objective covers at all?? I have never seen them used in the UK but we have limited areas of blown sand. What I mean is, just because they come in the box with the bins doesn't mean you have to use them. All I do is tuck my bins inside my jacket or shirt if the going gets tough or sandy.

Good luck.

Lee

I got some like the ones at the BH link but got them from Eagle Optics instead. Don't remember the size but call them and they'll let you know what works. The objective covers on the HTs, which are of similar style, work just fine. The Conquests', not so much.

It will help when you call Eagle Optics to give them the outside diameter of the objective tubes so you get the right sized Vortex Tethered Push On Objective Covers for them.

Bob

Like Lee, I rarely use them other than when stored away. I bought a set of the Vortex but the ones I bought are a wee bit loose. When I know they will be used they just go in the case without the objective covers. When storing for a while, I use the cover.

I'm interested in this topic as well as I have a pair of 10x42 HDs coming and I've heard that the covers are horrible.

The objective covers for the HD are very poor, they fall out and
they were an afterthought. It seems style over function won out.

The typical tethered style does not fit the odd shaped irregular armor
of the HD. The Terra is the same and also the Victory HT, I suspect.

If Eagle Optics has found a tethered type that works for the 42
model then let us know.

The optics of the Conquest are very good, so enjoy that part. ;)

Jerry

As you have just found out, Zeiss's strengths lay elsewhere and not in 'on-product' accessories.

Take a look at your Conquests from the objective end and you will see that the rubber armor has two different thickness leaving a couple of 'steps' in the rubber. Any simple circular cover that you push on over the objectives will leave small gaps over these steps so blown sand and rain could get in.

Lee

Lee, glad you brought this up. :t:
I, too, have noticed the difference between the thickness of armor on my HTs and the new Conquests and knew that a slip over cover would not work well. |:||
I always loved the individual swing down objective covers on my old Swarovski SLs better than any I have ever used.
Similar covers are found on the newest SVs and other brands.

Since circular slip on covers will allow sand and water to reach the glass (as you pointed out above), why couldn't Zeiss offer a slip on cover that has a circular ring molder into the bottom to protect the glass but with upper dimensions that would conform to the half octagon shape of the current rubber armoring ? (Are you listening, Mike) ? :hi:

Zeiss designed the current rubber armor with handling comfort in mind but did a poor job on the objective cover!
The current objective cover protects the lens okay when they stay in place.
"When" is the operative word!
The objective cover on my HTs loosen several times a day. |<|

The rain guard is much better but still not as good as my old SL guard.
I hope Zeiss decides to offer an improvement on the objective covers.
I would purchase some immediately!
...and a new improved rain guard too! :t:
Anyone else have any ideas for improved objective covers ? |8)|

I just received my Conquest HD 10x42 and I agree that the objective cover leaves a lot to be desired. I played around with how to attach these and I now have the detachable portion looped around the inlet where the straps go. It seems to put a slight tension on the string, pulling the objective cover tighter. I think If there was a way to tighten the slack even more, the covers wouldn't have a problem staying on. I'll keep trying and post my findings.

I just got the 10x42s too. The Zeiss covers are really bad. Got these and they work great.

Vortex VOCB42
Two Tethered Push-On Objective Caps for 42mm Fury, Razor, & Viper Binoculars

and

Vortex VORRV
Eyepiece Rainguard for Razor & Viper Binoculars

I just got the 10x42s too. The Zeiss covers are really bad. Got these and they work great.

Vortex VOCB42
Two Tethered Push-On Objective Caps for 42mm Fury, Razor, & Viper Binoculars

and

Vortex VORRV
Eyepiece Rainguard for Razor & Viper Binoculars

Thanks for the heads up. I've just ordered these two items and will report back with pics!

I hated buying a thousand dollar pair of 12x's with no objective covers, I mean C'mon Zeiss get your act together on these kinds of things.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back