• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra has a baby (1 Viewer)

No Lee. I didn't call. I'm hollering!;)

If Zeiss gave me a 10 year warranty when I bought it does that mean when I transfer it to someone else they have a Lifetime warranty?:C:eek!:

Bob

Bob:

Did you read the posts from above, and all of the wty. info that you
received with your binocular?

You have a lifetime limited wty. in the USA.

If it makes you feel better, go holler again, this time off by yourself.

Jerry

Bob:

Did you read the posts from above, and all of the wty. info that you
received with your binocular?

You have a lifetime limited wty. in the USA.

If it makes you feel better, go holler again, this time off by yourself.

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

Yes I did read everything about my warranty in the information booklet I received for my 8x42 Terra ED. There is nothing in it mentioning a lifetime warranty.

Instead, why don't you tell me where I can find this lifetime limited warranty which takes precedence over the one I have which was dated 02/13. That is the date the booklet was printed. Remember, this lifetime limited warranty is going to have to be dated after mine is to cover my binocular because I registered it with Zeiss and they know what kind of warranty it has. And I am not sure I really want a Lifetime Limited Warranty over one which takes care of everything over the term of 10 years.

OK?

This reminds me of George Steinbrenner's ownership partner in the New York Yankees. He was a "limited partner." He said that there was nothing so limited as a limited partner of George Steinbrenner!

Bob

Last edited:
Bob:

The USA wty. is a foldout included with my binocular also
with a date of 02-13. Mine was purchased from Cameraland, if that makes any difference.
Doug does not handle gray market.

As mentioned earlier you can find this info. on the Zeiss website.

Don't worry, be happy. ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

I got mine from Camera Land too. The warranty inside the "User Instructions" card is not mentioned on its cover and it is different from the one in the booklet which clearly states on its cover "Instructions for use/Guarantee."

This indicates to me that Zeiss's left hand did not know what its right hand was doing when these instructions were printed. No proof reading was done.

Next question: Which warranty is better? Clearly the "Lifetime" one is because the 10 year warranty requires you to send in your own personal guarantee card which you received from Zeiss after you registered your binocular with them in order to get service. See page 25. What do you do if you have misplaced it?

Note to the Zeiss rep who is following this discussion: Be sure to have the warranty information for the New SF thoroughly proof read before releasing it with the new binoculars!:eek!::eek!:

Bob

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

May you register it online?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur:hi:

Hi Arthur,

Yes. There are instructions in the manual for registering it online. In both cases, after either online or mail registration you will receive the personal guarantee card in 4 to 6 weeks. It takes that long to process it.

Certainly if this is done Zeiss must have a record of it.

Bob

That is the plan for all Terra models.

Lee

This was the situation regarding the current Terra 42s, as explained by Stephen Ingraham and Mike Jensen, and with my post above, I am assuming the same will apply to future Terras like the 32. However I haven't seen this confirmed by anyone from Zeiss so I might have been jumping the gun a bit here.

Lee

Bob I've got a headache just reading that :smoke:

To paraphrase Jan, where is Mike Jensen when you need him??? :t:

Lee

As I've understood today, he'll meet the other Zeiss reps from all countries coming week in Wetzlar to brainstorm over issues like earlier mentioned.

It is indeed impossible to explain to non US citizens that they only get 2 years guarantee. This is at least the Dutch consensus in this matter.

Jan

As I've understood today, he'll meet the other Zeiss reps from all countries coming week in Wetzlar to brainstorm over issues like earlier mentioned.

It is indeed impossible to explain to non US citizens that they only get 2 years guarantee. This is at least the Dutch consensus in this matter.

Jan

To All:
Warranties are designed to service the products and maintain the highest level of consumer expectation based on legal and geographic needs. In the USA, lifetime warranties at Zeiss have been in place many, many years, and are standard amongst all optics companies. Zeiss offers a limited lifetime warranty on our products in the USA because it both meets the standard of what American consumers expect from a manufacture when the consumer purchases optics, and is also very necessary to remain competitive. If a product is purchased in America, it is serviced in America and falls under the USA warranty policy. If a product is purchased abroad, different warranties and service policies may apply.

To All:
Warranties are designed to service the products and maintain the highest level of consumer expectation based on legal and geographic needs. In the USA, lifetime warranties at Zeiss have been in place many, many years, and are standard amongst all optics companies. Zeiss offers a limited lifetime warranty on our products in the USA because it both meets the standard of what American consumers expect from a manufacture when the consumer purchases optics, and is also very necessary to remain competitive. If a product is purchased in America, it is serviced in America and falls under the USA warranty policy. If a product is purchased abroad, different warranties and service policies may apply.

This still does not explain why we get two warranties in the USA. (I can only speak for Zeiss binoculars sold for use in the USA.) They are the Limited Lifetime Warranty and the 10 year Warranty.

My 8x42 Terra ED came with both of them. The Limited Lifetime Warranty was printed on the instruction sheet that came with the binocular. The 10 year warranty was explained in detail in the handbook which came with the binocular. This is the booklet which contains the registration information for the new binocular with instructions on how to get a registration card which will have to accompany the binocular should it have to be returned to Zeiss for warranty repair work.

This 10 year warranty is written in English, and Spanish, and French, and German and a far eastern language--probably either Chinese or Japanese.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob:

You are very slow on the uptake. The warranty has been spelled out clearly.

Not sure why you would have any further questions.

Jerry

No Jerry,

You are the one who seems to be slow.

BOTH warranties have been spelled out clearly.

Bob

Bob, perhaps this helps clarify. There is one product made and packaged for all global regions. With different warranties offered in different geographic regions, we can not economically package one product for the USA and one product for other global regions. The decision was made to include both warranties in all Terra products, and then the consumer will be serviced based on his/her geographic location. Perhaps we can do a better job spelling this out to limit the confusion. I will discuss this with my marketing team.

Thanks for the input. It will help us be a better company.

M

Bob, perhaps this helps clarify. There is one product made and packaged for all global regions. With different warranties offered in different geographic regions, we can not economically package one product for the USA and one product for other global regions. The decision was made to include both warranties in all Terra products, and then the consumer will be serviced based on his/her geographic location. Perhaps we can do a better job spelling this out to limit the confusion. I will discuss this with my marketing team.

Thanks for the input. It will help us be a better company.

M

Thank you for responding Mike!

That will help clear up the confusion on this issue.:t:

And have a pleasant Thanksgiving Holiday!B :)

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back