• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Binoculars of 2013: The Cornell Lab Review (1 Viewer)

What I found most interesting about this review was the graph with price on the x-axis and 'quality index' on the y axis. Seems like the law of diminishing returns really starts to take place around $1000, with extremely small improvements in 'quality index' only occurring when spending DOUBLE or even TRIPLE the amount of money.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=2675

Jaymie, You observations are correct. Optically, $1000 binoculars are getting very close to the top. My analogy in the optics world is that it takes an incredible investment of money to get another 1/4 mile an hour out of an Indy race car. Optics are quite the same. Only a few of us top companies will invest to hit these benchmarks. This is exactly why Zeiss has split our categories as we have.

Jaymie, You observations are correct. Optically, $1000 binoculars are getting very close to the top. My analogy in the optics world is that it takes an incredible investment of money to get another 1/4 mile an hour out of an Indy race car. Optics are quite the same. Only a few of us top companies will invest to hit these benchmarks. This is exactly why Zeiss has split our categories as we have.

Mike:

It is good to have you on here explaining the industry side of
things.
In your lower tier, will you be bringing out a 8x32 in the Terra line?
There seems to be lots of interest in this size.

Jerry

Mike:

It is good to have you on here explaining the industry side of
things.
In your lower tier, will you be bringing out a 8x32 in the Terra line?
There seems to be lots of interest in this size.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,
A comment regarding your industry point first. As an optics brand executive and industry participant on a global consumer forum website, it's important for me to never try to sell anything, or speak negatively against some quality competitors. I simply am here to help by explaining the business logic behind what sometimes seems to be unexplainable corporate moves. Thanks for recognizing this.

Regarding new products, I was recently asked in a PM about another new product request, and I'll copy and paste that PM answer below. It's probably not a fair answer, but it's the best I can do. Enjoy.

"I'd love to give you insider info on what is coming in 2014, but I really am obligated to keep corporate confidentiality. Let's just say that for the last 2 years, we have been working very hard at transforming our portfolio. We will have new product coming next year, just like we did for the last 2 years. January 1 is when we launch mostly American key products and March at the European IWA show normally revolves around more European key products. We know what categories we are missing for each market segment regarding binos and scopes that the market is asking for and these are on our radar screen, but I just cant say when these will come. The good news is that 2014 is only 7 weeks away. ;-) Sorry for being vague"

We will have new product coming next year, just like we did for the last 2 years. January 1 is when we launch mostly American key products and March at the European IWA show normally revolves around more European key products. We know what categories we are missing for each market segment regarding binos and scopes that the market is asking for and these are on our radar screen, but I just cant say when these will come. The good news is that 2014 is only 7 weeks away. ;-) Sorry for being vague"

Great intro to another long speculation thread :-O

I would be all over an 8x32 Terra HD, if they translated that build quality and optics into a squatter version with a wider FOV at ~$300. I was hoping to upgrade to the 8x32 conquest HD but financial priorities have changed a bit recently. So instead I'm enjoying the heck out of a pair of Leupy 6x30 Yo that only set me back $50 (thanks Todd).

........ We know what categories we are missing for each market segment regarding binos and scopes that the market is asking for and these are on our radar screen, but I just cant say when these will come. The good news is that 2014 is only 7 weeks away. ;-) Sorry for being vague"

Are there enough of us 7x lovers to be considered a market segment??? :t:

Would be great to be on the radar.

CG

What surprises me is how poorly the EDG's did. The Monarch 7 according to them is just as good. They must not value sharp edges as in the EDG and Swarovision.

7x has been on my radar for some time now.

I did notice the 7x EDG scored higher than the Swaro EL sv 8x32. Are you listening Dennis?

Also, I've heard it claimed on this forum on more than one occasion that the 7x is the standout of the EDG line.

If you look at the #'s, the so called amatures placed the 7X EDG at the top of the EDG bunch, which parallels opinion here.

Maybe, just maybe, they might know what they're talking about???

CG

7x has been on my radar for some time now.

I did notice the 7x EDG scored higher than the Swaro EL sv 8x32. Are you listening Dennis?

Also, I've heard it claimed on this forum on more than one occasion that the 7x is the standout of the EDG line.

If you look at the #'s, the so called amatures placed the 7X EDG at the top of the EDG bunch, which parallels opinion here.

Maybe, just maybe, they might know what they're talking about???

CG
I have no doubt the Nikon EDG 7x42 would be an excellent performer. At 28 oz. it is a little heavy for me. That big EP and big aperture is going to make the 7x EDG nice. It is funny how LOW the Zen Rays scored isn't? According to Cornell the best binocular value for your money is the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 HD or perhaps a used Zeiss 8x32 FL. These Zeiss are sharp on-axis but the edges aren't. I guess they are not looking at the edges. The EDG and the Swarovision have field flatteners so more of the FOV is sharp, whereas, Zeiss doesn't use them. Funny the old FL beat the HT which everybody is raving about also in clarity. I had the Nikon 8x32 EDG and I would say it deserves a better score than it received. In Allbinos the Swarovision was ranked number 1, the EDG number 2, and the FL number 3 in the 42mm's and that is exactly how I would rank them.

Last edited:
It is funny how dumb this test is. Like I'm supposed to prefer my 8x32 FL over my 8x32 SV. LOL!!

M

Okay, not directing this at you but, you are supposed to prefer what you prefer, why would you use a test by a bunch of random users to validate what you like? It seems a lot of folks have their self worth invested in their "brand" and anything that doesnt validate it it is bogus in their opinion.

It's a random test by a bunch of users as to which they prfer, it's not a test by people who worry about looking at the edges, they are more worried about ease of use and most center the view. That a large number of people found the Z product to be more user friendly than the S product doesnt suddenly make one better or worse than the other.

It is funny how dumb this test is. Like I'm supposed to prefer my 8x32 FL over my 8x32 SV. LOL!!

M
Never happen. I compared all three top alpha 8x32's and I liked the Swarovision best, Nikon EDG 2nd, and the Zeiss FL last. These three are so close it's a matter of personal taste which you like best.They are all pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Personally, I can't stand the Swarovision models and in Swaro's line, it's the SLC all the way.

Zeiss is an easy first choice for me too, just like the consensus in these reviews.

Swarovski fans seem to be a little edgy about their bins. Not sure why that is. Perhaps the rest of us just aren't as smart or skilled as they are in determining what we feel the top binoculars are. Like I said earlier in this thread, had Swaro come out number one we'd have gotten a lot of posts about how Cornell's reviewers got it right.

Not being an optics brand executive, I can be less vague. Here comes the bins Zeiss said they wouldn't make and which Lee will buy the first one off the line - the 8x32 HT (and 10x32).

Also, since Zeiss is looking to appeal to multiple income brackets now, expect a lower priced line of spotting scopes, perhaps a Conquest HD line or a Terra ED line to compete with Nikon's new Monarch scopes. Made in China with Teutonic QC.

Brock

Not being an optics brand executive, I can be less vague. Here comes the bins Zeiss said they wouldn't make and which Lee will buy the first one off the line - the 8x32 HT (and 10x32).

Also, since Zeiss is looking to appeal to multiple income brackets now, expect a lower priced line of spotting scopes, perhaps a Conquest HD line or a Terra ED line to compete with Nikon's new Monarch scopes. Made in China with Teutonic QC.

Brock

Brock:

Zeiss has done that very thing with an update of their riflescopes,
they have the new Victory HT, Conquest and Terra lineup.

I suppose the spotters are next, along with the rest.

Jerry

Last edited:
Personally, I can't stand the Swarovision models and in Swaro's line, it's the SLC all the way.

Zeiss is an easy first choice for me too, just like the consensus in these reviews.

Swarovski fans seem to be a little edgy about their bins. Not sure why that is. Perhaps the rest of us just aren't as smart or skilled as they are in determining what we feel the top binoculars are. Like I said earlier in this thread, had Swaro come out number one we'd have gotten a lot of posts about how Cornell's reviewers got it right.
You either like the Swarovision's or you don't. That is why Swarovski made the SLC. To give you the Zeiss like view with no RB if that is what you want. I like Zeiss also. The Zeiss 8x32 FL for me is very close to the Swarovision. I just prefer the sharper edges of the Swaro and the smaller, narrower size which fits my hands better than the FL. I haven't had a chance to try the Zeiss 8x42 HT but I am sold on 32mm's for their size and weight and performance so when Zeiss does come out with an HT 8x32 I would definitely look at it. I am sure it will be an excellent glass. HaHa!

Having a sharp, bright optic you can just lift to your eyes an use without fuss is a wonderful attribute, that summarises the Zeiss FL perfectly.

Its not really surprising people found this worthy and ranked it highly.

What I found most interesting about this review was the graph with price on the x-axis and 'quality index' on the y axis. Seems like the law of diminishing returns really starts to take place around $1000, with extremely small improvements in 'quality index' only occurring when spending DOUBLE or even TRIPLE the amount of money.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=2675

I feel much the same. The Nikon premier, Alpen Rainer, and Vortex razor are models that represent this..... each just over a grand. The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 is the same, but has moved the price point under a grand.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back