• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-Crested or Sulplur-Crested Cockatoo ? (Singapore) (1 Viewer)

Definitely interested where this goes, because I has just assumed the ones I had seen in Sydney were Sulphur-Cresteds. I may need to make a change to my life list.

I hadn't realized there was another cockatoo that could be mistaken for a Sulphur. I'd known about the SC since before I was even birding and had never heard of the YC. Just need to revisit the photos and reconsider the species, based on the field marks discussed here.

I hadn't realized there was another cockatoo that could be mistaken for a Sulphur.

There isn't in Australia

Yellow-crested

This species is endemic to Timor-Leste and Indonesia, where it was formerly common throughout Nusa Tenggara (from Bali to Timor), on Sulawesi and its satellite islands, and the Masalembu Islands (in the Java Sea).

From Birdlife international

You have seen Sulphur Crested in Australia.

Andy

Checked in HBW; Yellow-crested is introduced in Singapore, but not Sulphur-crested (guessing I was getting muddled with other spp like Goffin's)

Checked in HBW; Yellow-crested is introduced in Singapore, but not Sulphur-crested (guessing I was getting muddled with other spp like Goffin's)

My understanding...
Goffin's/Tanimbar is a common introduced breeder;
Yellow-crested is an uncommon introduced breeder;
Sulfur-crested as far as I know isn't breeding and just escapees in the Sentosa and Mt Faber area

Thanks, my guess is Yellow-Crested (33cm)...it's size doesn't really match Sulphur-Crested (45-55cm) and this shot was taken at very east of Singapore @ Pasir Ris Mangrove Swamp ....far from viator mention locations @ Sentosa or Mt. Faber .

Sulphur-crested for me. No significant yellow cheek patch and white skin around eye (cf bluish in yellow-crested).

I'm not completely convinced it's Sulphur-crested. The yellow on the cheeks can be very faint on Yellow-crested, and the orbital skin very pale blue (looking at some images), and I think I can see very faint yellow on the cheeks and a bluish tinge to the orbital skin on this bird. One is huge compared to the other, so size in the field ought to be a good clue!

I'm not completely convinced it's Sulphur-crested. The yellow on the cheeks can be very faint on Yellow-crested, and the orbital skin very pale blue (looking at some images), and I think I can see very faint yellow on the cheeks and a bluish tinge to the orbital skin on this bird. One is huge compared to the other, so size in the field ought to be a good clue!

ScC can develop a slight yellow on the cheeks whilst YcC has a much brighter crest (closer to orange they say in some) generally. Racially, ScC can have a bluish hint to the eye ring, clear as mud really.

As Larry says, size would be the clincher but I'm still in the Sulphur camp.

Andy

Last edited:
I quote from Parrots of the World, Juniper and Parr.

Re Yellow-crested

'This is the only one of the three (confusion species) to show a strong yellow or orange-yellow suffusion on the ear coverts and this feature alone should be enough to separate it from the other confusion species'

It does go on to say that some races can be weakly marked, we need to measure it, however, this is an escaped cagebird so I guess strictly should not be on this board?

Andy

Last edited:
,..... however, this is an escaped cagebird so I guess strictly should not be on this board?

Andy

...unless it's a Yellow-crested, in which case you could call it feral! ;)

here's a pic of what I assume is Yellow-crested (going on the blueness of the orbital ring), showing white cheeks: http://www.konicaminolta.com/kids/endangered_animals/library/sky/yc-cockatoo.html

there are several other pics of yellow-cheeked birds with whitish orbital skin, and pics of Yellow-cresteds with very faintly yellow cheeks. In a small feral population (like on Singapore) they could be even weirder I suppose.

I'm still not totally convinced it's Sulphur-crested.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back