• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adapter for Swarovski AT-80 HD ? (1 Viewer)

Bourouba

I have had the Swarovski AT-80 HD with an angle for 3 or 4 years and I am very happy with it. I use it mostly to look at a pair of preregrine falcons living at a cliff near my home in Quebec Canada. During the winter we also have gyrfalcons coming to the cliff.

This springtime, I want to document the behavior of the peregrine falcons and take numerous photos of them: feeding, with their chicks, cleaning their feathers, etc. After researching the cameras I believe I will purchase the Fuji F31. But I do not have any idea about the adapter for it. Which kind would be best? Where to get it?

The falcons are quite far away and high up on the cliff. I need to be able to take clear pictures from a long distance.

Can soemeone advise me?
PS: my english is not very good but hopefully is understandable...

Adapter

Look in to the weather the Fuji F31 can take the Swarovoski DCA adapter. I have been using it for 3 years now and its an excellent adapter. If you want any more info message me.

Jon

Suffolkringer said:
Look in to the weather the Fuji F31 can take the Swarovoski DCA adapter. I have been using it for 3 years now and its an excellent adapter. If you want any more info message me.

Jon

Jon - Thank you so much for the very quick reply. I'll follow up with you with a PM. But if others have suggestions as well I am all ears...

Bourouba said:
Jon - Thank you so much for the very quick reply. I'll follow up with you with a PM. But if others have suggestions as well I am all ears...

Bourouba-I am using ATS 80 HD with SRB-Griturn swing away adapter. Adapter is of good quality and works well. It allows camera to swing away from eyepiece for normal vewing. There are several threads on this forum about the adapter. At what range will you be shooting from as the quality of photos goes down at long distances.

Steve

sletson said:
Bourouba-I am using ATS 80 HD with SRB-Griturn swing away adapter. Adapter is of good quality and works well. It allows camera to swing away from eyepiece for normal vewing. There are several threads on this forum about the adapter. At what range will you be shooting from as the quality of photos goes down at long distances.

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply. The distance will be a challenge for the falcons. They are high up on the cliff and at a good distance. I wll need 100 to 120 times magnifying more or less. I do want to take great pictures of other birds at a much lesser distance with my equipment too. But for the falcons what I mostly want is to have decent pictures to document their presence and their behavior. I am well aware that with such a large magnifying, I cannot expect top quality. Still, I would like to do as well as possible with the adequate epuipment. I will take a strong look at the SRB-Griturn swing away adapter. My scope has an angle - will the adapter work just as well?

Bourouba,
I have the SRB-Griturn swing away adapter. They make them for each model and eyepiece so they'll definitely have one that works for your set up. The advantage of this is that any small digital camera with a tripod socket can be used. Here's another thread that discusses the SRB-Griturn adaptor . It will work even better with the angled scope than a straight scope - gravity helping hold the swing-away to the eyepiece.

You might also want to browse through some of the other digiscoping threads for more recommendations on cameras and adaptors.

Suffolkringer said:

Jon
Try the website, optics4birding; they have information on the adapters for the Swarovski scope. I am using the DCA adapter. But as stated above you had better make sure your camera, adapter and scope will all mate-up without vignetting problems etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back