• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Canon megapixel camera - Anti-Aliasing (AA) or not? (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
The rumour sites are increasingly confident that Canon will launch a megapixel DSLR (53MP?) sometime in March. Pricing is thought to be between 1Dx and 5D3 although what that means in terms of other specification parameters remains to be seen. However, it does appear that this new body will be offered as two body options - with and without Anti-Aliasing (AA). Not having an AA filter is claimed to provide "slightly improved" sharpness. The route of no AA (I believe) has already been led by the Nikon D800 and some compacts.

My question is: "If you are taking bird photographs with a 53MP body (ignoring sensor specifications at this point) and routinely crop your images, will there be significant observable benefit (or disadvantages) in going non-AA?"

Michael.

The AA filter should help with the moiré effect and that shows most on fine patterns Feathers for example but software can help remove it so does it really matter .

I don't think it does I would have to see shots of the same subject to make my mind up .

But 53MP will need a fast computer and I think most would have to upgrade so extra cost there too .

Rob.

My question is: "If you are taking bird photographs with a 53MP body (ignoring sensor specifications at this point) and routinely crop your images, will there be significant observable benefit (or disadvantages) in going non-AA?"

Michael.

Given good enough lenses than I am sure that high MP cameras will show advantages when cropping. However Will they be able to get the shot in the first place? Given current technology, higher MP cameras are going to loose out on speed and ISO - probably why the Nikon D4s and Canon 1DX have modestly populated sensors. When they (Canon?) can produce a high MP camera that gives clean 6400/8000 ISO + a decent burst depth at a reasonable frame rate then they will be getting interesting - however I think we may have to wait a generation or two!
For the landscape/portrait guys and girls we are virtually there already - for us Birders we will have to wait a while!

Sorry I don't get your point. Are you referring to the 5fps and ISO range?
If so then 5fps is hardly sprightly even by Canon FD standards (10fps or even more)!
As to the ISO range, my 1DX goes to 204800 - so what? You can't get a worthwhile image at that sort of ISO. The maximum clean/useable ISO is about 4 stops beyond what my camera will actually do (others use higher ISO than I do). On that logic this rumored camera should be good for around 400 ISO - maybe 640 - that's a fat lot of use for wildlife photographers, though probably great for studio work.
If I have interpreted your post incorrectly then please let me know.

johnf3f, The title of the topic is "New Canon megapixel camera - Anti-Aliasing (AA) or not?"

Both refers to Canon making two cameras the 5DS (with AA filter) and the 5DSR (low pass filter removed). The link has the details of both cameras. HTH.

johnf3f, The title of the topic is "New Canon megapixel camera - Anti-Aliasing (AA) or not?"

Both refers to Canon making two cameras the 5DS (with AA filter) and the 5DSR (low pass filter removed). The link has the details of both cameras. HTH.

Ah - got it! I thought you were referring to the specifications. My bad.

It will be interesting to see what Canon do in the MegaPixie race, but one thing is certain - I won't be buying one for a (camera) generation or two (three?)!

I read somewhere that at least one of these two Cams may have built-in cropping (1.4x and 2x).

Canon press release HERE. Still gives 19MP when using the 1.6 crop factor so could be a handy Cam for both landscape and wildlife stuff -5fps is a bit limiting though. Not sure how the high ISO noise levels are going to stack up with 50mp crammed on the sensor! . Prices I have seen are cheaper than I expected at around £2600 with the 5DS R (no low-pass filter) costing around £150 more than the 5DS

Last edited:
So. Some good points (50MP, good AF, ability to over.under expose in auto iso) with some limitations (iso 8000 max, 4-5 fps). Lots of talk about this camera being ideal for studio and landscape work, but no real mention of its suitability for bird/nature photography. However, it looks similar in specification and price to a Nikon 810 which i know many birders use. So woudl there be tangible benefits in using the 5Ds R with long 400+ L lenses compared to the 7DII, 1DIV or 1Dx?

Michael.

Like Mike says, no mention of suitability for wildlife stuff but the AF area modes look to be the same as the latest Cams like the 7D2.

Im sure they will be great for birding too ,as long as a camera has decent spec it can be used for anything a 1DX / 7dmkII can be used in a studio no problem there at all.

Rob.

This is one to sit on the fence for a while I imagine. The ISO performance is probably key.
What I like about the crop bodies is that the AF points cover a wider proportion of the screen so composing the picture is easier when you can toggle the AF point rather than move the camera and lens. I seem to remember someone commenting that when they changed from FX to 1.5crop on the Nikon, everything on the screen was within the focus area so what you see is what you got, Brilliant for BIF.
On balance this is probably a better buy than the 7D11 although more expensive. I'd swop my 5D3 for one !

Canon press release HERE. Still gives 19MP when using the 1.6 crop factor so could be a handy Cam for both landscape and wildlife stuff -5fps is a bit limiting though. Not sure how the high ISO noise levels are going to stack up with 50mp crammed on the sensor! . Prices I have seen are cheaper than I expected at around £2600 with the 5DS R (no low-pass filter) costing around £150 more than the 5DS

The ISO range is identical to the 7d2 / 70D, but the pixel density is less than both those (19 vs 20.2 at the same area) Maybe it has slight improvements in that regard, but I would expect similar noise performance to the 7D2, given the relatively close release rate and very similar pixel size. But hey, that is a big assumption, it is a near idea regardless. Landscape / Macro could have a lot of fun with that I think, I'm digging the 10FPS otherwise.

The ISO range is identical to the 7d2 / 70D, but the pixel density is less than both those (19 vs 20.2 at the same area) Maybe it has slight improvements in that regard, but I would expect similar noise performance to the 7D2, given the relatively close release rate and very similar pixel size. But hey, that is a big assumption, it is a near idea regardless. Landscape / Macro could have a lot of fun with that I think, I'm digging the 10FPS otherwise.
It remains to be seen what the high ISO noise levels are as we are dealing with a full frame sensor and we are in unknown territory with 50mp - I know that if I crop my FF cam (5D3) to the same FOV as a 1.6 cropper it is still a lot cleaner. The actual ISO range is fairly insignificant to me, If it is clean up to ISO 3200 in crop mode then that would do me fine as I rarely bother to shoot at higher than that (even with the 5D3). The whole point to considering a Camera like this for me is to use it as both a FF landscape/still image Camera and a crop Camera for reach limited situations and occasional wildlife. If it worked out OK I could sell my 5d3 - it may be a better option than using both a 5D3 and a 7d2. I could never give up a FF that's for sure. 5fps again would be fine for me as I do not do much bird snapping these days.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back