• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves with Sibe Stonechat lads. As far as I'm aware it has only been recommended for elevation to full species status. It's almost certainly a formality but won't be countable until the BOU announce it in the next edition of Ibis.

G

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves with Sibe Stonechat lads. As far as I'm aware it has only been recommended for elevation to full species status. It's almost certainly a formality but won't be countable until the BOU announce it in the next edition of Ibis.

G

To be fair Garry whilst you are right, the BOU have never rejected a taxonomic committee recommendation so its a pretty safe bet - especially as Martin Collinson is chairman and on the Taxonomic sub-committee. Surely academic suicide to write a paper and then reject the papers suggestions...

Last edited:
I think, strictly speaking, the BOU will report in January 2012. Should be interesting.

Not Yorkshire but an interesting seawatch reported

Pembrokes 6.Long-tailed Skuas (all juvs) past Strumble Head 7.30am-3.30pm +51.Pom Skuas Grey Phal (+52.Arctic Skuas 41.Bonxies ad.Med Gull 7.Arctic Terns Black Tern Great Northern Diver Pale-bellied Brent Goose 18.Risso's Dolphins)

Last edited:
To be fair Garry whilst you are right, the BOU have never rejected a taxonomic committee recommendation so its a pretty safe bet - especially as Martin Collinson is chairman and on the Taxonomic sub-committee. Surely academic suicide to write a paper and then reject the papers suggestions...

I did say it was a formality but rest assured it's not countable in the county until it's published as adopted.

G

Nice one Keith. Reminds me of living in Conder Green (on the dark side). By and nearly in the River Lune/ Morecambe Bay.

Should I start a bed list?

Now I'll admit to being a bit forgetful myself, but this is in a different league. Just come up on Birdguides;

Lost Camera at Spurn Nikon D80 and 500mm lens left in Canal Scrape hide at c.15:00. If found please phone 07900 88 5055. Thank you

Thought I'd spread awareness and if you are reading I hope you get it back!

Anyone going for the GND may want to know there was a female Scaup on Scammonden today as well.

Reminds me of several decades back, friend of mine from the Cam club left his Hasselblad in a cafe in Newquay............didn't realise 'til next day..!
Luckily it was safe.....
Joe

Totally nothing to do with birding but it might help Spurnbirds following their tweet earlier today.
The Lancaster was part of the WW2 Memorial Flight which did a fly-past over York today to honour the wartime French aircrew from Elvington. I saw the Lancaster as it turned over Pontefract to begin it's run in to York, amazing sight!

Yorkshire Dips

Have I the most impressive dip list in Yorkshire - can anyone top these 16?

Storm Petrel
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Franklin's Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
Pechora Pipit
Nightingale
Cetti’s Warbler
Savi’s Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Serin
Pine Grosbeak
White-throated Sparrow
Pine Bunting
Amur Falcon

:flyaway:

If I'd connected with these I'd be joint 17th on the YB rankings. Some really painful memories in that list. At least some of them will fall - hopefully soon, even if some never will.

Have I the most impressive dip list in Yorkshire - can anyone top these 16?

Storm Petrel
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Franklin's Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
Pechora Pipit
Nightingale
Cetti’s Warbler
Savi’s Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Serin
Pine Grosbeak
White-throated Sparrow
Pine Bunting
Amur Falcon

:flyaway:

If I'd connected with these I'd be joint 17th on the YB rankings. Some really painful memories in that list. At least some of them will fall - hopefully soon, even if some never will.

Just to grip you off Lawts I've seen 14 of those guess which 2 I need?

G

Cetti’s Warbler

They must be resident, someplace in yorkshire?? or do they just skip `the magic kingdom` and arrive at coastal spots in northumb? (breeding in teeside as well)

I saw/found the Ferruginous Duck late afternoon yday. It's an adult and given how scarce they are it could well be the bird which was present in the winter of 2009/10. I think it was seen at Anglers last autumn as well?

Anyhow its on the old quarry lake at Calder Wetlands with a few Pochard.

Lawts I still need a few of those and add Sandhill Crane to the list. Garry I think you still need Amur Falcon don't you?:-O

the LDV has cettis....just outside the borders today, but some decent Rough Legged Buzzard action at Worlaby.. hunting, perching at good range plus decent views of a pair of Hen Harrier... oddly no owls???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back