• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

found a chick- help? (1 Viewer)

whitemoon

It's a sparrow bird. not too young, has adult-like plumage and yellow beak like a chick. it can fly just a bit.
It was found in the middle of the road, so we don't know where's the nest.

looks like I'll have to care for it. but first, I can use some info:

what do sparrows eat?
If I force-open the beak a few times, will it learn to open its mouth when I come with food?
I'm worried it'll die of stress, what's a good way to make it feel secure?
one last thing- I heard sparrows can't live in a cage too long. is a box better, or must it be left free?

I actually read that one, soon after posting this topic.
It's the first time I hear about fledglings naturally being on the ground.
I guess I can put the chick in a safe area near the road, and hope its parents will find it..
it seems risky but I can't even feed it, so it's probably best.

I actually read that one, soon after posting this topic.
It's the first time I hear about fledglings naturally being on the ground.
I guess I can put the chick in a safe area near the road, and hope its parents will find it..
it seems risky but I can't even feed it, so it's probably best.

Whitemoon, this sounds like the prudent thing to do!

Good Birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back