• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laser Pens (1 Viewer)

NAB

Is it true that the RSPB use laser pens to scare Grey Herons from Tern colonies? I believe ornamental fish keepers also use them to scare Herons from ponds, as do anglers to scare waterfowl from their baited areas to prevent accidental hooking of birds?

So is there use acceptable under the above scenarios, and can anyone shed any light on whether this has been discussed/researched previously?

Neil

PS - I'm already expecting 'how would you like one pointed in your eye!'

I'm not sure if RSPB do it, but it certainly happens at some tern colonies. Apparently it is pretty effective.

To me it's totally acceptable, as nothing comes to any harm. Tern colonies are under a lot of pressure from other predators such as gulls, peregrines, rats etc, so eliminating the heron problem effectively and with a minimum of disturbance to anything is ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back