• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk encounter (1 Viewer)

Metermaid

I let my Staffie out for her morning wee and watched her chase around the garden barking - she likes to make sure there are none of those pesky birds about eating Mummy's food !! - anyway two minutes later I looked out again and there on the fence was a Sparrowhawk - watching the dog (who hadn't noticed it) S'hawk was about 2 feet above her head ! - I watched in amazement for a few seconds before it flew off - it didn't seem at all bothered by the dog ! just went in it's own good time.

WOW!!! That is SOME encounter! Just as well it was a dog and not a kitten or rabbit LOL Though I doubt the hawk would have been tempted!
It's unusual to get that good a view as all the sparrowhawks I have encountered have soon scarpered as soon as they realise you have seen them!

GILL

...just been thinking about the sighting again (only had one other in the garden) - the hawk looked pretty fed up in the snow - maybe even a llittle hunched so maybe it's not doing so well :(

Probbly just frozen like the rest of us LOL Neil refused to get out of bed until I had the fire lit in the living room and roaring away!!! Such a wimp LOL I try to explain that he'd soon warm up if he moved around (ie made breakfast!) but he wasn't having any of it!!!

GILL

had a very close encounter with a Sparrowhawk at work a few years ago. Cabbages are grown under nets to keep the Pigeons off them but they still seemed to find a way to get under them.

0ne morning I saw something flapping under the nets and went over to release what I thought was a Pigeon, bit of a shock when a male Sparrowhawk shot out as I got close.

under the net was a neatly plucked "oven ready" Robin. What surprised me was the Sparrowhawk didn't go far, was sat in a nearby Cherry tree, so I stuck the Robin on a wooden post holding the corner of the net up and backed off. Didn't take long for it to come back, picked up the Robin and flew off.

did feal a bit guilty when I spooked it that I might have deprived it/young of a meal so was glad it came back.

one of many occasions when I wish I had a camera with me ;)

i have had many close encounters with sparrowhawks, they like to surprise you, thats for sure!. they have came close to hitting the cars on main roads while chasing prey, once had one take a chaffinch out of a bush that i was busy watching at the time!, last sunday watched one preening it's feathers in a tree, nothing strange there - but i counted at least 3 wood pidgeons in the same tree keeping a close eye on the hawk!.

The not so professional photographer!

Today for the first time in two and a half years living here, I got a visit from a Sparrowhawk. It even stayed perched in our apple tree while I fetched the camera and fired off half a dozen pics! Great, until I looked at the LCD display which said "no memory card in camera". &^%$£"!!!!

Still always next time :C

Des.

Doug.M said:
Great bird the sparrowhawk. I get one in my garden after the birds at the feeder. Yet to see it be successful!!!
Same here .
Last summer it did take a collared dove out, right above us -bit of a shock.
Thats the only catch I have seen.

I was at work when a sparrowhawk visited our garden and decided to eat a col. dove. Apparently was a huge shock and upset my mum who was casually watching the birds from the window!

Oh Des....ahhh ! was reading your thread thinking....where are the pics.....you must have been pretty mad ! - I have stopped running for the camera these days - I just stay and watch whatever it is - 'cus it's always gone by the time I get back !!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back