• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CFAST vs. CF in a 1DX mk2 (1 Viewer)

cgilbert

England
Hi all,

I've just got a 1DX2 and need to get some more cards (as they fill up so quickly now) but am trying to understand the benefits of CFAST over CF.

Bear in mind I don't do video and the CF cards I'm using give me 50+ shots in the buffer (more than enough really), and that I can use these in my 7D2 when needs must.

Currently Lexar 64gb CFAST are £160 and CF 1066x £60, so quite significant difference.

So other than maybe future proofing, I'm struglling to see why I would not get more CF's?

Any thoughts would be useful from others using the same combination of bodies.

Regards, Cliff.

Hi Cliff

Your summary matches my understanding of this too. If you're not interested in video and the buffer with a CF card is good enough for you, then there's no need to bother with CFast now. As you say future cameras may switch to dual CFast slots, but by that stage the price of CFast cards will hopefully have come down anyway so you shouldn't lose out significantly if you opt to buy another CF or two for now then move to CFast in future if needs must!

Cheers

The biggest advantage is indeed for video and although you say you don't do video you should give it a try. With the touch screen and autofocus it produces stunning results, far, far better than the 1DX and very easy to use.
Like you I did think that at £160 for a 64gb it was outrageous but I bought just the one. I use it all the time because it downloads a lot faster too and it's better constructed, I regularly have to replace the CF card reader because of a bent pin, not likely to have similar problems with CFast.
Interesting that Nikon went in a different direction with XQD and as neither companies have high demand cameras using either card it might be a while before they come down in price if indeed they ever do. Thankfully, and unlike one reviewer that rue'd the decision not to change both, only one slot is CFast. Nikon however offer a choice of 2xCF or 2x XQD in the D5, or 1x SD and 1x XQD in the D500. Canon's latest 5D1V offers only CF and SD slots as of old.I wonder why?
If they are not economically viable one system might fall by the wayside as did Sony's Betamax.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back