• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not so brief encounter (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

A couple of days ago I posted about a young Sparrowhawk feeding in the garden, today it's about the adult male.

First I have to ask you to look at the photo of our garden, so that you'll understand the rest. You'll see the big Holly on the extreme right and just to the left of that is an Apple tree, hidden by the arch. You'll also note that there are 2 sections of grass (not 'lawns' in our garden, just grass). This was taken in April so the growth is different now, the main thing being that the arch is now covered by a Clematis, but it shows the layout. The final thing to know is that twice a day I throw peanuts and maize onto the further grass, and maize onto the nearer.

I went to the window this morning, about 09.00 and, as usual, a small flock of Doves went up off the nearer grass, so I was completely astonished to then see the back view of a Male Spawk sitting in the Apple Tree; I couldn't see any other birds in the garden, but that wasn't surprising. The light was much too bad (it was dull and raining) to 'get' the Spawk but here is a shot from earlier in the year which shows more or less what I could see (not the moult plumage now)

Suddenly the Spawk launched itself going left and down and up from behind the little shrub to the right of the bird-table came a Jay, with the Spawk close behind, the Jay swearing at the top of it's voice (nothing swears better than a startled Jay). They weaved around the arch and went right round the Holly and disappeared. A few seconds later the Spawk came back and landed on the top of the bird-table. So far...... but then who comes back but the Jay! Lands on the grass and starts looking for peanuts; Spawk watches (in astonishment?), then dives at it and off they go again, repeat performance! This time the Jay was first back, lands and mooches around until the Spawk re-appears past the Holly, off they go again! You guessed didn't you, here comes the Spawk again, this time onto the arch, mostly hidden by the Clematis; stands and waits and right on cue here come Charlie (a right Charlie), lands, walks, takes off as the Spawk dives at it (4th time),swears and dodges and off they go around the Holly yet again. End of story. Not quite. I get the kettle on and find the teapot and 3 minutes later here comes the Jay again! No Spawk this time and a few minutes later off it went with a beakful of peanuts. The photo was taken on another day

Now we don't usually get Jays much in the garden but in the last couple of weeks they've discovered the peanuts and one of them has been getting much less shy than usual; but this was riciculous! Granted that a Jay is at the top end of a Male Spawks prey range, but this one has taken C Doves in the past (granted usually moribund ones) and we do also have a female visiting and if it tries the same thing there it's in for a nasty shock.

Apologies for the length of this but I've never seen behaviour anything like this before and I thought (hoped) it might interest others.

Cheers, Bill.

Attachments

• DS garden April 05 1.jpg
    DS garden April 05 1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DS spawk jm moult 1.jpg
    DS spawk jm moult 1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DS jay in garden with peanut 0211 2.jpg
    DS jay in garden with peanut 0211 2.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 50
Wow Bill what a merry go round! :-O

Don't apologise for your message being to long it was a great read. I really enjoyed it and I wish I could have been there to see this. Your garden looks great too and you have so many lovely trees.

Birds display some fascinating behaviour at times and that must be one reason of many why I find them so interesting.

I had the female sparrowhawk visiting again today just as I was watching the birds feeding. Suddenly everything dived into cover including the squirrel and the sparrowhawk crashed into the conifers talons first after a starling. She didn't get anything and sat for a while on top of the fence in the rain. I felt right sorry for her. She's not very lucky in my garden which tell me I have the feeders just the right distance away for the birds to dive into cover at the sight of danger.

Please keep your bird tales coming as I really enjoy reading them.

Happy birdies, Liebchen

Fascinating tale Bill, cant say I've heard or seen anything like that before.

I must say that I love your garden, you must get hours of pleasure sitting in it watching the birds. I think if I was a bird I would definitely have to visit.

Angelface said:
Fascinating tale Bill, cant say I've heard or seen anything like that before.

I must say that I love your garden, you must get hours of pleasure sitting in it watching the birds. I think if I was a bird I would definitely have to visit.

I quie agree, whoever does the gardening must be really greenfingered. How do you stop the spilt seed and residue spoiling the grass. I get huge dead areas underneath the feeders even the sunflower ones.

Bride

That made me smile Bill, birds can be so entertaining!

Although you posted photo's of your garden to illustrate your story, I must say that it is lovely. I enjoy gardening too but if the birds make a mess I don't mind, the sunflower seeds they scatter always make better plants than those sown by me.

Hi Bill,

I had a good laugh at your story, you must be quite dizzy by now.

I've never seen a jay acting like that and we get them visiting regularly, especially to teach their young to feed from the feeders, then we get 5 or 6, plus the parents!

They always seem quite shy to me, except for the youngsters, who even squeeze through the cage placed to protect the birds from predators as they feed.

Beautiful garden by the way. We've tried to grow holly loads of times, but haven't been successful yet, but we keep trying.

B :) Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back