• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why isn't White-headed Duck on the British List? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Why isn’t White-headed Duck on the British list? With a reported 3 (or might that be five?) White-headed Ducks reported in the UK this September (Birding World Vol 16 No9) I've again been wondering why this species hasn’t been added to the British list.

The case for:-
1- Described as being “dispersive” in west Mediterranean and “mainly migratory” in east Mediterranean and Asia - so the little fellas are clearly capable of getting here.
2- The population in Spain has increased – as have extra-limital records in northern Europe.
3- Despite some doubts about the origins of the Ruddy Duck in Spain, it seems very probable to me that the Ruddy Ducks seen in Spain originate from the growing UK population. Moreover it seems likely that such birds commute between the two countries. Ruddy Ducks would be an ideal ‘carrier species’ for White-headed Duck (cf European/American Wigeon). Given this scenario I would be surprised if some White-headed Ducks didn’t follow their randier cousins back to the UK!
4- White-headed Duck is still a relatively rare species in captivity.
5- Other species which are more frequent in captivity and have further to come have been added to the British list without too many qualms or reservations – why make a special case of White-headed Duck?
6- Other northern European countries (Holland? Germany?) which lack the ‘advantage’ of their own Ruddy Duck population!) accept the species onto their national list.
7- Finally, and most importantly, of course, I’ve seen a couple of the damn things in the UK!

The case against:-
1 – The nearest population has been topped up by introductions.
2 – It’s a European/Asian, not an American, duck!
……….. err, that’s about it as far as I can establish,

NB – if any folks want to turn this into a pro/anti cull debate, then please start a new thread!

John

Hi John,

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets reviewed after this year's records.

Maybe there'll also be a campaign to have them all shot so they don't contaminate the genetically pure UK Ruddy Duck population . . .

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back