• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (1 Viewer)

Found this old pic I took (sorry about poor quality etc), not sure on location tho, may have been from my days living in Devon...

Attachments

• Peregrine.jpg
    Peregrine.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 119
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go sometime.

Hi James,

Yes you are right, there is a public footpath down Boundary Lane which leads to Postwick Marshes. However, there was a big puddle just before the railway line.

You can also get to the same public footpath by going down Griffin Lane and following the sign to City Boats. At City Boats the road ends and you will see a metal gate in front of you which looks like it blocks the way. However, you can walk around the left hand side of gate and you immediately join the public footpath. Keep going ahead. However, If you look to your left you will see the steps which lead over the railway back to Boundary Lane.

I walked all the way along the river until I was nearly opposite the Bramerton pub to view the Plovers. The landscape initially looked empty. The plovers were distant and only visible in flight. So a telescope is advised and be prepared for a wait.

Cheers

Steve

Activity on our feeders seems to have rocketed in the past week or so and there's been an excellent selection this morning. Two species I know are around but I haven't seen on the feeders finally made it on there today in the shape of 2 Lesser Redpolls (on niger seed) and a Great Spotted Woodpecker (on lard in a half coconut). Chaffinch numbers have really increased from 3 to at least 10 this morning. Other species on the feeders this morning were Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Long tailed Tit, Coal Tit and Blue Tit. Below the feeders were Dunnock, Robin, Blackbird, Crow, Wood Pigeon and a Stock Dove, but no sign of the male Pheasant that often puts in an appearance.

Activity on our feeders seems to have rocketed in the past week or so and there's been an excellent selection this morning. Two species I know are around but I haven't seen on the feeders finally made it on there today in the shape of 2 Lesser Redpolls (on niger seed) and a Great Spotted Woodpecker (on lard in a half coconut).

Thanks for the responses regarding tree-perching Peregrines.

In my Norwich garden, I have been trying unsuccessfully to lure down some Lesser Redpoll onto the niger seed feeder for a while now.

However for the first time this winter, 2 siskins visited the sunflower heart feeder today. They were sharing the feeder with a female Brambling which has been putting in regular appearances since November. It was lovely to see these 2 colourful finches side by side.

I am still hoping for the Redpolls....

Cheers

Steve

Not quite Norwich I know (and apologise) but in the past week I have all of a sudden had 10+ Siskins and at least 1 lesser Redpoll on my garden feeders in Brundall feeding mainly on Sunflower hearts. the Redpoll is actually ringed so am hoping for a very good photo of the ring to track it (UEA a possibility??)
It seems strange that they have all of a sudden come down to the feeders for the first time as you have experienced too Steve. The odd thing is that they have been perching in my garden oak all winter but not had a sniff of the feeders, until now.
I'm guessing that the natural food sources are running low at this time of the year so they now need the supplementary food.

However for the first time this winter, 2 siskins visited the sunflower heart feeder today. They were sharing the feeder with a female Brambling which has been putting in regular appearances since November.

I had Siskin visit the feeders for the first time earlier in the week too! Sadly no Bramblings for me and that's a species I'm yet to get on my garden list for anywhere I've lived!

I spoke to soon about the Pheasant and discovered that my previous thought of a single male visiting the garden was wrong as 3 males turned up together!

10+ Siskin on the feeders must have been a lovely sight Ben!

The 3 cock pheasants must have been a real treat too ChrisBish! Unfortunately, I live in the middle of suburbia so don't think there is much chance of pheasants paying me a visit!

Great whirte egret was on West Earlham Marsh again this morning before flying off over towards Colney. Gadwall, wigeon and good numbers of teal were also on the marsh.

Attachments

• 2013 03 03 Great white egret_West Earlham Marsh_Norwich_NR0014.jpg
    2013 03 03 Great white egret_West Earlham Marsh_Norwich_NR0014.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 93
Not quite Norwich I know (and apologise) but in the past week I have all of a sudden had 10+ Siskins and at least 1 lesser Redpoll on my garden feeders in Brundall feeding mainly on Sunflower hearts. the Redpoll is actually ringed so am hoping for a very good photo of the ring to track it (UEA a possibility??)
It seems strange that they have all of a sudden come down to the feeders for the first time as you have experienced too Steve. The odd thing is that they have been perching in my garden oak all winter but not had a sniff of the feeders, until now.
I'm guessing that the natural food sources are running low at this time of the year so they now need the supplementary food.

I have loads in my garden. They seem to have replaced the bramblings while I was away. I have been getting 30+ in the trees around the garden in recent days and managed to ring 11 yesterday, mainly adults.

Just outside filling up the feeders about 20 minutes ago and heard a large group of whoopers heading West towards UEA. Which was a nice surprise...

Fifteen Waxwings this morning in Taverham (at Kingswood Ave/The Cains junction) at 0815. I looked a little later just after 9 but no sign. There are a few areas of berries around The Cains so hopefully the flock will return.

Around 30 Waxwings in North Norwich this afternoon, firstly on wires on Magdalen Road then they flew up into an Alder off Lawson Road (i.e. out the front of the Dyer's Arms and then behind it).

[Edit] I've also just found out that the cathedral Peregrines have laid the first egg of the year, a day earlier than the first egg was laid last year.

Last edited:
First broods of Egyptian Geese at Whitlingham today, one lot of 6 goslings and the other of at least 8 - they were huddled together in a big fluffy ball and then went and hid from the snow underneath one of the parents! Also a Mute Swan on a nest and a displaying pair of Great-crested Grebes.

Other than that, Water Rail, Bullfinch, 19 Pochard and 60+ Tufted Ducks. On the way home around 15 Waxwings flew over Riverside Road towards the Cathedral.

Attachments

• P1000345 (800x600).jpg
    P1000345 (800x600).jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 83
  • P1000320 (800x602).jpg
    P1000320 (800x602).jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 86
56+ Waxwings on the Reepham Rd near the old Car showground / Bottoms Up roundabout this morning (Norwich/Hellesden)

Caused me to almost be late for work as I had to stop the car to watch the flock!

Largest group I have found or seen for a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 84
56+ Waxwings on the Reepham Rd near the old Car showground / Bottoms Up roundabout this morning (Norwich/Hellesden)

Caused me to almost be late for work as I had to stop the car to watch the flock!

Damn I am trying to find some Waxwings for photos but there they are! o:D

Were they feeding on anything? or just up on the wires

Were they feeding on anything? or just up on the wires

No, not feeding as far as I could tell although when I got out of the car (the second time this year I have seen some along the Reepham Rd on way into work) the flock grew as some flew up from gardens near the Anglia kitchens? Showroom... So may have been feeding there.

The flock grew and so did the trilling, they all headed off SW.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back