• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (49 Viewers)

...we can't just assume that historic regular sites are still going to produce now.
Like you said they were present in good numbers in '07 (cruddy photo attached just to put your minds at rest ;)) - there seems to be a tendancy to make lazy identifications when something's 'always there'.

Can't say I agree with the critical mentality in general, but in this case we don't want a repeat of the Willow Tit problem of 'oh dear they appear to have suddenly disappeared' and it's too late to do anything about it.

Attachments

• Twite.jpg
    Twite.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 115
Sinicism

[QyoUOT -E=pomskua;1375671]...we can't just fassume that historic regular sites are still going to produce now.
Can't say I agree with the critical mentality in general, QUOTE]

I don't agree with having a critical/cynic approach to birding as a starting point either and try to treat each sighting on an individual basis. I also was slightly surprised by Connor's initial comment but the fact he justifed/ backed up his statement is the key for me.
I'm far more likely to be cynical of a report which isn't backed up by anything - an isolated report on the pager or a statement along the lines of 'it was a (for instance) Red-footed Falcon because it was a Red-footed Falcon and because it wasn't a Hobby'. I'm not likely to be cynical of people who have put in time and effort to justify their claims regardless of their 'level of expertise' - there have been some really good descriptions on here recently - illustrated by Black-throated Thrush - it means everything is out in the open and honest, in turn meaning that people can see that sightings are genuine, in turn meaning the posters on this thread are treated with more respect.

Descriptions or detailed accounts aren't in themselves easy, you are testing your own observation skills but are rewarding in that you can document exactly what you have seen.

Paul I have PMed you as I haven't heard back from the RSPB (after posting my volunteer application form) for 2 months...
Please reply ASAP, thanks!

I don't agree with having a critical/cynic approach to birding as a starting point either and try to treat each sighting on an individual basis. I also was slightly surprised by Connor's initial comment but the fact he justifed/ backed up his statement is the key for me.
I'm far more likely to be cynical of a report which isn't backed up by anything - an isolated report on the pager or a statement along the lines of 'it was a (for instance) Red-footed Falcon because it was a Red-footed Falcon and because it wasn't a Hobby'. I'm not likely to be cynical of people who have put in time and effort to justify their claims regardless of their 'level of expertise' - there have been some really good descriptions on here recently - illustrated by Black-throated Thrush - it means everything is out in the open and honest, in turn meaning that people can see that sightings are genuine, in turn meaning the posters on this thread are treated with more respect.

Descriptions or detailed accounts aren't in themselves easy, you are testing your own observation skills but are rewarding in that you can document exactly what you have seen.

Agreed. A guy at Welney who didn't look like an experienced birder (an indeed wasn't) told the wardens he'd seen a Great White Egret with the Whoopers, pointing to the picture in his book. They nodded, explained that it was exceptionally rare, and ... guess what they found in the WeBS count 2 days later :-O

Titchwell January 9th

Today's highlights

Woodcock - 2 in scrub near visitor centre
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh islands
Great crested grebe - 26 offshore
Red throated diver - 7 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Eider - 20 offshore
Black brant - adult feeding on saltmarsh
Snow bunting - 30 on beach
Peregrine - 1 roosting in dead trees

Paul

Saddlebow - Smew

Pager reports 2 Smew at Saddlebow on Great Ouse relief channel, along with a Slav Grebe and 2 Goosanders. Given Smew are not that easy in Norfolk... if I can escape from Hunstanton by the afternoon, it could be a tempting destination, or I'll be crossing fingers they're still around on Sunday.

Regards,
Irene

Can anyone tell me please if I can go to Felbrigg Hall (never been!!!!!!) early morning or do I have to wait for it to open, do you have to pay just to view the lake/hawfinches!!! ?????????

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Can anyone tell me please if I can go to Felbrigg Hall (never been!!!!!!) early morning or do I have to wait for it to open, do you have to pay just to view the lake/hawfinches!!!:

Hi Penny,

This page has the estate walks (which is the bit you need) as being open dawn to dusk http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-felbrigghallgardenandpark/

The donkey paddock mentioned on the pager messages is to the right of the hall, as you face it from the car park and has ..... umm, donkeys in it as a slight clue! The trees between there and the car park were where we had the Hawfinches but admittedly that was on Jan 1st.

For the lake, stand with your back to the hall and look south. You can take any of the paths leading south from the car park to reach the lake. I tend to follow the path leading towards the church over to the left, go through the gate and then go half right on another path towards a wall (the lake is hidden in a dip in the ground to the right of this wall). Sorry .... sounds very complicated but in practice, I'm sure lots of people will be heading this way and I 'think' there are maps in the car park of the layout of the estate.

I've also had Grey Wagtail at the lake and don't forget the Little Owl in the ivy covered tree which I apparently managed to walk right past last time! Not sure which ivy covered tree, mind you...

Good luck
Irene

Pager reports 2 Smew at Saddlebow on Great Ouse relief channel, along with a Slav Grebe and 2 Goosanders. Given Smew are not that easy in Norfolk... if I can escape from Hunstanton by the afternoon, it could be a tempting destination, or I'll be crossing fingers they're still around on Sunday.

Regards,
Irene

Welcome to BF and the Norfolk thread Irene:t: - might have to go and see these two either tomorrow or Sunday morning!

Hi Penny,

This page has the estate walks (which is the bit you need) as being open dawn to dusk http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-felbrigghallgardenandpark/

The donkey paddock mentioned on the pager messages is to the right of the hall, as you face it from the car park and has ..... umm, donkeys in it as a slight clue! The trees between there and the car park were where we had the Hawfinches but admittedly that was on Jan 1st.

For the lake, stand with your back to the hall and look south. You can take any of the paths leading south from the car park to reach the lake. I tend to follow the path leading towards the church over to the left, go through the gate and then go half right on another path towards a wall (the lake is hidden in a dip in the ground to the right of this wall). Sorry .... sounds very complicated but in practice, I'm sure lots of people will be heading this way and I 'think' there are maps in the car park of the layout of the estate.

I've also had Grey Wagtail at the lake and don't forget the Little Owl in the ivy covered tree which I apparently managed to walk right past last time! Not sure which ivy covered tree, mind you...

Good luck
Irene

Thank you Irene, VERY much:t::t::t:

Titchwell sightings 10th Jan

Highlights today include;
2 Whooper swans on thornham grazing pool (pool west of path)
1 water pipit showing well from Parrinder Hide
4 Siskin on feeders and alders
1 Brambling around feeders (am)
1 lesser redpoll in alders (am)
2 waxwings over carpark (am)
20 Snow bunting on beach
1 Great Northern diver in off the sea and headed inland over lagoons, not seen to return (!)
At least 4 water rails showing by the path due to icy conditions

Cheers,

Ben

good days birding. ended up at UEA campus for a wander. 2 male goosander on the river- flew over the broad but still mainly frozen so landed in the river. Then saw 4 water rail on a small pool under some trees, and heard them just about everywhere along the river. estimate that 10-15 are behind the broad and along cringleford marsh. I saw 6 heard 4 more squabbling (possible 8 or so there) and then saw 2 more singles on the way to cringleford. 1 snipe flushed from there as well as someones dog ran through the sedge bed....

Plenty of siskin -flock up to about 60 and brambling along with redwing and fieldfare along colney lane and by the feeders. also a male sparrowhawk taking a goldfinch from the feeders- they are feeders for everything

Also saw a good number of long tailed tit flocks of note was one flock with every one of the 46 long tailed tit in the flock was sporting a ring on one leg or the other. Great to see the monitoring is going well. Plenty of blackbird with rings on as well.

Could anyone offer me the directions to the reported 37 Waxwings east of Norwich, might be passing through that way over the weekend and wouldn't mind a look at em!

Cheers

Matt

light

No, sorry Connor thats a useless explanation and your still bang out of order :-O:-O

I think what you've highlighted is similar to the Willow Tit situation, Twite are becoming very scarce in the county so any records need to be described and documented thoroughly moreso than when they were regular, last year appeared to be a slight uplift in numbers but as you say this year we seem to be back down to worryingly low no's, we can't just assume that historic regular sites are still going to produce now. It is a concern that the flock at Thornham could be a complete distortion.

when i recover from my Laryngitis :-C:-C, i'll check the flock that is being reported in the Morston/Stiffkey area although, if i do see them i'll write a description of them on here as i now think its becoming increasingly important,
also hoping to get along to Holme soon :t:

If Morston/Stiffkey doesn't produce, had five twite today on the undercliff between Sidestrand and Trimingham. Originally identified in flight and then cracking views through my new scope............and one of them had an orange ring......... Also some evidence of cold weather movement with a sprinkling of lapwings in/off plus five snipe and a green sand west along the cliffs. Also jammed in on six waxwings feeding on rosehips next to the coast road at Overstrand but still no sign of the great bustard invasion...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back