• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove with broken wing (1 Viewer)

BlueRoller22

There is a poor little dove that banged into our balcony window. He is able to walk around around but he can't get any leverage when he attempts to fly. We live in Oman and there are no vets around who deal with common birds. Is there any point in me trying to set the wing? Anyone know how to do this?
Many thanks!

Hi BlueRoller22,

Welcome to BirdForum from all the staff here.

I am afraid I help with your problem as in the UK there are organisations that might help or give advice. Maybe a BirdForum member will have some ideas for you.

You seem to have posted this thread twice, maybe by mistake. I will remove one.

BlueRoller22 said:
There is a poor little dove that banged into our balcony window. He is able to walk around around but he can't get any leverage when he attempts to fly. We live in Oman and there are no vets around who deal with common birds. Is there any point in me trying to set the wing? Anyone know how to do this?
Many thanks!

Hi BlueRoller22,

Not sure if I'm going to be much help but for what it's worth, here goes.
Firstly, just look at the bird and decide if the damaged wing is at a peculiar angle compared with the other one. If it is trailing on the ground, then it's perhaps broken. If the tip of the wing sticks up in the air, it could be a dislocation. However, if the damaged wing is being held up in much the same way as the 'good' one, then the situation could be brighter!

If the dove's wing is obviously broken, say to the point where there is an area of blood with bone sticking out, then regrettably there is little that anyone, even an experienced vet, can do. Under these circumstances, it is probably kinder to euthanase the bird as it will never be able to fly again, because even if the wound heals cleanly, which could be a problem in your hot climate, the bones are not likely to 'knit' together properly.

Assuming there isn't an obvious break, then hold the bird in one hand with its head facing towards you and gently run your thumb and index finger over the leading edge of the damaged wing. You will be able to feel the bone between them and should be able to locate a break if there is one. In that case, both wings need to be immobilised in the folded position against the bird's body with a bandage, or splinted in some other way such as in a sock with a hole cut in the toe for the bird's head to stick out of. Even then, there is one wing bone, the Humerus, which is filled with air rather than marrow and therefore cannot repair itself. So despite your best efforts nothing is certain.

If the wing is dislocated at the shoulder and sticking up, you could try gently manipulating it back into its correct position. You will feel it 'click' into place when it does, although sometimes the damage is such that it 'flips' out again the second you let go. In that case, you could try bandaging as above for several days but this is not guaranteed to work either and could result in a dove that will sadly never be able to fly again.

The 'preferred' damage (if there is such a thing!) is going to be an amount of bruising and swelling caused by the impact. This can be in the form of a large lump, which may take several weeks to disperse, during which time the bird must be contained and fed and watered. Initially a cardboard box which can be darkened by covering it with a towel to keep the bird calm will be suitable. I'm not sure what the doves in Oman feed on but usually they require hard grain, such as wheat, barley etc., and a supply of fresh grit to enable the gizzard to function properly. A constant supply of clean water in a pot at least an inch deep is also required. The good news here is that the dove stands a much better chance of recovering and returning to the wild - but despite all your best efforts nothing is guaranteed I'm afraid.

Good luck!

Anthony

Hi BlueRoller22,

Another "Welcome to Birdforum!" here.

I hope it is Anthony's "preferred" damage.

Anthony - good advice - thanks!

Good Luck!

Andy.

Hi,So sorry to hear about that unfortunate accident,hopefully it will mend.In most places there are wildlife care and rehabilation organizations that can help with wild birds,have you tried to locate any such places yet?
Good luck!
Beth

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back