• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Having a family holiday down Norfolk the w/c 1st july. Will be staying in Tunstead near Wroxham. Does anyone know any pubs that do decent meals in the area and allow kids? Also any information on local bird sites that aren't published in the books would be a great help.
Thanks

so whats the scene at stubb mill this time of year?

if the area is grazed by cattle during the summer the cranes should be easier to see shouldn't they?

probably a few marsh harriers around,are the red footed falcons an annual event here?,and did that harris hawk decide to go home for tea after all.

don't really hear much about this site during the summer,possibly due to
being more of a winter raptor spot.

matt

curiously i was just thinking about Stubb mill this afternoon as i haven't been down the lane for a couple of weeks now. maybe i'll try over the next couple of days

Usually 2 or 3 harriers about the general Horsey / Hickling area though

as for the Cranes i suppose it depends how well they are hiding Matt ;)

... i know last year there were 2 cranes regularly frequenting the fields by the Horsey Warren track over by the dunes so they were dead-easy to see but i aren't sure about this year as i can't get my bike down there, and can't be bothered walking, now they've put a gate up - Something to do with it being a sensitive area (but i see its still ok for the farmer to drive his tractor over it & dog walkers to let their filthy animals c*ap on it)

Forced myself into a little bit of effort yesterday and left home early

Until yesterday I never would have thought birds would sing in the fog but proved that idea totally wrong on the way up Horsey Rd as there were loads of Skylarks singing away, and one or two Chiffchaffs, Yellowhammers and Reed Warblers in what was really quite thick mist with visibility down to about 4 or 5 metres at times. Actually the combination of the dawning half-light & the swirling mist was quite eerie at times but it was nice to see whats about before anything gets chance to spoil it all

got to Stubb Mill about 5.30 and waited around not seeing much at all except a couple of Blackcaps and hearing a few singing Willow Warblers, til the fog lifted about 6.30, and suddenly there was loads to look at

c6 Marsh Harriers
2 Barn Owls, 1 caught a mouse or something
Lapwings
3 Redshank
1 Kestrel
1 Green Woodpecker
2 GS woodpeckers
svl Whitethroats
c20 Swifts
c10 Longtailed Tits
4 Blackcaps
2 Reed Warblers
2 Common Crane over, heading north

But there weren't many people there...

It's the OBC run today on the North Norfolk Coastal Path

I am running about 3 pm from Blakeney towards Salthouse... anyone feel free to join at either Blakeney Quay Car Park 3 pm or in Dun Cow, Salthouse after for the football four-ish

Had a good day today

Bloody hot though and not a day for running although the scenery was lovely; did 8 miles in the blazing heat, then a few pints in the Dun Cow. Plenty of characters around including Mr Millington and Mr Johns. Disappointing game and the lager and dehydration has given me a wicked headache.

A big up to Stuart Reeves who did his best to participate but was beaten by a hectic schedule. Next year Stu.

Tim Allwood said:
Had a good day today

Bloody hot though and not a day for running although the scenery was lovely; did 8 miles in the blazing heat, then a few pints in the Dun Cow. Plenty of characters around including Mr Millington and Mr Johns. Disappointing game and the lager and dehydration has given me a wicked headache.

A big up to Stuart Reeves who did his best to participate but was beaten by a hectic schedule. Next year Stu.

Glad to hear it was a good day Tim. Next year indeed...

Stuart

A quick mention for some more non-bird news in Norfolk - the excellent numbers of Silver-studded Blues on the wing at Buxton Heath, north of Norwich. Up to 500+ have been reported in the last week or so.

Spent ages there yesterday, trying to find the right area and habitat for them, so thought some basic directions and a grid ref might help for anyone else going looking... Park in the carpark on the south side of the heath at approx TG171214, and walk north for about 1km. The area favoured is the north side of the main clearing - we saw plenty in the north west corner, approx TG171221.

Hope this helps...

the buxton heath wildlife group had a great website,with monthly downloadable news letters including sightings etc.

can't seem to find it anywhere now though..will rummage!

matt

Glad you found the silver-studs OK, Tim - here's another tip off for this afternoon!

Loads of Dark Green Fritillaries in the dunes at Horsey between Horsey Corner (where the carpark was packed, incidentally) and the end of the Nelson Head track.

You'll struggle to get any sort of photo of these, though - only saw one or two settle, and then only for a matter of seconds.

cheers dave, hope those hold out til thursday

Saw a rather late Swallowtail early this evening at Wheatfen, may have been two but the other was so brief & far away it could have been something else, PAinted Lady maybe. Also 1 Hobby & a very nice male Marsh Harrier

8 miles in that sun ...thats good going :clap: ... (gis a shout a little earlier next year tim ...)

Last edited:
Karl J said:
8 miles in that sun ...thats good going :clap: ... (gis a shout a little earlier next year tim ...)

Hey Karl

bit sore today

going to try for the DG Frits tomorrow aftr work all being well. Will post details on here re location if i see them.

Tim

Lots of Dark Green Fritillaries at Horsey this evening including several right by Horsey Gap car park. Several Small Heaths, couple of Graylings too a mong the commoner stuff etc.

cheers David

Flowers included some lovely Seaside Centauries, 200m south of the car park in the dunes.

Tim

matt green said:
the buxton heath wildlife group had a great website,with monthly downloadable news letters including sightings etc.

can't seem to find it anywhere now though..will rummage!

matt

found this http://buxtonheath.8bit.co.uk/buxtonheath.html but it hasn't been updated for a while.

I popped in last Saturday and got this shot:
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/harasseddad/ssblue.jpg

Saw several Keeled Skimmers but none settled for a photo. Also a number of common spotted orchids. My first visit, but not my last I think.

had a walk around wheatfen today,very hot and humid .saw white admirals, warden says he saw 5 and they are just starting to emerge.several cettis singing but couldnt see them

cheers keith i droped into Wheatfen quick the other evening , actually i thought it was too soon for White admirals but obviously not. the warden there, david nobbs, is one of the friendliest most helpful people you could ever hope to meet

coin-tossing time this friday then ... buxton or wheatfen ... hmmm (with horsey on the way back)

http://www.wheatfen.org/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back