• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FRUIT as food for wild birds (1 Viewer)

wroughtiron

Patriotic User
I started this thread for people to share your experience with feeding fruit. If you have ever fed Apple halves, Orange halves, Grapes, or any other type of fruit, please share with use what birds ate it and how you put it out (on the ground, hanging from a limb, etc)

Attachments

• fruitfeeder1.jpg
    fruitfeeder1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 242
  • fruitfeeder2.jpg
    fruitfeeder2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 192
  • grapes2.jpg
    grapes2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 228
  • oranges1.jpg
    oranges1.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Fruit eaten by birds in my garden, Apples chopped small eaten by Thrush family, banana eaten by starlings and thrush family, grapes eaten by robin thrush family and starlings, dried fruit all previous mentioned plus nuthatch and tit family. pears much loved by thrushes. All chopped up and placed on tables rather than on the ground, I never see all the feeders but those I can say have eaten what I have mentioned, but I also get chaffinches and bullfinches but if they eat that I haven't actually witnessed it.

Hi,
Yeah, I sometimes halve an apple and stick them on branches of shrubs to attract Blackcaps, it works well coz the apples last longer than if they were on the ground.
Grape Lovers fly over sometimes. 3:)

At the moment I don't need to put out any fruit, there's a huge apple tree next door on an empty plot that has a very good crop indeed. Previously I used to put out apples cut in half, blackbirds ate them, so did the blackcap. I tried an overripe advocado once, but they all turned they noses (bills?) up at it, so I never bothered again.

We have an orchard and make sure we put out no apples as we want to avoid them thinking of pecking at the apples while they were on the trees as the Starlings did. So, as an avoidance tactic we feed a large amount of nut/sunflower seed based mix all over and they left our apples alone giving us lots of delicious apple pies!

I forgot to say that my blackcurrants and gooseberries don't stand a chance for me to get the blackbirds and thrushes have the lot!

I try to attract orioles with oranges but only the red-bellied woodpecker seems to eat it. The only time Orioles come to my yard they eat something off of the blossoms of a crabapple tree. I tried putting dried fruit out but I usually eat it by the time I get to the birdfeeder.

Blackbirds and Song Thrushes enjoy the sultanas that I've been putting out on the bird table recently. They will also eat apple and banana when I have some that have gone soft.

I read on another site (can't remember where) that if you put out dried fruit such as raisins & sultanas then you shoud always soak them in water first, otherwise they swell inside the birds' stomachs - I don't know if this is true or not.

I bought a bag of raisins yesterday, soaked them & put them out on the bird table for the blackbirds & robins. However, bluetits seem to be the only takers so far - when I try new stuff it sometimes takes the birds a few days to try it.

I'm a bit worried that the bag says the raisins are 'glazed' (with vegetable oil, I think) - does anyone know if I'm feeding something that might cause harm?

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian,I have 4 blackbirds and a Song Thrush amongs't others,who devour a huge amount of sultanas and raisins everyday,and do not seem to be suffering from any side effects,except maybe weight gain!!

abagguley said:
I read on another site (can't remember where) that if you put out dried fruit such as raisins & sultanas then you shoud always soak them in water first, otherwise they swell inside the birds' stomachs - I don't know if this is true or not.

I bought a bag of raisins yesterday, soaked them & put them out on the bird table for the blackbirds & robins. However, bluetits seem to be the only takers so far - when I try new stuff it sometimes takes the birds a few days to try it.

I'm a bit worried that the bag says the raisins are 'glazed' (with vegetable oil, I think) - does anyone know if I'm feeding something that might cause harm?

Cheers,

Adrian
I buy the RSPB food this has dried raisins & sultanas in it so I think your safe.

lvn600 said:
What kind of birds will eat china girl or blue princess holly berries?
Hi Ivn600 Blackbirds will eat your blue princess holly berries as to china girl I dont no is it another holly?

lvn600 said:
Its about the same just a little bit lighter green and not as hardy.-thanks
If there is other food about most birds will eat that but say a harsh winter & lots of different birds will eat these berries in the UK with a harsh winter there will be blackbirds, robins, bullfinches, fieldfares etc.

The birds don't seem to like my holly berries which are on a variegated holly bush. I read somewhere that they prefer red berries on a green bush. I have noticed black birds eating them recently though.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back