• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yosemite 8x30 against the field (1 Viewer)

eetundra

A couple of these are now trickling into forum users hands. Has anyone had a chance to compare them to other popular binoculars in the price range like the Nikon Action 7x35 or even something like the Bushnell NatureView series?

And has anyone dared to compare them to the 8x30 EII? 8x30 SLC(gasp)? 8x32 SE(double gasp)? How big is the gap?

Sure it only costs $115, but it is waterproof, and only costs $115!

Last edited:
eetundra said:
A couple of these are now trickling into forum users hands. Has anyone had a chance to compare them to other popular binoculars in the price range like the Nikon Action 7x35 or even something like the Bushnell NatureView series?

And has anyone dared to compare them to the 8x30 EII? 8x30 SLC(gasp)? 8x32 SE(double gasp)? How big is the gap?

There's only one binocular that can compete with the 8X32 SE. I'm certain I need not mention it.

While I am sure it is not optically on par with the SE I want to know how much it is lacking from that level of performance, or more appropriately I think many would like to know what separates it from the 8x32 EII? There is no doubt a difference, but not having wither one to look at, I am curious to find out how much of a difference there is. At the very least somebody could mention how it compares to the 7x35 Action which I do have access to. Maybe the ever-reviewing FrankD will stop in again.

The 7x35 Action is down at my parents at the moment. I loaned it to my father to watch the feeders during the current snow storm. I am expecting to find a Fox Sparrow showing up within the next few days. ;)

Basic differences between it and the SE are fairly simple to elaborate on. The SE has much better edge sharpness/less image out of focus. The SE also has a flatter image. Field curvature is more pronounced in the Yosemite. Brightness is also noticeably better in the SE. Beyond that I would have to have both on hand to comment further.

I will try to post more as soon I get a chance to compare it further.

FrankD said:
Then what would I do with the 7x35 Actions? You, yourself, told me they would little resale value. :)

When the kids don't have'em I use them for astronomy. 7x35s make a good finder.

Leupold 8x30

eetundra said:

Think I got the last pair... But B&H is selling them for $79. Mine should arrive today.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...013&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

yosimite 8X30

$79? That is an amazing price. I have been using mine for casual nature walks for a while now. They perform very well and I think they will be well received by most users. Just my opinion.

I really haven't tried to compare them against other bins. Most of mine are larger models used for astronomy.

Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back