• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron HR80 (1 Viewer)

hI Shaun,

The Hr80 is a good scope, I've recently bought a straight version
from Warehouse express. Yes its an oldish model, Opticron only do the
ED version currently but it has good colour contrast, brightness and
low chromatic abberation( for a non ed). It also holds high magnification
very well, much better than current gs815 models. Use with hdf 27x, 38x
or hdf zoom and results are very sharp, still usable at 72x!

steve

The HR80 ed is still a current model with Opticron, but will cost about £600
for the body only. Warehouse express still have a few HR80 standards lying around for about £350 and this is the model I bought, performance wise it is good, better than current gs815 models. the new HR80 is not out yet and does promise to be better and lighter (the HR80 is a heavy scope) but this will
cost £700+ just for the body.

steve

Is the Opticron HR80 a scope worth bidding on or is it outdated now.

Shaun

I think Shaun was thinking of the original cream. metal straight HR80. There was one going on Ebay about the same time.
If it has the metric threads for the eyepieces, its still a good scope. I have a HR60 with the imperial thread, so the decent fixed eyepieces ( HDF ) don't fit althought the HDF Zoom does, on the eypiece cover threads. I use it in hides just resting it on the sill when I don't want to bother with my ES80 and tripod.

Its an old scope with good glass!.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back