• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New IS WP range (1 Viewer)

h5djr

Anybody purchased or used one of the new IS WP range of scopes?

I'm considering one as my first steps into digiscoping, probably with the Opticron NV10 kit.

Would it be much better to go for a better (more expensive) scope at this stage.

Many thanks for any advice or opinions.

I had an IS60 for a while, but sold it after looking through an old Kowa TSN3. For the money it was not in the same league, so eventually got an ED scope for myself.
Some of the older scopes being sold second-hand, e.g. Kowa TSN's or Nikon Fieldscopes are now great value for money.

Digiscoping with a non-ed scope is likely to reveal flaws in the image quality that you might not see with your eyes. Cameras are far more sensitive to CA (chromatic aberration or colour fringing) than the human eye.

If you are serious about digiscoping, it would be better to get a better scope at first, rather than lose money on upgrading soon afterwards. As Steve says, a used ED scope might be a good bet if money is tight.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back