• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (35 Viewers)

Whitlingham Aythya

I am in the aythya hybrid camp. Forehead sloping giving wrong headshape, whitish subterminal band to bill, plenty of black on nail too. I suspect it should be more advanced now if it was a scaup too. Most 1w I have seen in recent years are almost adult like in late winter.
Just my opinion based on distant views yesterday.
Cheers

Aythya was still present this morning at the east end of Whitlingham Great Broad, though again poor light and it was on the other side of the broad from me so again no photo. Size appears intermediate between TU and PO. Head shape varied during observations, initially looking more rounded than I'd noted on Saturday, but later looking more pointy (above/in front of eye). The amount of black on the nail is, I think, more than expected for an adult Scaup but probably not enough to rule out a first-year (going by the illustrations in the Macmillan bible). There does appear to be a paler (whiter?) area between the black nail and the grey majority of the bill but distance prevented me from establishing the true extent of this - if anyone gets close views in the coming days, then try to concentrate on this. Also has a hint of a pale area on the lores.

Otherwise, Slavonian Grebe makes five for the year at the broad, plus Red-necked, Great Northern Diver, 2 Smew, Goosander, Ruddy Duck and a long-overdue year-tick Kingfisher.

Interesting (well, as interesting as hybrid ducks get!)
Sounds like it could well be a Tufted x Pochard if it has a pale subterminal band to the bill
That will teach me for not looking too closely at it.

Titchwell January 20th

Today's highlights

Smew - 3 redheads on grazing marsh pool
Spotted redshank - 5 on brackish marsh
Avocet - 6 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Mealy redpoll - 1 in alders around visitor centre

Paul

Good to see you back blogging Josh, the world of birding needs you to show us that we are still sane! And they say confession is good for the soul (still trying to work out what you were doing down Waveney!!)

Did you get any look at the 'scaup' it seems to be causing some discussion/confusion! I really should look harder at birds!!

PS for anyone interested I've put a pic quiz on my blog - not just Norfolk, but fun none the less!

Whitlingham again now five grebe species seen

Soon put onto slav grebe to complete the set of five, all year-ticked on Whitlingham Great Broad in the first 20 days of 2010.

Red-necked grebe also seen. As with slav on the far side.

I walk to Little Broad to look for siskin and redpoll in the alders - none seen. As I turn the corner on the tarmac lane by Little Broad alders a kingfisher darts along the dyke next to the Broad.

Record shots taken with my Panasonic FX28 of both scarce grebes.

On the way back I point out where the grebes are to a newly arrived birder. Both of us at the end of the trees east of the visitor centre where the proper tarmac road stops. Six birds fly into ivy-covered birch by the path intersection - all lesser redpolls.

I arrive back at the Conservation Area where I parked. The great northern diver, elusive and previously not seen on this visit has settled by the posts next to the cormorants.

No time to look out for the scaup. No sign of a tuft, as far as I could see on Monday 18th. Tempted to call the scaup a first winter male but not 100% sure.

Attachments

• Red-necked Grebe Whitlingham Great  Broad 20 Jan 2010.JPG
    Red-necked Grebe Whitlingham Great Broad 20 Jan 2010.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 98
  • Slav grebe side on Whitlingham Great Broad 20 Jan 2010.JPG
    Slav grebe side on Whitlingham Great Broad 20 Jan 2010.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Slav grebe Whitlingham Great Broad 20 Jan 2010.JPG
    Slav grebe Whitlingham Great Broad 20 Jan 2010.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Paul - why a 'complete set of 5'? Set your sights high and make it 6 out of 6!! You never know, you might find the next one yourself (and I'll be over to see it!!)

Paul - why a 'complete set of 5'? Set your sights high and make it 6 out of 6!! You never know, you might find the next one yourself (and I'll be over to see it!!)

OK but a lesser scaup would be even better!

With great northern diver at Whitlingham and black-throated diver at Lowestoft the only diver I need for 3 out of 3 on my 2010 year list is red-throated!!!
(A second white-billed diver in Norfolk or seeing a pacific diver another matter altogether!)

Last edited:
About 35 years ago I visited a marshy area east of Sherringham that had loads of Marsh Heliborines and Sundew etc.

Anybody know if it still survives, what it is called and is it still accessible?

Good to see you back blogging Josh, the world of birding needs you to show us that we are still sane! And they say confession is good for the soul (still trying to work out what you were doing down Waveney!!)

Did you get any look at the 'scaup' it seems to be causing some discussion/confusion! I really should look harder at birds!!

PS for anyone interested I've put a pic quiz on my blog - not just Norfolk, but fun none the less!

Waveney - eh, explain? i was out seeing some birds!

My only view on the Scaupy thing is that it is exceedingly ugly but a more detailed discussion is now on my blog and don't worry it is artistic license not insanity although some may beg to differ o:D

Behave Josh !

Hi guys, Argy Bhaji birding is up and running again with a brand noo post, to the peeps who matter if i over stepped the mark apols.

http://mcccallum.blogspot.com/

Josh. Have a great "Punkbirder" story re a claimed Hooded Warbler from last autumn on fair isle. I am led to believe pictures were taken by the finder. No need to panic, the bird was a Willow Warbler. I look forward to the ID article in birdwatch- could be interesting!!:cat::cat:

Having said that I could do something on Egrets and plastic bags - nobody has made that error have they!!:cat::cat:

Titchwell January 21st

Today's highlights

Smew - 1 redhead on grazing marsh pool
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Slav grebe - 1 offshore
Red kite - 1 hunting over saltmarsh

Paul

Black Brant

Not hugely interesting but has anyone seen a pukka black brant on the putting green at wells recently, we had a look today but only found what looked like 2 hybrid black brant x dark bellied brents ?

Holkham in the EDP

Article on EDP24 website

Two thoughts - will habitats be protected?
Where will the car parking fee money be spent.

Concern at threat to Norfolk coast
CHRIS HILL
Last updated: 21/01/2010 15:04:00

David Horton-Fawkes, estates director at Holkham. Photo: Ian Burt.
One of north Norfolk's major landowners has voiced "real concerns" about long-term plans aimed at managing the impact of climate change along its coastal borders.

Senior Environment Agency (EA) planners are finalising an updated shoreline management plan (SMP) for the 75km stretch of coast from Hunstanton to Kelling.

A four-month public consultation on the draft ideas was completed in November with feedback due to be taken into account before final plans are presented to councils for adoption in March.

But a response from the Holkham Estate raises concern about the impact on farmland and freshwater habitats and says the consultation should be extended to allow direct dialogue on any changes made.

An EA spokesman said the estate had been involved in three key stakeholder workshops before the public consultation and all comments would be considered before the final plans were produced.

The estate owns 6,100 hectares of agricultural land, tourism and leisure businesses and the protected Holkham National Nature Reserve, which includes salt and freshwater marshes.

A letter from Holkham's estates director David Horton-Fawkes and Mark Little, director of property firm Savills, says protection of farmland should be a higher priority, while assumptions relating to tidal effects should be revisited.

David Horton-Fawkes, estates director at Holkham. Photo: Ian Burt.
It says: "We have real concerns that a number of the parameters within which the SMP has been based are flawed. In particular, we are concerned that long-term records of marshland accretion and the impact of tidal forces in the area have been misinterpreted.

"Local knowledge indicates that some of the assumptions made will not be realised in practice."

One of the draft SMP ideas was to move the eastern flood bank at Wells further inland, sacrificing farmland to allow a greater tidal flow while maintaining the flood protection for properties and roads.

The EA believes this would improve navigation by scouring the harbour, and reduce pressure on Holkham dunes as a natural flood defence and wildlife habitat.

The Holkham Estate letter says: "We are of the view that insufficient weight has been applied to the protection of agricultural land, with loss of such areas being disregarded within the cost/benefit analysis. This is particularly short-sighted in view of the future need for increased food supply and the associated food security issues."

The letter also says there is no indication as to what compensation would be available if the proposals become policy. An EA spokesman said compensation for flooding losses was a matter for national government, and landowners were able to build their own defences subject to gaining relevant consents.

"We have always been open to direct dialogue with all landowners along the stretch of the north Norfolk shoreline management plan and we have received comments from the Holkham Estate which have been considered," she said.

"Comments received during the consultation period have been taken into account and have led to some proposed changes to the SMP. These have yet to be considered and agreed by elected representatives."

Last edited:
Norfolk at the turn of August

It should be good for wader passage, at that time- all along the coast and in the county generally. Last year was particularly good for cuckoos, too (!).

Beeston Bog and Common will be rich in plant life, with some of the rarer flowers in bloom, in addition to a nice selection of butterflies, dragonflies, hoverflies and other insects.

The weather is not guaranteed. I can remember having had to put the central heating on at the end of July, in the decade and more I have now lived here.

Waveney - eh, explain? i was out seeing some birds!

My only view on the Scaupy thing is that it is exceedingly ugly but a more detailed discussion is now on my blog and don't worry it is artistic license not insanity although some may beg to differ o:D

So Josh,

I have seen your blog and agree that the 'Scaupy thing' is ugly. Has everyone ruled out an ugly Scaup?
I know it is sad to care too much but I spent far too many years birding in London reservoirs and having not much else to look at rather than various Aythya hybrids..including some that seemed to have bits of Ring necked in them (duck not parakeet that is...although that would be interesting!)

Anyway.... its winter ...just craving some ID challenges. Lets get a 'turtle dove' in Norfolk, like the one in Holland right now. That would be fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back