• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings from Greece! Newbie here (1 Viewer)

Hi DreadedS and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Your "duck" is a Muscovy Duck, an escaped farmyard duck.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Thank you everyone for your welcome! I have a question which might sound dumb but I am not very knowledgeable about birds - I just love watching them - the Kingfisher that I see seems to be here all year round. I'm on a Greek Island (Kefalonia) which has distinct seasons, we have snow in Jan/Feb on the hills and it gets down to around 6 degrees but it's extremely hot in July/August/Sept. Do they not migrate at all? Or is he an odd one?

Hi DreadedS

Basically Kingfishers are residents, but may move to lower altitudes in the cold of winter.

Here, where I am in the almost highlands, it can get very cold in the winter months (currently -2 ish) and the slow moving water is likely to be frozen, reducing their ability to fish. So they move to the estuaries where it is a few degrees warmer.

I don't think it would generally get that cold where you are, so they may well stay all year.

You can read more about them HERE in our Opus section.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back