• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Petition to Ban Driven Grouse Shooting (1 Viewer)

Yep, agreed, & signed!

Well, except that it wasn't so much as 'disappointingly handled' by parliament, as 'disgracefully handled'

The outcome was certainly a disgrace. What was disappointing was turnout in the Commons in support of the motion; that could and should have been stronger.

The worry I have is, for the EU referendum I am constantly being told "you lost, get over it".
How does this differ? or what should our response be when the shooting community say "you lost, get over it"

The worry I have is, for the EU referendum I am constantly being told "you lost, get over it".
How does this differ? or what should our response be when the shooting community say "you lost, get over it"

Those signing the petition did not lose, they won in as much as they raised the required number of signatories to get the matter debated in parliament - it is just, if I remember correctly, the politicians basically dismissed it without serious discussion.

In this case, fully worthy to raise it again, no?

That's a very well reasoned argument. I agree 100%. Unfortunately, logic doesn't seem to play a part these days. It's like an offside goal being allowed.. it's in the papers tomorrow is all that counts.

Maybe some figures showing how the persecution has continued since the debate would give more validity to revisiting the issue.

I don't want to put people off signing the petition. Just want us to be fore-armed and prepared.

The other worry I have is if this can be replayed, then why not fox hunting?

Signed it (like I did the last one).

However, I know that if I contact my MP asking them to support this all I will get is either some bluster about it not being part of their remit to consider such a representation from a constituent (they did this over communication about local NHS cuts...said MP is a former governor of the local acute NHS trust...) or some other bluster about how much money it brings into the constituency (or in our case into the pockets of the local aristocracy).

Did I also mention that said MP is a member of a prominent local land-owning family?

Signed! Only 100 signatures to go now :)
This should show that we will not back down, and that we want a better handling of the debate.
I honestly fear that if something major does not happen, we will loose the beautiful Hen Harrier very fast.

Signed! Only 100 signatures to go now :)
This should show that we will not back down, and that we want a better handling of the debate.

Alas, all that the extra 10,000 signatures will generate is a dead-bat response drafted by a civil servant. Nevertheless, it's still worth creating that hassle because it demonstrates the strong feeling on the issue.

I honestly fear that if something major does not happen, we will loose the beautiful Hen Harrier very fast.

I am very sorry to say that I think that this is inevitable. Shot to oblivion in the interests of monetary greed. :-C

The Government has responded to the petition you signed: flannel, waffle, flannel, business comes first, blah, blah, blah.

Well, what else did we expect? :C

The DEFRA response describes the illegal persecution of raptors as the "Targeted control of problem species is only one part of a complex mix of factors that can influence populations". I find this an extremely disturbing way to describe orchestrated and persistent law-breaking by shooting interests. The sinister nature of this description comes into still sharper focus when one considers the persistent pressure from the CA et al to have licences to destroy Buzzards (etc) more widely available.

Incidentally, I cannot see how this topic can be realistically addressed without acknowledging the excessive influence of wealthy patrician class who are almost as quick to complain about 'class war' as they are to use the old boys' network, their disproportionate power in Parliament, the press and elsewhere to circumvent the law and snuff out changes that the population as a whole supports. Like it or not, the power wielded by a relatively small numbers of large landowners, who clearly regard themselves above certain aspects of the law, is part of the problem. A failure to recognise this only plays into the hands of the real extremists, that is those who routinely break the law with poison, trap and gun for a narrow sectional interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back