• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laurel Pigeon Tenerife (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Off on a family holiday in mid feb to Tenerife. Missed Laurel Pigeon last time, so looking for current gen on where exactly is best to go to see it, and how important is time of day. Also, is Barolo Shear a possibility at that time of year? Any advice greatly received.

cheers,

Larry

Mirador de la grimona in the afternoon was fine in November. Prepare for a cricked neck!i also saw them from the tf342 west of icod el alto where it crosses the barranco de Ruiz. Viewing eastwards in the afternoon
(28.3732793,-16.6254536)
James

Thanks a lot James, that's a very different spot from where I went in the far northwest of the island about 20 years ago. Has the species been spreading on Tenerife? Do you know if that's the most reliable spot these days? Will I need a scope? Might be a struggle to get the tripod in as hand luggage.

Where we're staying is further south, on the west coast. Anyone know if there's a reliable spot that would be nearer/ easier than Mirador la Grimona?

mirador de la grimona seems to be the modern classic spot. Scope absolutely vital here IMO unless you are happy with really distant views.

The other spot i've mentioned is in the dave gosney guide. My scope had been stolen by the time i got there but it would have been difficult to use one anyway, as it is the edge of a road and you have to tuck yourself in between the concrete blocks protecting the cars from the drop into the ravine... I got repeated excellent flight views of both pigeon species (mostly bolle's) with binoculars, but i won't deny lack of a scope would have been frustrating if any of them had done the decent thing and landed in an exposed perch.

Patience was necessary at both spots as it took about 45 minutes before anything happened but on both occasions there seemed to be a flurry of activity once it started.

I did not try Erjos which is probably the most easily accessed laurel forest from the west coast. You are probably talking an extra 30-40 mins drive to the spots i describe.

cheers,
James

Mirador La Grimona was good for Laurel pigeon, I saw it on both my visits and the views I got with my binoculars were sufficient, eventhough a scope would of course always be the better choice. Also at Barranco de Ruiz I saw several Laurel pigeons, before I finally got views of a Bolle's, which was much more difficult for me. Also don't drive up all the way to "El Lomo" (which is what I first did) and squeeze between the blocks, but park here 28°22'34.8"N 16°37'34.4"W
Views are much better and you don't have to fear for cars taking away your life.

At Erjos I only had fly away Bolle's...

Also at Barranco de Ruiz I saw several Laurel pigeons, before I finally got views of a Bolle's, which was much more difficult for me. Also don't drive up all the way to "El Lomo" (which is what I first did) and squeeze between the blocks, but park here 28°22'34.8"N 16°37'34.4"W
Views are much better and you don't have to fear for cars taking away your life.

agree about the spot for parking. There's a great view over lots of laurel forest here, plenty of space to wield a scope as well. But, it is very open and the trees are rather a long way away.

If you walk further up the road (just past the little pull-in) the barranco is much narrower and consequently if pigeons are flying up and down the ravine, or perching on exposed branches they will be pretty close. I don't think this location is dangerous so much as a bit unnerving. There's not a huge amount of traffic and if you stand in the gaps between the blocks you are totally safe (as long as you don't slip over the edge....)

James

agree about the spot for parking. There's a great view over lots of laurel forest here, plenty of space to wield a scope as well. But, it is very open and the trees are rather a long way away.

If you walk further up the road (just past the little pull-in) the barranco is much narrower and consequently if pigeons are flying up and down the ravine, or perching on exposed branches they will be pretty close. I don't think this location is dangerous so much as a bit unnerving. There's not a huge amount of traffic and if you stand in the gaps between the blocks you are totally safe (as long as you don't slip over the edge....)

James

I only had a very limited amount of time and spent ca. 20 minutes waiting in the curve and had absolutely nothing and it was my last chance to get Bolle's. I was superlucky my girlfriend agreed to give me another 5 minutes at the parking spot and I had both species in 2 minutes, especially Laurel Pigeon which was abundant.

Maffong

Thanks a lot guys,really helpful :t:. Anyone know if Barolo Shearwaters, or other tube-nose specials are even around mid Feb? We might fit in a day trip to La Gomera on the ferry if that's poss.

I only had a very limited amount of time and spent ca. 20 minutes waiting in the curve and had absolutely nothing and it was my last chance to get Bolle's. I was superlucky my girlfriend agreed to give me another 5 minutes at the parking spot and I had both species in 2 minutes, especially Laurel Pigeon which was abundant.

Maffong

yes i wouldn't recommend looking down the valley from the hairpin. there's not much of a view from there due to large trees nearby.

my favoured spot was immediately south of a little pull-in in between the mirador and the hairpin

28°22'28.0"N 16°37'30.3"W

but overall, there is a lot of luck involved. You could see loads from one spot and none from another.

just be prepared to wait.

sorry i can't help with tubenoses Larry.

James

This may be a bit off-piste but how about a trip over to La Palma? Both pigeons are plentiful at Los Tilos for example and you may get lucky with the shearwater from the ferry?

Joost

It seems that the shearwaters gather close in to the shore late evenings from most of the headlands around Tenerife, I was there in September close to Adeje, and there was always a large gathering fairly close to shore of Corys shearwater, ( Never got Barolos ) and then as dusk came on they could be heard calling ( Its a very strange call ) passing inland over our apartment towards Barranco Del Infierno, which was some 4 miles from the shore possibly roosting ? in fact I heard them calling at Barranco del Infierno from a hillside restaraunt !, so your best bet would be to scan from a headland late evening...good luck and let us know how you get on. The crossbill guide to Tenerife and La gomera is a great little book too.

P.s Cannot help on the pigeons as I failed on both

Last edited:
It seems that the shearwaters gather close in to the shore late evenings from most of the headlands around Tenerife...

Barolos seem to do that, too. I know from sightings in March just before dusk from the area west of Realejo Bajo (28°23'37"N; 16°36'6"W) and from Las Aguas (28°23'47"N; 16°38'31"W). Both coordinates are approximate. I have no idea where the best spot for seawatching is, have never been there myself. But apparently there have been multiple sightings from both spots.

Cheers
W.

Off on a family holiday in mid feb to Tenerife. Missed Laurel Pigeon last time, so looking for current gen on where exactly is best to go to see it, and how important is time of day. Also, is Barolo Shear a possibility at that time of year? Any advice greatly received.

cheers,

Larry

Any luck with the Barolos shearwater on Tenerife Larry ?

Any luck with the Barolos shearwater on Tenerife Larry ?

Grrrrrrrrr! Well, the Laurel Pigeon was certainly a doddle at the mirador La Grimona, with at least 20 seen between 4pm and 4.30 :t:.
on it
My only serious pop at he Barolo was going on a 2 hour dolphin spotting trip from Los Gigantes, which headed out at 3.30. Best ever views of Cory's right by the little boat.
But.... non-birding friend pointed out a small very pied-looking bird sitting on the water just a bit too late for me to be able to get anything on it. As the boat got further away I just lost it and it never took off. Can't think what else it could be, but I messed it up. Not as bad as my other experience 20 years ago, when 3 out of 5 birders on a ferry between Spain and the UK saw one, and 2 of us couldn't get on to it. I saw it a split second before it hit the water and was lost...... one day! :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back