• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (17 Viewers)

Had a few hours walking around the Cley reserve yesterday, nothing of note to report to the rarity hunters or year listers but an enjoyable visit nonetheless. Highlight of the afternoon were the 5 Spoonbill (sleeping as usuall!!) and a further 3 flying in to settle in the small pool next to the hide and some stunning looking Black Tailed Godwits in summer plumage. Spent the last of the afternoon sat on the beach watching Sandwich and Little Terns flying west pressumably heading to Blakeney Point to feed young!

The coasthopper service has a new website which might be of interest to some....

http://www.coasthopper.co.uk/

Snaps....

Matt

Attachments

• 100_9681 (Custom).JPG
    100_9681 (Custom).JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_9626 (Custom).JPG
    100_9626 (Custom).JPG
    20 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_9653 (Custom).JPG
    100_9653 (Custom).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_9689 (Custom).JPG
    100_9689 (Custom).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_9641 (Custom).JPG
    100_9641 (Custom).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 55
At Cley NWT yesterday late afternoon/early evening, 5 Spoonbills, 1 ad Spotted Redshank, c100 Black-tailed Godwits.

Cheers,
Jono

Titchwell June 19th

Today's highlights

Not much around today, now into the mid-summer blues

Marsh tit - 1 around feeders, a scarce Titchwell bird
Knot - 2000 roosting on fresh marsh
Pintail - drake on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 hunting martins over reserve

Paul

An evening saunter round Titchwell produced a nice spotted redshank, little gull and summer plumage dunlin on the fresh marsh, a little tern fishing on tidal marsh and half a dozen more off the beach.

Stunning views of a summer plumaged male Snow Bunting along the shoreline shingle ridge east of the East Bank yesterday afternoon.... can't believe there was hardly anyone there. This is a crazy record for Midsummer's Day, and a beautiful bird to boot... but apparently everyone took the attitude that they'd already seen loads in the winter and didn't bother with it!

Stunning views of a summer plumaged male Snow Bunting along the shoreline shingle ridge east of the East Bank yesterday afternoon.... can't believe there was hardly anyone there. This is a crazy record for Midsummer's Day, and a beautiful bird to boot... but apparently everyone took the attitude that they'd already seen loads in the winter and didn't bother with it!

I had the same conversations yesterday. :eek!:

It was a great bird and here are a couple of shots for those who missed it.

Dave

Attachments

• Snow Bunting 090621 IMGP9347 50.jpg
    Snow Bunting 090621 IMGP9347 50.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Snow Bunting 090621 IMGP9358 50.jpg
    Snow Bunting 090621 IMGP9358 50.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 118
I've posted my theory on the decreaseed number of hurindines in the UK on >>this thread<<
Just a theory, but comments welcome...

Nice shots of the Snow Bunting by the way Dave, very unusual record!

Last edited:
Titchwell June 22nd

Today's highlights

Spotted flycatcher - 1 in trees along main path although elusive
Spotted redshank - 4 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 4 males on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Knot - 900 roosting on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard - female with 5 young on grazing marsh pool

Paul

Or maybe some of us were in Wales instead!

Simon

snow buntings, shorelark, etc.

I'd been told that there were no records of snow bunting in norfolk this previous winter, although I did find it hard to believe. Can someone summarise how the winter was for this bird, along with Shore Lark and Lapland Bunting? Much appreciated.

all the best

There were plenty of Snow Bunting, at Salthouse, Holkham, Caister, various expected sites. However, Lapland was very scarce as I recall, and Shore Lark pretty much non-existent anywhere south of Shetland!

I'd been told that there were no records of snow bunting in norfolk this previous winter, although I did find it hard to believe. Can someone summarise how the winter was for this bird, along with Shore Lark and Lapland Bunting? Much appreciated.

all the best

I saw a small flock of Snow Buntings between Gypsy Lane and Brancaster this spring. Flocks of over 100 were reported from Holkham and Caister, it seemed like a normal year for them. No sign of any Shorelark, most years I have seen them in Holkham Bay but nothing this winter. There were at least two Lapland Buntings in the county, one Cley/Salthouse and one Holme/Thornham that I remember being reported.

Regards,
James

RBA has just reported a Red Backed Shrike at Thornham today - does anyone know where, when please? - just got home from work and tired, but if its still about, will force myself out of the door!;)

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back