• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (18 Viewers)

Went out into the garden around midnight and the sky was alive with Redwing and fieldfare calls. A few mipits as well. Low cloud meant there was nothing to see, just the calls floating down from above.

Anyone know anything about the Azorean Gull on the RBA map at Yarmouth yesterday?

I don't have anymore first hand info, but the Lowestoft Lounge Lizard website makes reference to a dark-headed Yellow-legged Gull being present at the harbour mouth for a week. My guess is that now people have seen the pictures of the Oxfordshire bird, they are now looking again at what had previously been considered just a streaky michaelis. I would be interested to hear what anyone who has seen it thinks.

Went out into the garden around midnight and the sky was alive with Redwing and fieldfare calls. A few mipits as well. Low cloud meant there was nothing to see, just the calls floating down from above.

I poked my head out of the window for a while at midnight last night as well, but no luck with any winter thrushes, just a local Tawny Owl calling. This morning though, 23 Redwings dropped into the back garden very briefly, and a few finches have been moving overhead - mostly Chaffinches. A Lapwing going South was a nice surprise too...

Hi James!
You sure your 'porpose' isn't a long-dead Tuna? Certainly seems to have a dorsal fin and opercular opening....

Cheers for the suggestion. I sent off pictures to get it checked, and Dave Leech (Mammal recorder) and Dave Powell (SeaWatch) both think Harbour Porpoise. I will have a look for decaying tuna pictures just in case though ;)

Anyone bird watching in the upper Yare Valley this weekend might like to check out any common buzzards closely. The other day i had very close views of a juvenile honey buzzard playing tag with a common buzzard.

"Pisher" scored again late morning with a Firecrest at Holme Dunes, but I had no joy with the yellow browed warbler although it has now been trapped and rung by the N.O.A., so may have another chance later.

Redwings in my garden in Strumpshaw at lunchtime following a morning visit back to my old patch at Grafham Water. A quick look at Horsey in the pm revealed stacks of Brents going west offshore and plenty of Wigeon too. Three Wheatears in the dunes and several Robins and Redwings too. No YBW which I found out had been present near the car park earlier.
Cheers,

A day around the patch started off well this morning with the Barred Warbler at the old farm buildings between East and West Runton, mainly in flight but it did show briefly a couple of times in the elders.

With a good movement of wildfowl along the sea evident from there, I decided to do a seawatch from the beach car park and was rewarded with a Black Guillemot which flew in from the east and then landed on the sea off the car park but then promptly vanished!

After an hour or so of scanning I picked it up again very briefly, and then over the next couple of hours had a couple more tantalizing views but frustratingly to brief to get Penny & Co onto it as it was just disappearing into the troughs never to rematerialise. However it did give the impression that it was hanging around the area so hopefully may become a little more co-operative if the winds calm down.

Other birds of note passing included a RB Merg, Eider, Peregrine chasing a pipit over the sea, good numbers of Brent Geese, Wigeon and Teal, plus a few Pintail, Common Scoter and single Shelduck and Tufted, plus a few distant auks and waders. Skylarks, Meadow Pipits and Starlings were also noted passing by.

Lots of thrushes including a few Redwings were evident in the bushes around East Runton/Cromer, and this evening there were a couple of Yellow-browed Warblers at the east end of Overstrand Village.

Simon

Skua prediction

Looks interesting Sun afternoon Mon morning, strong overnight NW calming and swinging NE by morning. I'd have a guess Skuas will be going W reorientating early Monday may be the case again though more past Cley than Sheringham. Reckon predominantly Poms, most be juvs with some ads ferrying. any LTS be juv. could be even better at Holme and surely a day for inland /river watchers, with the talk about them liking calm conditions. I look forward to being proved completely worng!

Nice one Simon, one of those purple patch days

Redwings in my garden in Strumpshaw at lunchtime following a morning visit back to my old patch at Grafham Water. A quick look at Horsey in the pm revealed stacks of Brents going west offshore and plenty of Wigeon too. Three Wheatears in the dunes and several Robins and Redwings too. No YBW which I found out had been present near the car park earlier.
Cheers,

Yes, an embarassingly overdue Horsey tick for me this morning. Heard only unfortunately, in the scrub along the entrance track. Otherwise, I agree there seemed to be more Robins than usual, plus quite a few Song Thrushes. Had a flyover pipit that I think was a Water but I never feel confident telling from Rock on call alone. Also 3 redpolls, 12 Swallow and not a lot else.

Pair of cranes (Wayne and Jane, as named by my son!) again showing well in field across road from Horsey Mill car park but they still don't seem to have been joined by their Canadian cousin Sandy....

Cheers

Andy
www.bubo.org

Another Bus Expedition!!!

Walked in the dark for 30 minutes, caught normal service bus from Lynn and arrived in Hunstanton with 45 minutes to kill before first Coastliner bus at 8.15am. Walked via the bakers and bought 2 hot cheese scones;), one of which I shared with gulls on the seafront while watching 22 Shelduck and 12 Common Scoters all flying west. Freezing cold first thing this morning! Several house sparrows flitting about around the cliff top garden.

Snooze on the bus, felt really tired! Had intended to start at Sheringham seawatching, but the bus would not have got there until 9.40am!! (found out later that 2 puffins had been seen early morning:-C) Anyway on route to Sheringham the Pager bleeps up with 'Barred Warbler at West Runton around disused farm buildings'...... Ok right lets give Sheringham a miss for now!;) the bus driver dropped me right at the farm buildings:t: on site were Dave A., Brenda and myself. Dave spotted John F and I phoned John to ask him exactly where he had seen the Barred Warbler. John came back and helped us find it, and we saw it in flight and sitting on a bush at 10am- (Thankyou John:t:) Felt really pleased that I had managed to see this via bus! Sue B. then joined us along with others and we watched it again in an large elder by one of the buildings. Several people that arrived after that weren't so lucky. Several robins, hedge sparrows, meadow pipits about and a sparrowhawk flew into a bush.

Sue very kindly offered me a left to Sheringham (Thanks Sue:t:) and we joined Phil V. and Mick and another couple for a seawatch. Totals between 11.30am and 12.45pm that I saw: 1 Arctic Tern west, 2 Red Throated Divers east, 5 Gannets (inc 2 juvs), 120 Brent Geese, 2 Red Breasted Mergansers, 62 Wigeon, 2 Turnstones west, 40 Common Scoter, 1 Rock Pipit landed on shingle (11.45am), 30 Teal, 10 Dunlin, 6 Meadow Pipits, 2 Sandwich Terns and several Cormorants sitting on the groynes. Pager bleeped up Black Guillimot 11.30am on sea, seen from Beach Carpark at West Runton, but not seen since. Sue had had to leave while I was there - Mick very kindly offered me a lift (Thanks Mick:t:) to West Runton, so off we went and stood on the cliff top with Simon (who found it) and 2 other birders and scanned the seas in the cold and wind from 1pm until I think it was around 2.20pm - good numbers of brent geese going by, 1 Razorbill, 1 Guillimot, a Peregrine chasing a meadow pipit BUT frustratingly no Black Guillimot. Found out later in my travels today from a little 'bird' that the black guillimot has been seen in the area last week as well!!!!!!!!:-C

Got fed up scanning the sea in the cold, so walked along the cliff top, west to Beeston Bump intending to find some goodies in the bushes below the bump. Quite a flurry of birds including several blackbirds, 2 redwings, wrens, hedge sparrows, robins and goldfinches but nothing mega appeared! Walked back over railway crossing and while waiting for the 3.45pm bus on the main road, a grey wagtail flew over calling!

Trundled down the road and got off at Walsey Hills - nothing there.

Caught next bus to Holkham arriving 5.46pm. Marched down to the hide/scyamore tree and had a brief glimpse (after heavy pishing and 'birdcalling'!) of the Yellow Browed Warbler at 6.15pm in the sycamore tree with long tailed tits next to right hand fork and then it shot across into the pine tree/bushes opposite. Marched back and realised that I needed to run down Lady's Anne's Drive and JUST caught the 6.43 bus:eek!: back to Lynn. The sky was filled with Pinkfeet flying in over low rolling mist over the marsh. Cat napped on the way back - interesting passengers on the way - a drunk elderly gentleman and a rowdy bunch of yuppies who were rude to the lady bus driver and needed a good slap!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Had a fantastic morning at my local patch, but didnt manage to get to the coast. Highlights included a ringtail Hen Harrier South at 8:35am (first record for the patch!), 6 Snipe South, 2 Grey Wagtail South and 109 Redwing South. Also at least 18 Song Thrush South, with at least 20-30 more small thrushes (Song/Redwing) in the same direction, but were too distant/didn't call. See my site for a full list of migrants.

It is truelly Autumn, and I'm loving it!

Sounds like West Runton was THE place to be today! Did anyone manage all those gems I have read about from the news services??!!
25 Snow Bunting and an Alba Pied wag were my highlights from Happisburgh, details on my blog.
Cheers,
Jim.

First saw the Short Toed Lark around 11am, took until 5pm to see it on the deck !! Dick's Pipit was mainly seen in flight. My mate flushed the buff breasted sand but didn't see it !! The lapland bunting was the easiest thing to see.
We did nip off to wells to see the red breasted fly in between, I think 6 hours in a stubble field would be enought to drive anyone mad !
Cracking day though

Reg Land and myself were at Horsey late morning (following webs at Hickling where we had 2 Med Gulls, 2500 Teal, 20 Ruff) where highlight was undoubtedly a smart Shore Lark on the empty caravan park to the north of Horsey Beach car park. Not a lot else of note, except a few Redpoll sp., Siskins and a few Swallows over. Oh and a Marsh Tit on the entrance track.
This evening at Buckenham Marshes a very white-fronted Peregrine and three Marsh Harriers.
Cheers,

We saw what looked good for 'Northern' (familiaris) Treecreeper in the dell at wells today, very bold white supercillium and white flanks. Just in case anyone is interested !

We saw what looked good for 'Northern' (familiaris) Treecreeper in the dell at wells today, very bold white supercillium and white flanks. Just in case anyone is interested !

Yeah, that's very interesting - I had brief views of what sounds like a very similar bird, NW of the Dell mid morning. Unfortunately, it disappeared before I could study it more carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back