• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mabel at the cliffs! (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Hi folks!

I thought I'd pop down to the local cliffs at Howth today. The weather had cleared and was the season for the seabirds so why not?! Seabirds were not the only attractions of this headland. I also saw Whinchat, Stonechat, Raven, Magpies, two Robins fighting and heard Wrens singing.

At the cliffs I took some awful photos and saw Manx Shearwater, Shags, Cormorants, Herring, Great and Lesser Black-backed Gulls. Kittiwakes were the noisiest and commonest colonists here. Also got my first Guillemots and Razorbills of the year. Also got a few Storm Petrels on the water. Overall, the colonies are small, but doing well. Razorbills seem to be dominant over the Guillemots here. I thought I'd have to search for them!

PHOTOS: (Sorry for the awful quality)
1. Auks
2-4 Kittiwakes
5. Razorbill pair

Attachments

• Auks.JPG
    Auks.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 20
  • KittiwakePair.JPG
    KittiwakePair.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Kittiwakes2.JPG
    Kittiwakes2.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Kittiwakes3.JPG
    Kittiwakes3.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Razorbills.JPG
    Razorbills.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 17
More photos... again, apologies for the quality issues...

Attachments

• Razorbill.JPG
    Razorbill.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 14
  • RazorbillPair.JPG
    RazorbillPair.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Howth3.JPG
    Howth3.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 14
Dont worry about the quality of the shots! Sounds like you saw a good enough range of sea birds....and a Winchat,that would have been a first for me.
Keep em coming!

Hi Mabel,

Whatever the quality of the photos, it matters most that you enjoyed it all and were able to convey it to us as well. Words of it all were just great, but the photos, regardless of quality, still gave us the pictures of Birds we wouldn't otherwise have seen today if it hadn't been for you!

I love Sea Birds Mabel, and these were all a real joy to see. Whenever I see them though it seems that the Guillemots out-weigh the Razors, strange for it to be tother way round for a change and is it something more sinister maybe? I'd love to see Petrels and Shearwaters someday and maybe I will - in time.

Thanks for the trip Mabel,

Sue.

Fantastic Mabel!
What a great day. Unable to see your pics (either me or BF probs) will lookforward to viewing them tommorow

Great report Mabel. Doesn't matter a jot about the quality of the shots, what's important is you got 'em, and enjoyed doing so! and I loved seeing them too!

Good to hear about your cliffs Mabel. Nice to see the pics too, even if you weren't happy with the quality. Some lovely birds there. Shearwaters I rarely see and Storm Petrel would be a lifer for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back