• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migration! Anyone seen anything yet? (1 Viewer)

pie

I saw a large number of Swallows flying east this evening and Siskins & Goldcrest arrived in the garden yesterday.
About an hour ago, the wind picked up and was howling (8pm) I wonder if this will produce anything tomorrow.
Has anyone noticed an increase in movement?

Last edited:
there were alot of stonechats at the newport wetlands this morning, at least 8 in a very small area, no whinchats though? also quite a few blackcap, whitethroat and chiffchaff. it was very overcast first thing this morning to that made a few warblers drop in i suspect.

Hi Luke,
Things are definitely picking up and those lucky enough to live in hot spots are already seeing the odd gem.
I can see the Orkney isles and some east coastal areas have been lucky.
Cant wait for next month when sightings get reported and reading about the drama's unfolding upstairs on the main board.
Tis exciting!!!!!

things could have got interesting last week on your doorstep Sue, if that Olivaceous Warbler sighting had been confirmed!

Sadly no sign of migrations for me. Had Monday off and the weather was awful so everything seemed quiet. Typical as every other day has been sunny for the past week. All the local hawthorn and elder are bursting with fruit but only blackbirds are feeding. Ospreys and honey buzzards appear when I'm not in the right places and don't when I am. I'd be just as happy with something small though so will try tomorrow evening after work.
Chris.

There were still lots of Swallows at my Mum's village today, Pie. They haven't gone from there yet. She lives in Cornwall. It's only about 6 miles from the coast though, so they could be migrants.

things could have got interesting last week on your doorstep Sue, if that Olivaceous Warbler sighting had been confirmed!

I did try for that one Luke, not sure about the location tho, when I searched the address, it showed the Lamby way site. (C'iff foreshore?) anyway, I went there & noticed a few "birders" which is usually a good sign, but they may have been regulars & there was no excitement in the air!
Heard a Cetti's & saw a few UFO's but thats it. Keeping my eye on the Gwent thread "D" aye? ;)

Sadly no sign of migrations for me. Had Monday off and the weather was awful so everything seemed quiet. Typical as every other day has been sunny for the past week. All the local hawthorn and elder are bursting with fruit but only blackbirds are feeding. Ospreys and honey buzzards appear when I'm not in the right places and don't when I am. I'd be just as happy with something small though so will try tomorrow evening after work.
Chris.
Aw bad luck Chris, it's so frustrating when that happens. My biggest downer is when I get home from work after commuting to read about something seen in that area! To make matters worse, I always have my "gear" in the boot...Grrrr! If it helps, you're not alone Chris. lol!

There were still lots of Swallows at my Mum's village today, Pie. They haven't gone from there yet. She lives in Cornwall. It's only about 6 miles from the coast though, so they could be migrants.
Oh Val, it must be nice visiting your mum in such a beautiful part of the country. Are you ever tempted to pop over to the Scilly Isles!
Thank you all for posting your observations, things are definately moving,
Shame it's a five hour drive to the Norfolk coast! :C

I have never been to the Scilly's, Pie, but I would like to go. We only live about 6 miles from the sea also, but we never go now. Daft as Wembury is a lovely place & Cirl Buntings live there, I have seen them in previous years.

Don't know if anyone checks out Birdguides but there are some "megas" reported today and plenty of other good birds, mostly coastal though.
Had an evening walk and there are still good numbers of swallows but no other migrants around.
Chris.

I have never been to the Scilly's, Pie, but I would like to go. We only live about 6 miles from the sea also, but we never go now. Daft as Wembury is a lovely place & Cirl Buntings live there, I have seen them in previous years.
:eek!::eek!:Oooh Val what a great tick! hope you do get to see them.

Don't know if anyone checks out Birdguides but there are some "megas" reported today and plenty of other good birds, mostly coastal though.
I know Chris, thank goodness for opus!!! That's the closest I'm going to get! ;)

I'm glad of the photos too Pie because as much as I'd like to witness these birds I'm not going to twitch them.
Well although they are resident birds to the UK I have seen what may be migrant birds on this morning's dog walk. A female stonechat and a couple of goldcrests, it's only the second stonechat I've seen in the area and goldcrests do live in the area but are not seen too often. Not quite so many swallows today and a couple of house martins still hanging around. The linnet numbers are dwindling and they don't stay around our way in Winter.

Talking about Swallows Chris, since reading up on Hobby behaviour, Ive been keeping a close eye on the dwindling Martins etc. I did see a "chase" last week but without anyone else to confirm I'm not 100% sure if it was a Hobby.
I hope to be better clued up next year.

I notice the police are getting involved due to high numbers of visitors with the BB'Shrike. I'm not suprised, what a great Bird.

Well done with the Goldcrest, I have heard a few today, I popped over to Parc Slip after work following a sighting of a Willow Tit. No luck with that, but my highlight was dozens of LTT's!

Ah well, we cant all live in Norfolk! |;|

There have been reports of Redwings starting to come back to Central England so I will hopefully start seeing a few migrants myself soon!! There was also a Red Backed Shrike not too far from me yesterday so the Shrikes are starting to move away from the Norfolk coast a bit more now!

There was a single Brambling on my Kent patch yesterday. I only saw four Swallows. At least two of them were youngsters as they still had a lot of yellow gape.

Pat

Sorry about my lateness is joining this thread.

Sadly I missed the large migrationary movements on Sept 7th reported on the N E Coast at Tynemouth and areas nearby. A friend of mine was there and recorded large numbers of Wheatear, Chiffchaff, and Willow Warblers along with Redstarts, Pied Flycatchers, Spotted Flycatchers, Red Backed Shrike and Wryneck. I believe Arctic and Greenish Warblers were about too.

I visited the area a few days later and there was large numbers of Wheatear still about, Redstart, Whinchat, Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers.

Coming in the other direction I have recorded Whooper Swan at thecoast just last week and I am aware Pink Foted Geese have been recorded, but I have yet to see them. Numbers of Teal, Wigeon and Pochard are growing by the day. Sanderling, Turnstone and Knot numbers have increased.

I spotted a Common Sandpiper which was obviously on migration, on the local lake about a week ago. I had never seen one in this area before. It seems to have been a late start and so was very probably a juvenile bird.

Last edited:
Talking about Swallows Chris, since reading up on Hobby behaviour, Ive been keeping a close eye on the dwindling Martins etc. I did see a "chase" last week but without anyone else to confirm I'm not 100% sure if it was a Hobby.
I hope to be better clued up next year.

I notice the police are getting involved due to high numbers of visitors with the BB'Shrike. I'm not suprised, what a great Bird.

Well done with the Goldcrest, I have heard a few today, I popped over to Parc Slip after work following a sighting of a Willow Tit. No luck with that, but my highlight was dozens of LTT's!

Ah well, we cant all live in Norfolk! |;|
There are quite a few reports of pink feet today and a lot of them are local, did see some canada geese this morning flying low over a kids footie match. Shame about the willow tit, I managed to see at least one yesterday and a while later two marsh tits. The books tell you they don't normally live in the same area but quite often they are both seen on my local patch, I just wanted coal tit to make a full (English) house but I see those the least.
Chris.

I haven't seen anything locally yet but I'm going to Spurn Point on Friday. Hopefully there'll be lots of comings and goings going on there.

Hi Pie,

I've just come back from a Borders trip. The locals were excited about Wrynecks and Redstarts turning up. I was too late as usual. Not on the grapevine. I noticed lots of Wheatear on the coast. One was intent on eating something in the mortar at Dunbar Castle. I tried a bit but it must be an acquired taste ;). I saw my first Whooper and Pink-foots of the season. According to the locals the Whooper wasn't a recent arrival, but just hadn't left with it's chums last spring. I don't suppose that one counts but it was nice to get such a good view. The Pink-foots had turned up late this year. Maybe the bad weather is affecting them too.

Attachments

• D00288 (Custom).JPG
    D00288 (Custom).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 12
  • D00346 (Medium).JPG
    D00346 (Medium).JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 11
  • D00335 (Medium).JPG
    D00335 (Medium).JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 11
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back