• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Warbler or...??? (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
This is almost an "asked and answered" but I'm after any info you can give.

I was out on my local patch this morning, and picked up a "W" Warbler, but wasn't sure which W.

So, having just got back in from college, I went into my British Bird Sounds Library for a listen to the songs and (although I still need to check the photos for 100% confirmation) I'm pretty damn sure today's birds were Willow Warblers.

BUT...

When I heard the Wood Warbler song, it seemed familiar to me from my walk out on Friday evening.

At the time, I rather "dismissed" the song I heard as either a Skylark or Pipit of some kind, the former of which (if it was) there were too many to count, the latter of which (if it was) I am so unfamiliar with that they are on the back burner for future learning!

But now I am presented with the exciting possibility that it might have been a Wood Warbler. So, what might I have heard that could be confused with Wood Warbler?

To be more precise, and to quote Collins, it's the "series of melancholy, initially intensified, soft notes, 'tüh tüh tüh-tüh-tüh-tüh' (vaguely like Willow Tit, but the sequence is faster and the notes straighter)."

I'm not quite sure I understand what "straighter" notes are, but I've listened to the Willow Tit call, and I can hear the "vague" resemblance.

So, I've got it down to two, should I hear it again - but are there any more I need to check out?

Hi Birdman,

Wood Warblers have two parts to their song. They do a sort of preamble 'tuh-tuh-tuh' etc which sounds very like a Willow Tit's song. Then they do a very distinctive shimmering trill that sounds like a coin being rolled on a table. It sounds almost as if it's produced by a synthesizer. It's very distinctive, although sometimes they do it a little more half-heartedly, when it can almost sound like the end bit of a Chaffinch's song. Don't know if that helps!

I doubt you would mistake a wood warbler - the trill with which it ends its remarkable song is memorable and beautiful (and sadly missed in this neck of the woods!).

Wood W flourish sounds like saying "psiss" hissing through your teeth repeatedly, faster than human vocal equipment can manage. Its truly unmistakable!

Thanks all...

Certainly I shall now pay attention to see if the melancholy series is followed by the coin roll.

When I heard it the other day, it was this series that stuck in my mind, but as I thought Skylark/Pipit I simply didn't pay close enough attention. Now I am intrigued by the possibilties!

I'd be happy either way to be honest, but Wood Warbler would be nice.

To me the start of Wood Warbler sounds a bit like a string of Siskin flight call notes. Its a little early for them to be as far north as you or I. They tend to arrive in the first week of May, at about the same time as the first Swifts!

OK Jane, fair enough... I'll keep my ears and eyes peeled... and watch out for the Swifts.

Once again, thanks to everyone for their input!

:t:

scampo said:
I doubt you would mistake a wood warbler -

The song should be unmistakable - once you know it!

I went to see the Wood Warbler at Swithland Woods, Leics., last year and I could hear it singing even before I got out of the car!

It was in trees next to the main pathway and as I walked up towards it two birders were walking away from it towards me with puzzled expressions on their faces - 'Any idea where this reported Wood Warbler is supposed to be?' asked one of them!

Of course, they'd never heard one before so were glad that I could point it out to them straight away.

It was a beautiful sunny day, the bird showed well and we were all happy to see it so I didn't 'spoil' the occasion by suggesting that they really ought to have checked out what was to them an unfamiliar song right over their heads!

Hi Jane,
Jane Turner said:
They tend to arrive in the first week of May, at about the same time as the first Swifts!
Had my first Swifts on Sunday(25th),with at least 12 yesterday.
Harry

Wow... no sign of any here. I love the way Wood Warblers shake the trees the sing from...due to the vigour with which they sing.

No sign of the Wood Warblers up this way yet either. Last year 26th April there I came across three in the woods at Barnard Castle so they could be your way already Dave.

Having said that the Pied Flycatchers have turned up already so I doubt the W Warblers be far behind.

Usually get Wood Warblers in the last few days of April here in Northumberland (haven't had a chance to check yet this year with being down in Devon, tho').

Last year I got my earliest ever Wood W, on 22 April, at Langley Castle right beside the A686 near Haydon Bridge.

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back