• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Settings for my Nikon D80 (1 Viewer)

silversnapper1

Hi all,

I'm very new to digiscoping and have now bought a vanguard vps-85 scope and a t mount to use with my Nikon D80 so this may be the first of many stupid questions.

First thing that I have noticed is that when I attach the scope via the t mount, the displays shows F-- so I have absolutely no idea how to set the aperture for good pictures.

Also, I understand that lenses can be stepped down to fit the adaptor for the scope so that I can use the scope attached to maybe my 50mm prime lens. The lens has a 52 mm thread and I believe the scope adaptor thread is 43mm. I assume therefore that I need a 52-43 step down ring.

Can anyone please help me with these queries.

Thank you.

Steve.

You need to set the camera mode to MANUAL. Aperture control is not possible. You can only control exposure by adjusting shutter speed and to a lesser degree ISO. A 28-35mm lens will generally be a better match. If you decide to attach a standard camera lens make sure to have support device to hold/stabilize the camera. You do not want the full weight of the camera hanging on the end of the lens.

I think the 43mm thread of the T-adapter is a different pitch thread to that of step rings. I don't think a 43mm step ring will screw onto the 43mm of the t-adapter, it might go half a turn or something but it wont screw on all the way. I could be wrong but pretty sure that's the case.

Plus if you put a lens on the camera then you need to be photographing through the eyepiece and not the adapter.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back