• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Deed Is Done ... (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

So .. As a follow up to my post about the virtues of ditching my Pana FZ28 for a DSLR ..

I have ordered a Canon 550D body with a Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM lens .. My final decision was made after I saw some of the 'cracking' wildlife shots (birds, mammals etc) which a friend of mine has taken with the same setup .. I had a 'play' with his gear and saw straight away the difference between my FZ28 and the Canon .. Field of view is vastly better and the focus is a stack faster too .. Yes it was obviously heavier but to be fair it isn't really too bad for what I need ..

I'm looking forwards to getting out and about this weekend to see how I go .. Obviously lots to learn regarding getting the best from my setup but in time I'm hoping that I will be fine.

Couple of questions ..

I have noticed that many people have camouflaged the lens and due to it being white I cant say as I blame them !! .. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the best way to do this? I have seen a ready made kit for this lens but wasn't over-impressed with the look of it .. Lens over £1100 and the kit makes it look shocking !!

Also, regarding carrying the camera in the field ... A popular setup seems to be to hang the camera/lens from a long loop which reaches the waist ..This long loop is slung over one shoulder and across the chest .. The camera itself just has a very short strap attached and is secured to the long loop by a small carabina .. When the camera is going to be used it is simply picked up and brought to head height .. The carabina slides up along the long loop and is ready to go .. After taking the shot the camera is then lowered back to the carrying position by your waist .. As I will always be carrying my bins around my neck too this looked to be a good way to prevent getting tangled up when using one or the other ..

Does anyone else use such a setup and if so could you please advise where I can get the same sort of thing from?

Thanks go out to everyone who helped my in my last post regarding making my move from a bridge camera to a DSLR ..

Best wishes,

Dave.

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting the new kit. You will love it, and it should enable you to get some great images.

The camouflage coverings are made by Lenscoat (sold in the UK by Warehouse Express); www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk do something similar (and much cheaper). I use the latter, and think it is great. The main reason that I use the lens cover is to protect it from knocks and bumps.

As regards the straps, they are made by http://www.sun-sniper.com/ or http://www.blackrapid.com/. Both sold (again!) by warehouse Express. But sorry, I do not have first hand experience of either. A cheaper alternative is to use a wide camera strap such as those made by optech.

I have been using the Black Rapid strap for the last few months. It makes a world of difference in carrying the camera and long lens. I can carry the camera and bins at the same time now, which I couldn't really do until I got the Black Rapid. I don't use a camoflage covering, though I've considered them, more for protection than anything else.

I think you will enjoy your new setup very much - congratulations!

I never seen the need for a cover so I can't help you there. But with respect to carrying the lens and camera (I have a 40D with the same lens): I simply carry the camera strap over my right shoulder and stick lens' the tripod collar in my belt. It's simple, but very efficient.

Thomas

I have an all in one camo cover for my 400mm f/5.6, wasn't keen on the bits and pieces set, must see if I can find out who makes it.

Did look at the Blackrapid strap, sure they are great, but still not confident having my camera secured at one point. also I like to leave a q/r plate attached and think this system would put an end to that

There are cheaper lookalike alternatives on Ebay for about 25 quid, can't comment on them though or maybe look at the Optech shoulder sling conversion, looks very similar to me.
I have just bought the Optech Bino/Cam harness and first impressions are pretty good, will do a review once more field trials have been undertaken

My daughter recently bought a 550D and reckon you have made an excellent choice, most impressed with hers and looks to be just about the right compromise of size,quality and price

I bought an Op/tech sling for my Nikon D300 and 80-400 Zoom and it works well although i use both connections as I'm not confident of using just the one. A lot cheaper than the other options mentioned

Nice one Dave, I can safely say you will love your new setup. Bridge cameras are very good, but DSLR + lens Is a superb bit of kit. See you bud..

I bought an Op/tech sling
That's what I use with my gripped Canon 7D and 100-400mm, Alex - a very good bit of kit, and even cheaper if you've already got an Op-tech strap in the house somewhere, because then you only need to buy the strap adaptors to attach to the strap pad.

I attach the strap connector to the strap mount on the bottom of the grip, and it hangs perfectly on my right hand side, keeping all the buttons and dials out of the way of accidental bumping.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your help and your kind words guys ..

I can now get myself a carrying setup and some camouflage thanks to the links provided ..

All I need now is to learn how to use it all properly !!

Onwards and upwards !!!

Dave.

I like to leave a q/r plate attached and think this system would put an end to that

I got an arca swiss style clamp and attached that to the connector on the rapid strap. I can connect the clamp to the plates on either the lens tripod mount or on the bottom of my camera. The camera and lens can easily be unconnected from the strap to mount on a tripod when necessary.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good book to hone my bird/wildlife photography skills ?

Assuming I get some of course :)

Dave

Creative Bird Photography by Bill Coster (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...phy&x=0&y=0&sprefix=creative+bird+photography)

Success with Wildlife Photography by Steve and Ann Toon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Success-Wil...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302674242&sr=1-3)

and

The Magic of Digital Nature Photography by Rob Sheppard (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Digit...7733/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302674338&sr=1-1)

are some of my favorites.

Thomas

I got an arca swiss style clamp and attached that to the connector on the rapid strap. I can connect the clamp to the plates on either the lens tripod mount or on the bottom of my camera. The camera and lens can easily be unconnected from the strap to mount on a tripod when necessary.
Exactly what I do with my 300/2.8 - saves having to keep removing the lens plate. Even with the weight of the 300+ converters (double the weight of the 400/5.6) the strap works very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back